Klondike mercenary gear

I have a group of young scouts going to this months Klondike, and it appears we have lots of snow up on the mountain. I'm looking for ideas of how the boys might be able to put together some inexpensive gear to keep them feet and legs from getting wet. I prefer Sorels and nylon pants, over them, but don't think it's in their budget. Alot of them have military style, all leather boots, but those will have to be waterproofed. Any cool ideas for how a scout can solve this challenge?

Duh! Duct tape!

Otherwise, if you wish, put plastic bread bags between the layers of wool socks and don't worry if the boots get wet. (Triple the socks, polypropelene against the skin, then wool, then the bread bag, then the second wool pair. Same size as 2 wool, and will keep feet nice and dry both from within and without.

Then wrap gaiters (5'x3" strips of waterproof material secured by duct tape) on the lower leg also keeps the pants from getting wet. If one has a sewing machine and grommet tool, lace-up snow gaiters can be made very quickly and will stay put better than wraps.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)