Our Sea Scouts went on a 50 Mile "Land Cruise" over Easter Vacation. For Christmas I recieved a pair of Nike Karsk Hiking boots. They really felt good and I was pumped up about possibly going somewhere with Ms. Dana on my back and not having my little toes blister beyond repair. Previously two cheapo pairs of midweight boots found my little toes blistered badly. I wore them for two days and finally switched to running shoes, which stopped further pain. The damage was all done. I wear a 9 regular, narrow doesn't fit and wide doesn't fit. 9 1/2 is too big and 8 1/2 is too small. I think I could have put another pair of socks on, could have tightened the laces tighter, or I don't know what else. I just know that everytime I go out and walk farther than 5 miles, It's blister city on the toes.

I was in pain for 45 of the 50 miles. Can't wait to do it again next year!!!

My New Boots Story.

While I'm well known for my sexy knees. I can't say the same about my feet.

Shoe and Boot sizes mean nothing. I have size 8's that fit great and have size 9 1/2 that are too small.

I really like Timberland Shoes and have been buying the 100% waterproof Gore-tex. But they are shoes not boots.

While a pair of boots were on the wish list I wasn't in any real hurry to rush out and buy a pair.

Gander Mountain has a store not far from the office.Her That Must Be Obeyed, tells me that I spend way to much in the store. I don't know why but Gander Mountain seems to have a lot of sales that if you don't go in the store you never know anything about. I have found so many great buys that it's just not true. I pop in once a week or so and check it out.

I was in the store and came across a pair of Columbia Titanium boots on a clearance rack. Every other pair had a price tag either $29 or $39.00. I tried them on size 9 1/2 and the fit was good. But no price tag. I called a young Lad who works there over to find out the price. We both knew that even the $39.00 was way too low. But we couldn't find anything that looked even like them. He asked if I really wanted them I said yes so he called the manager over. We looked at all the other boots and still nothing like them. The manager who knows me to see me says that they were all on clearance over the weekend with an extra 25% off. So What did I think about $30.00 I agreed and went to the check out. Again the guy at the check out knows me and gave me the 10% Scout discount.

I got home and looked up my boots on the net and there they were selling for $183.00

I paid $27.00. Next time I was in the store I looked in to see the manager and informed him that he had made a mistake. He said not to worry about it.

So far I haven't really got to wear them. But already I really like them.

Eamonn

Eamonn, that's a ncie deal huh!

As a Scout, I always wore boots form payless. The reason why? They were cheap, and I'd grow out of them quickly. Right now I have a size 8 1/2 shoe, and it looks like thats the way it will stay.

A few years back though, I wanted the best boots I could find. We were preparing for a Summer Trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains and I put the best pair of boots I could find on my wish list. I searched and searched until I could find brown leather, to match my uniform.

Finally I decided on L.L. Bean's Classic upland Boots. They are water proof and ride high about 8 inches I think. Besides the fact that the height helps wehn hiking, and preventing twists, I can tuck my pants in the boots and look pretty neat.

I am on my second pair now, a size bigger than the palst pair. They are simple boots imo. The only problem is the price at $129. I have found they are an excellent boot for almost all Scouting events, with the exception of winter camping. They are not made for warmth.

Here's the link:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=19011&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3550&cat4=1013&shop_method=pp&feat=ssdpb1013

I'm gearing up for a NOLS trek soon and got this info from them. Thought it might be useful. They have a lot of experience outfitting folks for some really rugged use.

-mike

Proper Boot Fitting

(from NOLS enrollment package)

Having good footwear is necessary for success

Please follow these instructions carefully when fitting hiking boots for your NOLS backpacking course. It may be helpful to show these instructions to the boot fitter. Your hiking boots are one of the most important pieces of equipment you will use during your course. For this reason, please travel to your course with them on your feet or in your carry on luggage.

It is imperative that boots fit correctly to minimize the chance of blisters or other foot injuries.

Its all in the fit

In our experience, we have found that a properly fitted boot is more important than a broken in boot. Much has been written and many people still believe the myth that break-in period is important. Its not as important as finding boots that fit.

If you are purchasing boots prior to your course, see the list of recommended boots. If a particular boot you like is not on the list, it should be comparable in design and construction to those listed.

1. It is best to shop for boots in the afternoon since feet tend to swell during the day. Always fit your larger foot. The key to a proper fit is to determine the correct length. A boot that is too small (short) will cause more problems than one that is too large. Boots should fit comfortably with either two pairs of heavy wool socks or one pair of liner socks and one pair of heavy wool socks. Both systems work fine. Cold climate hikers often prefer the two wool sock method. This sock combination provides warmth, cushioning and wicks moisture away from the skin, helping reduce the chance of blisters.

2. Start with a boot a half size larger than your normal street shoe size and slip your foot in barefoot. Some boot shops may ask you to wear a thin liner sock. Slide your foot forward until your toes touch the front of the boot. As you lean forward slightly, there should be approximately to (about one finger width) between your heel and the back of the boot. If there is not, the boot is probably too small and you should try a half size larger.

3. Now try on the boots with your favorite combination of two pairs of socks and lace the boots snugly. Your toes should be comfortable at the front of the boot with just a little bit of room to wiggle, and the arch of the boot fitting comfortably under your instep. Walk around the store for a few minutes. Your heels should feel snug in the back of the boot with just enough room to barely lift off the insole of the boot about 1/8; no heel lift is too little, or more is too much. The boot should feel comfortable with no obvious discomfort or pressure points.

4. In a properly fitted boot, your toes will not jam the front of the boot when walking downhill. To determine this in the store, either kick your foot against a solid wall, or if the store has one, walk down a ramp to simulate walking downhill. If your toes hit on the first kick, or they jam on the front of the boot walking down the ramp, the boot is probably too small, or not laced tight enough. Your toes should nudge against the front of the boot on the third kick. It is important to realize that a properly fitted boot is going to feel slightly big. It is better to have a boot a bit large than too small.

5. Getting the proper fit takes time. Not all boots fit the same, so try different brands and models. Walk around the store for at least 10 minutes. Think about your feet. Are they comfortable? Any pressure points? If so, try a different width, a different brand, or a half size larger. Remember, its your feet and your comfort, so take your time!

Heres my boot secret, no laughing please! I buy womens boots. You all know the story, if the shoe fits, wear it!!!

Womens boots, even the wide sizes, are built on different lasts than are mens boots. When you buy boots to hike in the most important thing is the fit. Womens hiking boots are indistinguishable from mens boots, so dont be to vain to try them on!

By the way, I own two pairs of hiking boots, one powder blue, and the other is pink.(This message has been edited by fotoscout)

fotoscout,

The mental image of your pink and powder blue boots froze me in my tracks...

BTW - I'm sitting here in my boots right now. Wearing those babies every day! The guys at work are getting used to my clomp-clomping around the office.

-mike

I have a favorite pair of Vasque Whitneys I bought back around 1971 or 72. I want to be buried in them. But for less serious strolls, I have the extraordinary luck of having a wife and a son whose castoffs fit me just fine. You heard that correctly - my wife has grape-stomping feet. So I have a huge collection of boots and shoes of all types and styles, probably more than I'll ever be able to wear out. The high heels are just a bit painful though.

I normally wear a pair of Hi-Tec lightweight hikers here. I've gone as far as 20 on rolling terrain with a daypack, no problem. For serious walkabouts with a full pack, I go with my Danners. Fit, comfort, durability, support, all first rate. I have Matterhorns that keep me warmer, but they're too heavy for long distances.

KS

I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I bought in late 1997. I still wear them and they are the most comfortable set of footwear that I have (with the possible exception of my knee-high moccasins).. The problem is that they are beginning to wear out. The heels have worn down past the tread in the back and the toes have worn down to the leather in some places. The inside of the heels have worn down to the leather as well. I don't know how they can still provide support and comfort, but they manage to. They don't look too bad with a fresh coat of Nature Seal on them, either. Otherwise, they look like an old pair of black work boots. I probably won't replace them until one of the heels comes off.

By the way guys - if you've got a Bass Pro Shop around they've got a decent pair of RedHead boots Iron Mountain on sale $100 down to $70. These have the GoreTex and a steel shank and come in wide size, the biggest wide that I've encountered. Last pair of RedHeads lasted almost 2 years and a Philmont trip, and these new ones look better and the price is right