Does anyone out there have suggestions for how to break down campsite duties. We are going on an overnight trip and I was wondering what would be the best way to get everyone involved with campsite responsibilities.

Any Help???

Sctdad, are you talking about a cub scout group maybe?

In that case I would recommend that you talk with your den leaders and assign each den a specific task. Make sure everyone knows ahead of time what that task is, and how to perform it.

Within the patrols they should have a duty roster to rotate scouts through various daily chores such as Cooking, Cleaning, Fire building etc

Each person should be responsible for picking up after themselves and for safety.

But is is much easier to do and better for the scouts if this is done within each patrol.

I am sorry I forgot to include that this was a Cub Scout Pack overnighter.

I just know that there are many who have read a lot of my posts and know that part about me so far, but for those who have given suggetions, I will try them.

I think I will try to give assignments based on the ages of the boys and have parent participation. Maybe that will work

The person leading the cub overnight must have BALOO training. That person will then set up all the who does what. In general, though, for cubs, each family takes care of their own stuff, with everyone coming together for the program elements.

I guess I will just have to wait until I too can get my BALOO training. We have one who is Baloo trained. He is going. But he is also letting me do a lot of the planning and he is there to help if needed.

I ask questions here because I hope that with all the wisdom that my fellow scouters have, someone can guide me along the way until my baloo training this summer.

I have been asking for help and suggestions with camp items. And almost everytime I do someone mentions that the baloo person needs to do it or I need to get my baloo training. I know this but I am trying to get these things done myself as a learning tool and help take some of the planning issues off of the CM.

Sorry about the rant but sometimes I am coming here to ask for advise and help.

This appears to be a Pack Family Camp.

Each family should be responsible for its own tentage.

You've not told us how you plan to cook and serve meals yet... common Pack, Dens, family units???

I'd assign each Den one or more program elements for the program day... depending on how long you'll be in camp.

Remember, if you're going to swim, you need someone certified for Safe Swim Defense/Safety Afloat. It's probably best to rent the pool from the facility and have them provide lifeguards, otherwise you're getting into deep detail very fast.

SctDad,

We usually do most of the chores at a campout on a volunteer basis. "Boys! We need some water put into these fire buckets before we can get our fire going. Who'd like to go over to the pump (about 50 yards away) and fill them up for us? Remember, you need to take a buddy...."

There are usually at least 3 or 4 hands in the air pretty quick.

I will admit that I usually oversee the cooking duties myself (I'm the Cubmaster, Baloo trained, and I love camp cooking), but try to involve the boys to help with as much of the prep as possible. "Ok, who's got their whittling chip? Great, you guys get to help me chop these carrots for the foil packs. (with close parental supervision)" "Ok, who wants to mix up the batter for the cornbread to go on top of the chili in the dutch oven?"

Boys are also responsible for washing their own dishes (and usually their parents', too), and will often volunteer to do whatever "common dishes" were used in the prep. (Although no one cleans my Dutch oven but me....)

All the boys also help collect firewood, and do checking for trash at the end. We also try all the dens to bring at least one skit or song to the campfire program. On the other hand, each family is responsible for setting up their own tent and person equipment, but we all tend to help each other out if someone is struggling.

I guess if I weren't so gungho about cooking, I would probably ask for parent volunteers to take responsibility for one meal each, to come up with plan, let us know what they need, and oversee it's execution. We do have a dedicated "Outdoor Activities Coordinator" who buys all the supplies for our outings. Another alternative would be to have those responsible for the meal procure the needed supplies (although I suggest giving them a budget and a head-count, of course) and get reimbursed by the pack.

If you are having trouble with the volunteer method, I would advise simply doing a duty roster, and assigning duties to each den according to ability (i.e., Tigers wouldn't be chopping vegetables, but could certainly help look for tinder to start the fire). Some duties are just going to have to fall on the parents, but really try to get the boys doing as much as is safe and they are able.

I'm teaching part of the Baloo training for our Council tomorrow, in fact, after getting rangled in by a buddy of mine (who is the district training chair). If it would be helpful, drop me a PM if you'd like, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, but I don't always catch things that get posted on the forum.

[sctDad, I don't mean to criticize, but if you're going to post a Cub Scout question and assume we all know it's about Cub Scouts, it would help if you posted the question to the Cub Scout forum. Most of us think of "Camping & High Adventure" as a forum for Boy Scouts and Venturers and some responded accordingly to your question.]

Having said that, as others have said, most of the "duties" for a Cub Scout family camp belong to each family. If there are common elements (campfire, for example), that's probably best left to the pack leaders and others experienced with campfire building. You can certainly ask each den to come up with a skit, or jokes, etc.

Your BALOO-trained person can provide more details about the weekend activities / program for the campout, but also check to see if the local camp ranger knows of any activities sponsored by the campground that would be suitable for Cub-age kids (e.g., fishing).

Good luck.

The leader/organizer/planner of a pack overnighter is not required to have completed BALOO training. The requirement is that at least one adult on a pack overnighter have completed BALOO training. However, the advantages of the leader/organizer/planner having the training is obvious.

As far as how to break down campsite duties is concerned, your options are almost limitless--in both how tasks are defined and delegated. I'd need more details on what your plans were to help. However, if you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you an example plan for an overnighter I planned a while back (it was my first and only but a couple months after I took BALOO training).

MarkS: the whole point in going to BALOO is to learn to plan & conduct a pack family campout in accordance with BSA guidelines.

If you let a non-BALOO trained person do the planning & organizing, what's the point of sending anyone to BALOO? So they can go along on a campout they didn't plan? The risk of having a non-BALOO trained person plan & organize the campout is that they will inadvertently plan or do something not in accordance with BSA policies.

After all, isn't that why you send a person to get BALOO-trained in the first place?

Here's a quote from the Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines (bin item 13-631):At least one adult giving leadership to a pack overnighter must complete Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO), No. 34162, and be present on campouts.So its not enough for the BALOO-trained person to merely attend the campout, they are supposed to be one of the adults giving leadership to the campout. It goes on to say:BALOO trains participants to properly understand the importance of program intent, Youth Protection guidelines, health and safety, site selection, age-appropriate activities, and sufficient adult participation.Again, if you leave it up to a non-BALLO trained person plan the program, ensure YP and H&S guidelines are followed, select the campsite, develop activities and recruit the adults, what's the point of sending anyone to BALOO?

OK sorry folks. I forgot to mention that this was a Cub Scout Campout

There are some other things that I think should be brought into light so you know whre I am coming from

We are going on a Pack Overnighter.

We are going to our Council Scout Reservation. We have reservations made for a campsite along with adirondacks (shelters) incase of inclement weather.

It is a short walk to the waterfront, where we can partake in Fishing activities. It is a large moving river so we won't be able to go boating.

There is a seabase nearby that has a long dock at it and I think that will be one of the fishing spots.

THere are bathroom facilities available to us. there is plenty of water. There is a fire ring.

Meals are planned as a pack meal. I have one boy who doesn't eat meat so his father will be bringing their own food for the entree's

So what I am gathering is that I should ask for volunteers for getting the tasks done and I will probably get all of them done easily. I will be going to the school here in town and seeing if I can get some large cans for the fire buckets.

The only other things that we have to do is grocery shopping and get the utensils for serving and cooking. Plus we need to find a griddle.

Menu

Sat Lunch - PB&J, Chips

Sat Dinner - Chili, Rolls (Reflector overn try)

Smores

Sun Breakfast - Pancakes, Sausage

Lunch - Sandwiches

Does that help everyone?

OK, I know it's fishing vice swimming or boating.

What is the Council providing you for the situation "a kid falls in the water?"

That's the most immediate challenge I see... and I've seen it happen, accidentally on purpose...

BTW, as many of us have stated on a lot of leadership issue threads, all we can deal with are the facts you present us. The more information we have, the better we can point you to other resources or ask you questions. :)

We really do enjoy this Scouting stuff.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)