In my troop I have fellow 14 year old scout who is going for his life board of review. My problem is this scout is somewhat to little active. He comes to 25 percent of the meetings, and hasnt participated in any of the outings except for summer camp in the last 6 months (and troop elections). His mother has power in our troop, and I feel people are obligated to pass him to his next rank. He does not compare to the others in out troop who have been to every meeting, and outing.

So what does the requirement Show Scout Sprit really mean? My definition is the scout is someone who wears his scout uniform with honor (This scout could care less about wearing the uniform). Active in the troop (This scout comes if it pertains to himself). How about be active in the patrol for six months. My definition if the scout is someone who comes to meetings, and helps out the troop. How about he requirement serve in a leadership position. This scout did not participate in the cub scout pack /den as Den Chief. He sat around, and wore the title. He has passed his scoutmaster conference (SC).

So my question for you fellow scouts, and scouters is would pass this scout on to life rank?

There is another thread that touches on this issue. Look for "Elected Troop Officers Problem ..." with a most recent posting in October. Many units have problems defining and setting expectations for "show scout spirit" and "position of leadership." Unless your unit has done a good job of setting and consistently enforcing standards in the past, you may have to grit your teeth for this.

Do scouts in your unit sit on boards of review for other scouts? If so, how does your unit manage this?

This scout isn't showing much "scout spirit" is he? In my troop he wouldn't advance until he improved his attendance. For life I would need from him 3-4 months of 75% attendance. For Eagle we need 6+ months of 80% attendance. This is one of the many ways we desciribe "scout spirit".

Putting expectations down on paper and having the boys sign it, or the parents is a good idea. But that will only work from this point forward. If you have not defined the expectations, holding the boy to "invisable" standards not defined during this period of time is not possible. And even if he is a rascal will no real scouting spirit, you will need objective criteria and standards to deny him a rank

Written expectations is a great idea, and could avoid misunderstandings later. But the lack of a written agreement does not mean the boy should advance. Lack of a formal definition of "spirit" does not mean the boy has a right to the rank. He must earn the rank, and the Scoutmaster is there to interpret (within reason) the requirements. If the SM feels that attendance is lacking, he is fully within his authority to encourage the boy to demonstrate greater participation before allowing him to advance. The boy shouldn't be held to invisible standards, but consider also that part of his learning is to "sell" himself to others. If he can't convince his Scoutmaster to pass him to the next rank, maybe he needs to prepare himself a little better.