Saw the new uniform

A little discouraged... This will be the 3rd uniform style since I got back into scouting in 2004.. I saw a long sleeve nylon/wool blend.. Felt nice, but it looks "too nice".. I would be afraid to wear on campouts, etc.. Haven't seen a short sleeve yet.. The pants appeard to be of the same suplex material as today.. The cargo pockets were on the front (like the ones in the early 80's).. vs on the side.. They still zippered off for shorts.. I would still buy them if thats all that was offered, but prefer the current supplex..

just my .02

83es

One of our District Commissioners (who just happens to work in our Scout Shop) was wearing one of these shirts to our Commissioners' College yesterday. He said this uniform was brought out after many pros requested it. No bloused pockets, pockets button closed, and have a button on the back side for temporary patches or Powderhorn device. The media pocket is also gone. Back to a sewn on BSA strip, and sewn on American Flag. Pretty certain he was wearing a short-sleeve version (not too many long sleeves down here) - but I don't see it listed on ScoutStuff.

Here is the long-sleeve version: http://goo.gl/Hcw8V

He did say that while it is not "required" he recommended that the shirt be dry cleaned for it to look the best.

$50 ... not cheap!

I saw this nylon/wool blend shirt at 2009 NOAC. So its been around for awhile. National has always had a more dressy version of the uniform shirt, this is just the latest version, nothing more.

Most people aren't aware of the nylon/wool blend shirts. Typically the national types, along with some of the national oa youth, wear them because they look sharp.

I too scooped up some deals (five bucks?) on the close out oscar de larenta shirts! Long sleeves, quite a bargain.

Though I was not a fan of ODL in years past, it's amazing how my outlook changed when I first saw that baggy, over-engineered thing called the Centennial uniform.

Perspective!

I understand the need for professionals to have a sharp uniform to wear to conferences, fundraisers, luncheons, banquets, and such. I wish they would put some thought also into a simple, rugged, reasonably priced uniform to wear in the outdoors.

I have one of my uniforms of the wool/blend. I have my UC patch on it so I keep the heavy duty wear on my cotton shirts. The wool/blend is a VERY nice shirt and I'm glad I picked it up on E-Bay for about $15. :)

Stosh

It's just like emb021 said ... these "nicer" shirts have always been around for the pros and "national" level volunteers.

Well that's a relief. Our parents kind of blanch at the cost of uniforms as it is. Adding to their dry cleaning bill wouldn't do much to help.

Still, a dry clean only scout shirt... it just feels wrong.

JM,

Trust me, what you wear and how you look in uniform DOES make a difference as a pro. People do judge you by how you look. If the uniform looks sloppy on you as a pro, folks will think you are not up to standards. I would not wear the current uniform for some events if I was a pro now. I'ld probably get the polywool uniform. And yes I did iron my ODL uniforms as a pro.

But I was also the DE in combat utilities, soaking wet from the rain, and covered in mud form doing cheerful service at an OA Ordeal ;) There's a time and place for everything.