Make a boat of canvas and branches

I saw it done a couple of times when I was much younger: Take a sheet of canvas, wrap it around a doughnut-shaped pile of branches, and make a boat that would float one or two persons across a small pond or pool. I've searched the 'net for a few minutes and cannot find a reference to this challenging activity. It's pretty simple, but I'm wondering how big the canvas (or these days, a waterproof tarp) would have to be. Anyone recall this activity and /or have any instructions? Thanks!

Brian Phelps

While the sites you gave me links to show pretty complicated, well-built versions, I've seen a simple version built with a U.S. Army shelter-half and a bunch of brush in an hour or so. But I suppose I better test it before I inflict it on my program participants.

Thanks again.

Brian

Dan Beard offers plans for a folding "Umbrella Canoe" that can be thrown over your shoulder. It is made out of canvas and ash poles:

"Five yards of canvas is all you need. The deck can be made of drilling, which comes about twenty-eight inches wide. Five yards of this will be plenty. Fit your canvas over the frame, stretch it tightly, and tack it securely to the two top ribs only. Fasten the deck on in the same manner.

"With ordinary care the umbrella canoe will last for years, and is a good boat for paddling on inland streams and small bodies of water; and when you are through with it for the night all that is necessary is to remove the stretchers by springing the poles from the notches in the spreaders, roll up the canvas around the poles, put it on your shoulder, and carry it home or to camp, as shown in Fig. 219."

See The Inquiry Net:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/summer/boats/umbrella_canoe.htm

For a collection of boat plans Dan Beard designed for boys to build without adult supervision, see:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/summer/boats/index.htm

Kudu