Wearing a wolf pin on a venturing uniform

Hello. I'm sorry if I didn't realize that this may be a leader's only forum, but I have a question.

Recently my younger brother (A soon-to-be wolf) and his mother (his pack's leader) went missing. A few weeks ago they found my younger brother's body. He received his Wolf pin thing (I'm not familiar with Cub Scouts) and his Spirit of the Eagle. I decided to wear his pin (our father gave me permission) on my left pocket flap near my heart. I'd like to know if this is acceptable, since I don't really want to explain this to everyone, that I just wear it. And when we retrieve my mom's shirt from the police I'm gong to put one of her patches/pins on my uniform in memory.

Would this be acceptable at events like Jamborees and award ceremonies if I don't explain it?

Nicky,

First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Nobody should have to endure that amount of pain. I applaud your efforts to rise up and honor your family in this fashion. It takes courage and strength to stand up to adversity and turmoil. Hopefully your crew mates and leaders are giving you all the support they can. As far as the pins on the uniform go. It only matters to YOU! (caps for emp)You honor their spirit on your uniform, that's how you choose to. The uniform police are not going to come and take away your uniform because you choose to remember your mother and brother with a couple of pins. I'm sure a couple of people will say that according to BSA rules, it is not allowed. Guess what, those people aren't in your shoes right now. What you could use is empathy, support, or even a good shoulder to cry on if needed. I hope you find peace soon. Family and friends are the best place to find that. Hopefully, the other members in this forum can provide comfort for you as well.

Best Wishes.

I am so sorry for your loss.. That is a horrible tragidy and should not befall anyone. And my prayers go out to you and your family. You say your mothers shirt with her scout pins are with the police. Was this a cub scout event they were on went they got lost?

As Ownthenight stated, this is not a thing for the uniform police. As recently stated a Venturing crew defines itself, and it's uniforms. I am sure that your crew knowing the story, is in full support of you. Others shouldn't be questioning your uniform, as it is what the crew defines as proper.

Also post as often and a much as you like, this is not a forum for leaders, this is a forum for scouters, or those interested in scouting.. The door is open to all who wander in, and don't mind that our discussions are based on a specific topic.

Sorry for your loss, and know you never walk alone on the Scouting trail.

I also say wear what you want, and explain nothing to only those you choose.

Never been to a Jamboree, but I suppose there are such a variety of uniforms, that small deviations aren't significant.

If you do get asked just nod and Scout on.

I, too, am sorry for your lose. Tragic.

Now, as to your question. I should address what someone else said: "As recently stated a Venturing crew defines itself, and it's uniforms. I am sure that your crew knowing the story, is in full support of you. Others shouldn't be questioning your uniform, as it is what the crew defines as proper."

Not quite. If a Venturing crew decides on something OTHER then the forest green Venturing uniform, then what they want to do is up to them. IF they choose the forest green Venturing uniform, policy DOES state they must follow uniforming policies. Its not so 'anything goes' as some assume. I wrote a Venturing Uniform FAQ to address these sorts of confusion.

And uniforming policies does NOT allow for things like wearing pins intended for civilian wear, or pins worn in memorial for someone else.

I understand what you want to do, and the decision is up to you, but be prepared for people wondering what you are doing, and questioning it. They are going to assume you are wearing a pin you earned, and its really not appropriate for a Venturer or adult to be wearing Cub Scout pins on the uniform. Some may question you, and maybe not very friendly. So be prepared to be able to answer them and do so politely.

I'm so sorry about your loss. This is such a sad story. I think everyone in your area would know of the circumstances. If anyone were to say anything about the pins not being "official" they would certainly not be living the scout law, and are lacking much more than that. Prayers and best wishes for your family.

emb021 is correct. People WILL ask questions about your uniform. It is reasonable to expect them to, since unless they are friends, they won't know why you have added the unusual pieces. So, as we expect others to be polite, we might also expect you to be polite and offer at least a quick explantion. Maybe, "In honor of my Mom and younger brother who recently passed away." I think you will find nearly all folks will be understanding. Those who complain need a refresher on the Scout Law. Personally I think it is a fitting idea. In fact the other mmbers of your crew might also want to wear a Wolf badge for a specified time period in support of you.

Ken

Nicky

I am sorry for your loss as well, but I have to ask why do you even care what anyone in this forum has to say in this matter? You have made a choice and the people in your council will be the ones who will be asking you the questions and to who you will have to answer, but I am willing to bet the questions will be few and far between.

Do what feels right for you. It's a proud moment to look with joy and fond memories at the things of our loved ones. To carry those things with you in your scouting career is a great tribute to their love of the program too.

My condolences for your loss, but please know that your Scouting family is around whenever you need them, beit online or in person!

I am so sorry for your loss, it is something that noone should have to go through.

As has been said here earlier, it is not allowed by the uniform policy for the Green Venturing uniform. From a strictly uniforming perspective it is because people can choose to honor anyone with anything in that case, so it is easier to draw the line at nothing. That said, I understand your desire to honor them. Wearing them will bring some comments about them from time to time, and sometimes rude ones. The question is, is it something that you want to get into if someone does challenge it, or something that you want to even hear? Another thing to consider is what is your goal in wearing them. Do you want to wear them to show others, or just to have them near you. If the later is the case, maybe wearing them under the pocket flap near your heart might be a good solution.

Once again, you have our sympathies and our prayers.

The uniform is one of the things that sets us apart from the rest of the world. That, and the Scout Promise and Law. The uniform is often "modified" by local custom, or necessity or, in your case, need.

We understand, if you tell us and here, you have and we do.

By wearing the pins, you will invite queries and by your response you will receive understanding and sympathy and support. It is what you need and deserve. You and your dad.

Perhaps a small, black cloth background, behind the pins? If I knew you personally, I'd wear my old Wolf pin with you and proudly.

God bring you peace, Scout.