Does any one know where to buy the swim tags like they use at most summer camps. Our local Scout store does not have them and neither does scoutstuff.org. We are making our own buddy tag board and the scouts who went to summer camp have their tags but those who are taking their test locally do not. We would like to have them all match to make it easier to see who has passed the test and who has not yet passed.

Buddy tags are nto normally stocked in a scout shop. They need to be ordered through national supply and this is the item number 01595. I bet if you contact the scout shop now, they may have the returns from summer camp in stock.

For a much simpler alternative, use wooden clothespins, the spring-loaded kind. Plain ones are for nonswimmers, and add a dab of red and blue for beginners and swimmers to match your camp's style. Names can be written in marker on the back, and they can clip on to whatever buddy board system you use - a wooden board, a hanging rope, etc.

If your boys are on the move a lot, I've used popsicle sticks with a 1/8" hole in one end. The boys write their name in indelible ink. My "buddy board" is an unused chain fishing stringer. (Given my luck fishing, my regular stringer is always empty.) Buddies slide their tags into the same link in the stringer.

P.S. - If you want to use those tags for more than one trip, you'll have to reinforce the hole with duct tape. Obviously, durability of materials or even the level of improvisation depends on your objective. But, the boys -- if they've been to camp more than once -- seem to appreciate the opportunity to improvise.

Speedy,

They come in boxes of 200 for fiber tags and 500 for cardboard tags. They are pretty expensive compared to some of the other options listed.

IM me if you really want the tags. I think I have a couple of boxes in my store.