I'm right with yeh on the soloin'. Nuthin' better!

And nothin' wrong with it, either. Depending on our personal skill levels, we all "solo" some things. Most of us "solo climb" staircases and ladders, even though a slip and fall can be painful or even deadly. Most of us would be comfortable solo hiking around the block, though there are still trip-and-fall (or hit-by-car, or attacked-by-dog) possibilities. You just have to be aware of your personal ability and exercise good judgment.

AnEagle, I agree with Calico. Go join an outing club. They're fun, and have great people. There's also orienteering clubs around that run races through the woods which are fun, too, and might appeal to your group's sense of adventure. They welcome beginners. After all, it's embarrassin' to be rescued by a bunch of Boy Scouts after you get lost and hypothermic in the woods.

You're right, a first aid kit is useless without the knowledge to use it. You can bring a few bandaids and some moleskin for sore spots, I guess. But I bet your outing club offers a WFA (Wilderness First Aid) course, and that's well worth it. As for snakes, unless yeh smell and look a lot like a mouse, they're not goin' to be very interested in you. They'll get out of yer way, if you give 'em half a chance. When you decide to sleep out, it can be more of an issue as you are kinda a nice warm spot to curl up with. But snakebite risk is pretty low, eh?

If someone does get bit, take off jewelry like rings and bracelets and watches (the limb is goin' to swell), and get him/her to medical attention. You know, ambulance/hospital, quick as you can without makin' the person get their heart rate goin'. Usually best if they slow-walk to the nearest road; it takes forever to carry someone.

Thanks again for the advice. How often have boy scouts actually rescued other hikers lol cause i can hear my friends explanations now "We meant to go this way. We were takine a 'scenic' route" lol. I thought of taking the WFA course but i've been in emergency situations before and i do not do well at all, it would be ten times worse if people expected me to know and do something about the situation. HAHA maybe I'll just make sure our eagle scout friend comes along on out hikes. :-)

First I second the suggestion Brent had on the Fieldbook. If not that look up some of the resources available from the Appalachian Mountain Club at http://www.outdoors.org/. Joining a local Venture crew is also an excellent suggestion.

Second, while I fully understand the attraction of solo hiking and don't dissapprove of it, I have to say Gern, please at least let someone know where your going and when you expect to return. I'm reminded of the poor lad profiled by Tom Brokaw, who got him arm stuck between the rocks in the canyons of Utah. No one missed him for days because he hadn't told anyone he was going anywhere, or where he was going. By the time his friends and familiy figured out something was wrong he had been stuck in the rocks for several days. Knowing that no one would likely find him, he made the decision to cut his arm off with his pocket knife. This was an experienced outdoorsman with many miles of backcountry experience.

See http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/detail.php?p=8060&SESSID=023ba4e53e3eac3b712642393a4b34e5

SA

AnEagle,

In Scouts, we teach the Buddy System - you always take a buddy with you when camping or hiking. Nearly every year there is Scout who gets lost in the woods, and a good number of them aren't found. A few years ago, out in Utah I think, a Scout was fishing with some others and fell in the lake and got wet. He went back to camp, by himself, to change clothes and disappeared. I don't think they ever found him. Camp was only a couple hundred yards from where they were fishing.

Which brings me to two other points - wear the best piece of safety equipment out there around your neck - a loud whistle. Secondly, if you do get lost, stop moving! Blow your whistle to call for help (3 blasts is the international distress call). Moving in the wrong direction will just make finding you that much harder.

Yeah i've been a victim of the buddy system before and i know that any youth activities i've done (mostly around water) encourage it. The only problem with it is that if you're not a scout and have not been taught like one you end up with two people lost instead of one. Frankly i don't know how it's possible for people to go hiking when they don't know what they're doing but we've done it. So tomorrow it looks like there may be about ten people going on the hike (every single one has asked me at least twice if i know where i'm going i just love all the suport i'm getting) Think about us as we treck through the woods lol hopefully nothing will happen...

The problem with leaving a note when I'm on my solo walkabouts, is I don't know where I will end up. My wife knows I'm out, because I've taken the dogs. But the path I take is determined not before hand, but at the instant I reach the crossroads. Take my walkabout today for example. I started on a favorite path for a few miles. Then I decided to explore a drainage that I've never been down. Fall has taken all the leaves off the scrub oak and made the bushwhacking easier. Pretty interesting. Came across the scattered remains of a large deer, taken by a mountain lion a few weeks ago, best I could determine. Couldn't find the skull or antlers though. Too bad, I'm just a few antlers short of a full chandelier.

So how would I word my note? Honey, I'm going on my daily hike, I don't know when I will return, I don't know where I'll end up. If not back by dinner, marry someone better than me. Heck, I could just laminate one and leave it on the counter every day.

Solo hiking is like riding a motorcycle, skydiving or hunting with the vice president. You are exposing yourself to risk and stress that you could easily avoid. For some, the rewards are great. For others, it just isn't worth it. I only recommend it to those who understand the risks and accept the responsibility. Never for youths.

I've thought lots about that dude who hacked off his own arm. I've hiked in the Canyonlands where he did it. That area is so vast and so undeveloped, there is doubt that a note would have changed his situation. He gambled and lost. Or perhaps he won.

Gern, again I agree. My solo treks are under the assumption that all risk is born by me alone. At my age, post reproductive with kids out of the nest, it won't matter to many people if I never show up again. On occasion I've gone days off trail in the western backcountry. I know the risk and I'll take the consequences if they ever come.

However, for a young person with a whole future ahead, I advise error on the side of safety. And stay in good shape so that when you get to my age, you can let it all hang out. Of course, by that time gravity is going to do that to you anyway! ;)

Edited part:

REALLY big OOOPS on this one! ;) ;)(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

An

To get a start on the information that you are looking for pick up merit badge books on hiking, backpacking, orientiering(sp) and wilderness survival.

These should give you an insight into proper hiking and preperation and also provide some scenarios to practice and accomplish.

Have fun and be safe.

yis

So i thought i might add how the hiking trip went today. Only two other people showed up we took a knife, matches, bandaids, moleskin and cell phones. I want to state that i lead the way and didn't get lost once though it is hard to follow a trail covered in leaves. The falls were awesome the trail down to them wasn't and all three of us slid down it (it was intentional on my part...easier then walking.)All in all i think it was a good hike but i have to aske how much water you should take hiking? Caue I took a 20 oz bottle started feeling weird on the way back and am dehydrated again (how did that happen?) I still don't feel well so i think i'm going to go to sleep now..anyways advice on the water thing would be great. :-)

AnEagle,

As to water, I sweat like crazy even in freezing weather. I know that I need to keep hydrated and therefore I carry at least 3 quarts of water - 1 GI 2qt bladder canteen and one 1qt canteen or 1 liter bottle. Since most of my outdoors experience was courtesy of Uncle Sam, I'm trying to get away from carrying a lot of my old military gear and move more into the civillian world.

Also the camping I'm doing now is more family/Cub camping and we don't get too far from water sources. In fact in my camping supplies tub there is now a collapsable 5 gallon water jug - definitely not practical when hiking but great in a campsite.

I like the 2 qt canteen because you can hook a shoulder strap on it, clip on a few accessory pouches for first aid, compass, etc. through it over your shoulder and walk away.

Definite ditto to getting copies of the merit badge books, I did that after our first Pack overnighter and refreshed myself on a lot of stuff I'd forgotten. Pay attention to the 10 essentials list, it's been around in one form or another for many, many years and is based on experience.

My personal hydration plan is that every time I stop (which in an out of shape condition, is too often) I drink a couple mouthfuls of water and make my son do the same. As they used to tell us in jump school - "Beat the heat--Drink Water!!!" It works well in the winter too.

John

Tiger Den Leader

Pack 13

Potomac District

Shenandoah Area Council

Hey there AnEagle, welcome to the wonderful and healthy world of those who hike! So far you have gotten some excellent advice here, and while I'm not an expert hiker (and didnt stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), I did hike at Philmont this year and would like to share a few of the things I learned that make hiking a very rewarding and healthy thing to partake in.

If you intend to hike often and for increasing distances, please do your feet and self a BIG favor and get yourself a pair of really good hiking boots. Do avoid the low priced hikers found at K-mart and Wally World. Your feet and general comfort are what you should consider when choosing a hiking boot...NOT price, spend the bucks...I did and had no blisters or sore feet while hiking at Philmont or even after.

Break your new boots in gradually, and buy real hiking socks...cotton tube socks will kill your feet and leave you miserable. Good hiking gear is not cheap,..but taken good care of, will last and keep you in good shape.

I am in the habit of taking my pack with me when I hike. I normally ALWAYS carry rain gear/first aid kit(Generic ankle and knee braces just in case)/3-4 lt of H2O/spare

dry clothes in a ziploc bag/compass/flashlight/matches/stocking cap-scarf-gloves(Hey,I live in Wisconsin) and my hiking stave.

A good hiking stave(stick or staff) makes the walk easier for me and carries emergency gear as its a hollow steel tube with rubber sealed ends..weighs about 2.5 lbs...see huttersales on e-bay.

I also strongly reccomend wearing suplex nylon or polypro/wool outer wear,...this stuff will dry fast and keep you warm even if wet. Get under armour type skivvies..again cotton kills..not to mention chafes and retains body moisture..yuck!

I know it sounds like I take too much stuff for some folks...but the first law of hiking is be prepared...the second is you carry it in, you carry it out..dont take anything you are not willing to carry for the duration of the hike.

Hiking alone does provide a solitude rather absent in todays world, however hike marked trails and let someone know where you are going...be safe not sorry. Set the cel phone to vibrate...I keep mine in a holder on the chest strap of my pack so as to not have to "dig" for it.

Wear a wide brimmed hat or a cap that shades your eyes. Have a sweat rag, or keep a few wet wipes in a ziploc to freshen up. Keep a "doggy" bag with a ziploc outer bag for the unexpected call of nature...only those who permanantly reside in the wild get to leave their calling card there, or hold it til you can get to a "red-roof inn".

I'm getting way too wordy here, plus know I want to go hiking... the suns out and I know a good trail 5 minutes from here...Later!

Yah, OK there AnEagle. This learnin' by trial and error and internet probably ain't the best way, eh? But at least yer askin' questions.

Water / Not feelin' good. There's 3 easy ways to "deplete" yerself while out hikin. Water is the easiest.

Too little water, lots of folks first start gettin' grumpy, then headaches, then other symptoms. Drink a bunch before you start, then every time you take a break. I'm about a quart every 2 hours on a regular hike. Don't carry it all, bring some iodine tablets and collect (and treat) H2O along the way at lakes and streams.

Too few carbs is another, usually if you're young and it's strenuous hikin' with a pack, or you're fast-hikin. Starts as bein' too tired, suddenly findin' scramblin' hard, tripping when you normally wouldn't. Progresses to feelin' sick. Treat with powerbars, simple sugars.

Too little salt is another. More rare, but happens if yer sweatin' up a storm, and drinkin' a lot, without eatin' much. Often shows up as cramps, progresses to feelin' weird and sick. Eat salty food, like a good trail mix.

Guys gave you some good boyscout stuff to read, but I'd suggest somethin' like Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book. Order one from Amazon. Fun read, great tips, learn lots fast.