Is it acceptable for a Scout troop to put together its own Grand Canyon trek

Way back when I was a youth, after Brownsea (and I dont mean a local NYLT) but before the demise of the Red Berets, the Troop of my youth went to the Grand Canyon. Now, since we lived in the suburbs of Chicago this was quite an undertaking, getting there and returning on the Milwaukee Road was as much an adventure as being there. We camped on the South Rim and had planned to do Rim to Rim to Rim, but the trail on the North rim was "out" and so we did the Kaibob to Phantom Ranch and then back up to the South Rim by the Visitor Center. The exact names are a blur. But, it was put together by our scoutmaster who had gone to Philmont and thought it was too comercialized and easy. This was 1967 by the way. Anyway, we did it then and the troop has gone back a few times since then

Prices for Havasu were $35 for entry into the reservation, and 3 nights @ $17/night camping. No breaks for groups. But it's an easy hike from rim to river -- much more gradual than you find at the South or North Rim.

Step One: Somebody gets an idea...

Back in the dim memory of my Scout days, for trip planning we had to rely on vacation brochures, vague memories of exciting visits to exotic places, telephone calls ("Colorado!? Do you realize how much a long distance call to Colorado tc going to be???"), USpostal letters and waiting for replies.

It's still good to hear someone say "wow, my uncle jake did thus and so..." and take the inspiration and run with it.

But now, internet info, picture indexing, Google insights, how much easier can it be? And quicker? The slowest thing has to be getting a National Tour Permit approved (another historic artifact. My inner Scout sez, What's a Tour Permit?? Never heard of 'em back then. Just plan, pack, and go.)

"Is it acceptable..." Good gracious, yes. Make every other unit in your Council start wishing. And looking. And planning.

Plan, pack, and go. And fill out the Tour Permit.

And invite me...

YiS

• 1 year later...

I have read and searched about this topic. I have seen a recollection of the David Phillips tragedy and I have to disagree with an earlier post. David Phillips had done the hike before and so did one of the Scout Leaders. The trip mentioned above went wrong when an unexpected heatwave hit. They had enough water for a regular trip. However, the reason David died was because he was a nice kid who thought he was preconditioned for it and so when his friends were thirsty and a bit low, he gave them his water. One scout leader couldn't make it past the 2nd day, another gave up on the 3rd day, and later on, the oldest and most experienced one finally ran out of gas, told the scouts to stay in the shade with him and wait, gave David Phillips and his friends Jordan and Mark the go ahead to get water at the river which was only about a half day away, and then sent the other scouts after them when he got worried. The kids weren't able to find the path he told them about and instead climbed down a sheer cliff of 200 feet. David collapsed within 100 yards of the Colorado River, so his friends ran to the river and filled their water bottles. Jordan ran first and they tried to have him drink, but David couldn't swallow, so they splashed water on him to cool his body down. Mark then ran and just as he was filling up the water bottles, he saw a kayak team coming down the river. He signaled them, they came ashore, and to their luck three medical professionals and a guide were apart of the team. Unfortunately, the emergency doctor, technician, and surgeon arrived to help David too late. He died during the night just before dawn when the whole scout troop was rescued.

I'm wondering if the ASM is thinking like my Pal FScouter?

His problem might not lay with the do-ability, but with the way it's being gone about?

If the thread had started with:

My sons and some of their troop mates are eager to plan a week long trip to Disney World.

My husband is willing to be the adult lead on the trip. He and my sons made this exact trip last summer.

What the feelings of the forum members would be?

Ea.

Give the Grand Canyon Council a call. They have an excellent trail award program for the Canyon (I've earned the Rim to Rim, Rim to Rim to Rim, and the Havisupi to River segments of the Patch).

In Flagstaff, across the tracks from the Amtrac station are two youth hostels if you need a place to stay for an evening. A simple websearch will provide you with the phone numbers.

• 3 months later...