Rating of Sleeping bag for Philmont?

Troop is going to Philmont this August (12 -21)

We have conflicting recomendaions of what temperature rating of sleeping bags we should advise the scouts to bring.

Philmont indicates that temperatures range from 90F to 30F depending upon elevation.

More than a few have advised to get 20F bags.

Is that advisable for middle of August?

Doing what I can to keep this a "thrifty" trip.

What say the Philmont Guru's?

HHS

On my first trip to Philmont we woke up to frost and were swimming in the river by mid day. Altitude plays games with temperature. What does O degree bag really mean? I wrote a manufacturer and found that there is no standardization for measuring efficiency of sleeping bags. The term "X" degree usually means that the bag will keep you comfortable enough to sleep 6 hours at the "X" temperature. This differs from person to person depending on body metabolism. Know the equipment you intend to use. "There is no such thing as bad weather only inaccurate equipment choices."

LongHaul

FWIW, back in ancient times, when crew photos were taken in B&W, knee socks and garters were worn with the summer uniform, and Richard Nixon was still around to kick around...I used a 30 degree bag and was quite comfortable. I will confess though our trek did not take us to some of the highest elevations within the reservation. I don't know if there have been any significant climactic changes since then that would effect Philmont.

However, it is a definate you will need more than a summer weight sleeping bag. As noted, much will depend on how well you tolerate temperature changes and altitude. I note your from Downingtown, PA. A sleeping bag that would serve you in March in your area would probably be OK.

Good luck and have the time of your life.

SA

I took a 23 degree bag last year, we where there the last 2 weeks in July, right before the rainy season, hint hint.

We where at highest elevation at philmont, I think it got down to 20 degrees some nights. the bag I took I used once camping in Illinois in 40 degree weather, I froze in it in the Midwest at 40 degrees, but it keep me plenty warm at Philmont. A good 30 degree bag should be fine, you will have thermal underwear with you, which you can put on if it get really cold at night. Not sure if this helps you or not, but just my 2 cents worth.

The way we did it is everyone had seperate clothing just for sleeping to eliminate getting cold from damp sweaty clothes. For us we all used thermol underwear which allowed us to all have bags of around 30-35 degrees because the thermols allowed for 10 degrees less, plus having some insulation between the sleepingbag and the tent floor also helps. I dont remember a night being cold but a few where i was warm and took off my thermol top.

I used a bag rated at 20-deg a couple of years ago and was so warm that I unzipped the foot vent every night on the trail. The coldest I got was at Base Camp! I know this doesn't make sense, because every night on the trail was at higher elevation, but it was true on first and last days. I slept in clothes reserved for sleeping only to eliminate potential for food smells. I also stashed a warm pair of synthetic socks in my bag for wear only at night. In case of cold, I had a poly-pro hood and silk liner in my stuff sack for tent use, but pulled them out. Since I tend to sleep cold, I'll carry them again next time - just in case.

-mike