Boy Scout Knife Hard to Open?

I have the "Boy Scout Knife" and I find all of the implements hard, if not impossible, to open. The only part that I find usable is the blade. I have tried to open the can opener and screw driver and practically tore my thumbnail off!

This is the knife I'm referring to:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/camping/knives-accessories/knives/boy-scouttm-knife.html

For the most part, I leave this knife at home as it's heavier than my other knives...and I can't use 3/4 of it! Has anyone else had this problem?

I find my Swiss Army knives get that way over time. Cleaning the hinges with a little sewing machine oil or WD-40 and q-tip sometimes helps.

I've recovered "buried" knives (from previous homeowner?) while mowing lawn. A day's soak in baking soda and another day in white vinegar sometimes helps.

Could just be the knife. Like cars and trucks ...a company can be very dependable and build high quality vehicles...but you still get one every now and then that is a lemon or wasn't made right.

I have several Leatherman utility knives. One works like a Cadillac. One is a hatefull timg that never worked good from the first day. Got it as a gift, so I never took it back to wherever it came from. It doesn't want to open either. Blades don't want to pull out except one.... and it practically falls out as soon as you touch it.

Could be a mar in the casting or cut. Could be a burr in the metal. Could be the hinge rivits are pressed too tight or the pivot holes are not cut square and line up evenly. Could be anything.

I think the shadowbox idea is a good one. Then go out and buy another knife.

You could always pack some abrasive into the knife and spend an episode of your favorite show working the implements open and closed. You can use toothpaste, valve grinding compound, the slurry from an oilstone, etc. Then, clean the abrasive out, put a drop of oil into each joint and you should be good.