Just my imagination?

Calling all the smart people!

A couple of weeks back I was having a problem with my feet!

I'm on my feet a lot.

At work the floors are all concrete.

Our uniform code calls for black socks.

When I get home I normally change socks and take the dogs out for their big long walk.

For work I wear good quality leather shoes.

For dog walking a pair of goretex boots with a good sole.

I know I'm a little over the top when it comes to my feet.

The problem was some cracked dry skin on the toes.

I started applying Gold Bond extra strength body lotion 3 or 4 times a day and within a week my toes were in good shape.

To try and avoid any recurrence, I bought some Gold Bond Foot Powder. Dusting my feet three times a day and dusting the inside of my boots and shoes.

I know this seems a little silly but since I have started doing this it seems that my feet are not as cold as they used to be.

So is this just my imagination? Am I going nuts? Or is there a reason why this is happening?

Eamonn.

Cracked, dry skin on the feet is a typical symptom of a fungal infection. Try an antifungal such as Lotrimin AF for 2 weeks (or generic equivalent). If that doesn't do it, see a podiatrist or dermatologist. I can say from experience, it's extremely persistent and hard to get rid of. Disinfect the shower and bathroom floor as well, and avoid going barefoot in public showers or locker rooms.

PS: To answer your question...the powder is probably keeping your feet drier, thus warmer.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

I had a job where I was also on foot alot. I am not a podiatrist nor do I portay one in any media service, however...

E... Your feet feel warmer I believe because if you are Gold Bonding your feet three times a day, you are flexing and rubbing and paying attention to your tootsies three times a day. Out of the shoe, there is more blood flow, hence warmer.

Foot health requires, IMO, (1)Scrub feet with soap and water (2) dry thoroughly. When dry, apply Gold Bond if that seems to help.

(3) go barefoot as much as possible otherwise. (4) Do not wear nylon socks. Makes your feet sweat unnaturally. (5) woolsocks (dye'm black if you must). the lanolin in the wool does good things for you. keep feet warm in winter, cool in summer. Big fluffy socks, not too tight. Wool blends are good, but I find purely synthetics (even Thorlo) make my feet sweat, and the socks needed to be changed everyday, which come to think of it, ain't a bad idea anyway. But it seemed excessive.(6) shoes need to fit well, not tight. toes wiggly, not cramped. (7)tie shoes snug so feet don't move in heel.(8) when walking, flex feet and toes alot (9) get a promotion so you'll have a desk to put your feet up on.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Thanks for the good advise.

Today I had way too much time on my hands at lunchtime!!

To pass the time I nipped into Gander Mountain.

It seems to me that the store is not as good as it used to be?

I did manage to find some black wool socks.

While I was there I thought I'd buy myself a good pair of gloves.

Right now I'm using a pair made by the people who make the ear-muffs 80ss or something like that.

They have a thingamabob on the back that you can breath into to warm your hands. It works OK but the gloves just are not that warm.

I found a really good pair of mittens. They looked and felt like they would do a wonderful job.

All was well till I seen the price tag. $65.90.

This seemed like a lot.

Back when I was a little fellow, I kept losing gloves. So my Mother sewed a long tape to them and it went through the sleeves of my coat. I was thinking that if I invested over $60.00 for a pair of gloves I sure as heck didn't want to lose one (Or two!!)

As I was pondering about investing all of my hard earned cash in these gloves a young salesperson came up to me and stated telling me how great they were. He went on to say that he remembered me! It turned out he was a Scout from the same Council (Not the same District)

He talked with someone (The manager??) They said that the gloves should have been on sale with 50% off.

By now I was feeling that I had no choice but to buy the gloves. So I did.

I went to check out, when the person who I think was the manager said that he'd made a mistake the gloves should be 75% off! They also gave me 10% Scouting discount on the gloves and the socks!!

Sometimes it pays to be a Scouter.

I did of course tell them that the main use for the gloves was not for Scouting but for dog walking.

They didn't seem to mind, so I didn't push it!

Eamonn.

My opinion, skip the cotton socks.

My personal recommendation would be to use a polypropelene (straight (like UnderArmor) or blend) sock or a polypro liner and then take your pick of black sock, but look for something thicker in the heel and toe and elastic around the arch. Even a good polypro sock won't do much if your shoes don't breath. They pull the moisture away from your foot, but if the moisture can't evaporate.... Cotton socks are comfortable but don't release moisture, they retain it especially in shoes. Changing your socks or even just taking them off for a minute and shaking them out (and adding powder) allows your feet that time to dry off.

I also recommend adding a quality insole to your shoes and boots. Spenco is a good brand. Skip the Dr Scholls. Find one that fits your arch well with good heel cushion and doesn't make your shoe too tight. Put one in your shoe, take your pick, but leave the other out. Then you can compare how it feels against your shoe/boot by itself. Try this until you find the one that feels the best and then put the other one in. Then walk around for a few minutes. Pay attention to any tightness or tingling (too tight). If your shoe/boot has a removable insole liner in it, you may have to remove it.

The principle is the insole liner in most shoes is worth about 2 cents because no one looks inside their shoes, only at the outside. Then the liner is actually only supposed to last about 2-3 weeks. Many replacement insoles last a year or more. I buy a new insole with every new shoe/boot I buy. (I've been selling shoes for almost 20 years and can be on my feet for 16-18 hrs a day.)

The points about the powder, fungus and circulation are all accurate. Keep your feet dry. Change your socks 2-3 times daily if necessary. Apply your powder. Disinfect the shower.

Don't you just love Gold Bond? When I was a kid my grandfather used to drench himself in the stuff. I had forgotten about it until a few years ago. Would not made it through a couple weeks of 100-degree-plus Webelos camp without it. Both boys and I won't go out without it.

Word of warning: If you run out of the body powder, DO NOT substitute the foot powder for use on the giblets! WOW You'll only make that mistake once.