The Proper Time to Awaken

"I can get up at whatever time I need to be up and will go along with whatever the program is.."

And therein lies the lesson. The proper time to rise depends on whatever is needed for that day. It's a backpack and we need to cover 8 miles plus 1,000' before lunch. It's summer camp and we want to watch the sunrise from the nearby peak. It's camporee and events start at 8 AM. It's a layover day and it will be very cold before the sun is up.

I expect the boys (as a group) to determine the best time and to abide by it. If Sleephead is the patrol cook or firebuilder, he is expected to get up earlier as needed to fulfil his obligation.

My personal opinion is that there are already too few hours for whatever we're doing, and we can sleep at home.

Our PLC decides on the get up time after considering the events for the next day.

I then remind all involved that noise before that time is breaking their promise just made and is unfair to those who need thet sleep. Rarely do we need to jump on Scouts the next day - but we also give them boundaries to stay within if they choose to get up earlier and do quite things away from the tents.

And then at the appointed time I greet the day with didgereedo kookaburra laughing. That is my daily gesture of respect to our aboriginal culture.

I also remind the PLC and Scouts that loud clanging noises are not appropriatte as that sets some people up to be very grumpy. The didge doesn't seem to do the same and I would desiist or at least play from a distance if it did.

A Scout is considerate, friendly, trustworthy etc

This past weekend we had our Klondike. Temps were down under 20 degrees at night. At about 5:00 AM I was awoken by some laughter. Originally, I thought it was coming from the troop next to us. But, after about 10 minutes of thinking "why doesn't someone in that troop quiet them down", I recognized one of the voices as being a boy in our troop. Unzipping my tent just enough to shout at them, I told them to quiet down. They did, for a little while, but continued to make too much racket. When I decided to get up, around 6:20, I rousted them out of their tent as well. Explaining the number one rule of mornings at camp. "If you wake the Scoutmaster up before 6:30, you better have a fire and coffee ready for him". Then we had a little chat about what the phrase "A Scout is Courteous" means.

At any district event, the scouts are up at 7:00 sharp

For other campouts it could be later or earlier.

ME as SPL and my assistant or the acting assistant are usually up by 6:15 to get the fire going, get water boiling(cold campouts), we get washed up and ready, put the leaders coffee on then get the rest up. WE found that this works best because then we are ready for the day and are not leaving the campsite while we get ready.

At summer camp, we get them up at 6:30 because we dont want to miss anything important like breakfast. Plus we make them all shower every morning because we have had to many parents complaining about smelly kids at the end of the week.

But the normal time is 7:00 and we usually follow this when around other troops to avoid making the others mad!

I agree with Fscouter. It depends on the event/day.

As for sleepy heads...When I was a scout about half of us were practical jokers. Sleeping late was just asking to be tricked, so we were all up EARLY! I don't know how this would be taken by the hazing police today, but we never had a problem in our troop. Pulling a prank on your buddy isn't hazing, its just good fun. I rousted each of them at some point and they all rousted me. whether it was a dropped tent or an icecube in the ear, it was never taken the wrong way.

Sylvar

• 2 weeks later...

Waking the sleepy head...

We had problem with one scout on Boundary Waters trip a couple of summers ago - wouldn't budge when dripping tent was dropped on him and didn't change after advisor dad forcefully dragged him out.

The scout Crew Leader (who had the only alarm clock and was responsible for wake-up calls) came up with solution: Breakfast would be served 30 minutes after wakeup call. Nobody was allowed to eat until their personal gear was all packed and ready to load. If you were late and chow was gone, you were out of luck.

The first morning was not pleasant, but the Crew Leader calmly explained that the only thing that "wasn't fair" was making the rest of the crew wait for an hour or longer on someone who refused to get up and move at the time they all agreed upon the night before. End of problem. With adequate motivation, our sleepy head jumped up every morning. Breakfast much more enjoyable for the rest of the trip.