Whitewater Rafting Outfitters in West Virginia

Our troop is planning a Whitewater rafting trip to West Virginia. Any recommendations regarding outfitters or programs? Any other advice from those who have been? We've got some pretty good ideas put together and have talked to some outfitters. I'm seeking any other advice from this distinguished group. :)

New or Gauley. Most of the outfitters we've talked to have campgrounds. We kind of like the idea of the cabin tents (aka summer camp tents), to reduce some of the gear we have to take, but that's not a big deal. We're getting close to making reservations and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any personal experiences to relate.

We have used these folks before with success...

http://www.aceraft.com/

There are a ton of outfitters in that area to choose from. The Upper New will probably bore your scouts to tears - it is mostly Class II. The Lower New is the way to go, although there are some intense V's that may be best to avoid for the younger and more squemish. On the Gauley make sure you reverse it...the Lower Gauley is where you want to be - Class III/IV. The Upper Gauley scared me to death and I would expect there may be an age limit of at least 16.

A number of the outfitters have climbing courses and mountain biking. If you have a way to transport bikes do it - the mountain biking is superb and I would not trust the outfitter for rentals that would fit 12-13 year olds.

Couple of things in wild and wonderful WV that we have done (and may require a little driving)...

Seneca Rocks - they have expensive climbing courses but worth every penny. Age limit may apply.

Outdoor Theater - Hatfields & McCoys play is very good and they should still have group discounts.

Harpers Ferry - a little far north but good history stuff and nice tubing.

I'll finish with one of my favorite West Virginia stories. I'm sitting in an Applebees and notice a very attractive blond lady in the next booth. I sneek a couple of peeks until she smiles at me...she had about three teeth in her head. Shudder!!!!!

Thanks for the info, that's the type of stuff I was looking for. ACE is one of the outfitters we're interested in. Your appraisal of the "challenge" of the different sections is consistent with what I've found. We may put our first years on the "boring" Upper New. From what we've seen, we have some very week swimmers in the group. I don't feel comfortable with them on white water. I think our older guys (2nd & 3rd year) will do either the lower new or lower gauley. I also expect we'll do at least one of these side activities.

Did you guys do one day or two day runs?

Okay its been over 15 years since I went but boy did I have fun. My personal favorite is the ocoee river in Tennessee. After doing that trip the guides were talking about doing the Gauly. Okay I was hooked. Decided the upper would be way to much fun for me so did the lower gauly. Glad I did. Had fun but first rapid after put in the women in front of me let go of her oar and WHAP hit me in the cheek. Then this same women when we got to Heaven's gateway (appropriately named) feel out of the raft and took me with her. I was feeling rubber for far to long. Was never so glad to take in a deep breath of air in my life. When they pulled me in the raft that was the second best feeling.

I went with USA raft. One thing is ask if they get out and scout some of the bigger rapids before running them on each and every run. Ask if they put up safety lines on some of the bigger rapids. the experienced guys go first them stop and get out to get ready to throw lines.

Like I said this was over 15 years ago. The guides on the ocoee river trip highly recommended them because of their training and emphasis on safety. You used to have to have prior class 4/5 experience to go on the upper gauley trip.

Oh what an incentive to get back in shape. But I here the smaller rivers calling, no more Gauleys for me.

Have lots of fun.

We have been to WV twice recently and both times have used Rivers Whitewater Resort. They are very full service, having tent camping, cabin tents, and bunk houses. Both times we have had a three day trip, with two days on the easier upper rapids. and the last day on the monsters of the Gorge. What a rush! The guides were excellent, very professional, and safety conscious. We only brought high school agers, but I would not hesitate to include all scouts in the last days events. Rivers caters to Scout groups with special pricing and will provide equipment. The guides do all the cooking, cleaning,etc. One of the guides is a certified MB counselor, so the boys can earn the Whitewater MB while there.

They can also arrange days trips for rock climbing, horseback riding, montain biking, etc.

They will also do a professional video of your trip. www.riversresort.com

EMail me if you have any specific questions!

DALE

Those that I have experience with are

Rivers, USA Raft, and Wildwater, as well as New River Adventures...all run a very safe program with well trained guides. About the Gauley, and a heads up...it's a continous two hour carwreck....so, for first time rafters I would say stay with the New and enjoy yourself.....

• 4 months later...

I know this post is late, but perhaps someone else can use the information. About 3 years ago, our Troop used North American River Runners http://narr.com/ At the time (and I can't say now, of course) they were incredibly helpful, tailor-fit the program to our Troop and the trip/counselors were awesome! They have a lot of extras available at their base camp, like a climbing wall, ropes course, giant swing, etc., that can be scheduled into the package. They also had a dorm-like bunkhouse so that the kids could get a good night's sleep after driving there and before hitting the river. I couldn't give them a better recommendation (mind you this was 3 years ago) - Super!

Anita

Indianapolis

there are many quality outfitters out there. it is just a matter of finding them. this fall our adventure group is going with Cantrell's Ultimate Rafting (www.ultimaterafting.com). we are doing both the upper and the lower gauley. this is the first time we have tried them, so we have our fingers crossed.