Multiple uniform shirts?

Is there a standard not being followed, or is there just no standard at all?

Honestly, I think that there should be some items that are truly restricted. However, they should (if they already can't) be able to look you (or your son) up on ScoutNet and see that they did in fact earn this award or rank.

However, all of this is probably pretty low on National's list of things to do.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using Scoutnet may be a good idea. I know that is a possibility with local council distributorships. But when I worked for national, national scout shops were not hooked up to SCOUTNET, having their own system SD system.

Another problem with SCOUTNET would be in realtionship to the accuracy of records. I know that My records were incorrect for the longest time, and even after submitting information to correct them, things were missing, i.e. Scouter's Training Award, and some items got added on by mistake.

Also in reference to rank, us old pre-SCOUTNET folks won't have our advancement records in the system. That was one thing I had to add, my Eagle, AOL, and OA info.

Edited for spelling and additiona info below.

National supply when I worked for them decided to go with a different, more reputable vendor for their computer system, one that specilized in retail businesses and had a good history with Supply. A lot of folks were VERY happy to have used this company, rather than the one National Council decided to use for SCOUTNET. One reason why supply didn't have major computer problems while the rest of the BSA did.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

In my council, cub scout ranks aren't even entered into Scoutnet. They also don't input Awards of Merit or Silver Beavers. I don't think awards and training from other councils carries over with your file if you've moved, I don't recall. At last merit badges and BS ranks are recorded.

Even if the stores had access, it be helpful in every case.

J,

When I was at PDL-1 and SCOUTNET was being introduced to us, it was being beta tested if memory serves, SCOUTNET was being advertised to us new DEs as THE new way of record keeping. It was advertised as allowing all advancement, recognition, and training to be stored in one national database AND allowing records to be portable, so that if one moved from council to council, your records, keyed to your ID number, would be accessible to your new council.

Unfortunately that either didn't happen. That or records are not being put into the system.

All I know is that I was in 5 councils in 5 years and had to redo all of my records every time.

Scoutfish, well done! Um, could I have one of each?

I'll enlist an attorney, a CPA, and a notary to ensure my papers are in order.....

I've been in many scout shops, and there is no consistency in business practices...sometimes, this is true even within the same shop.

Some employees are very helpful. Others, either unwilling or unable to assist. The red tape experts are either following the orders of their superior, or take delight in seeing how few badges get sold.

I can see a few items (eagle kits, certain other medals) being restricted, but good grief, if a mom stops in to buy another rank patch for her son's uniform, I think some respect, trust and good customer service are in order.

This is all a reflection of how National operates...councils could benefit from some old fashioned good business practices, and just not in their scout shops, but most are run like DMVs.

Eagle,

I think the intent was there (making Scoutnet a national database), but I don't think it got all the way there. I've looked up volunteers with multiple councils and there have been no records. It's a shame, really! Now, as a volunteer again and a district training chair, I stress the importance of keeping training cards. Re-taking online training is one thing, re-taking Powderhorn would be a serious pain...

They're still over thinking this. If we're trying to stop OGE's Emus (is it just emus or are kiwis a problem too?) from buying uniforms are we going to do a records check everyone buying uniform parts, too?

It isn't unreasonable for the clerk to remind everyone buying rank badges for an advancement report. But neither is it unreasonable for a parent to buy duplicate badges for new or additional uniforms.

But I suppose a reasonable, adult approach to things is asking too much.

J,

I hear ya! I lucked out with my current council. Since a good bit of training was done as a pro with my current council, and one of the FDs is still around, he verified to the registrar that "yes he did all the training he said he did."

OGE,

Emo chicks won't but sorority girls will try to buy the shorts, and discuss how they are going to modify them for their Halloween party. Luckily when I ran into them at the party, they were wearing US Army uniforms, or parts anyway, that wear heavily modified ;)

Seems to me that our scout shop tends to ask for the advancement report if you are a unit leader purchasing insignia but if you are a parent or only purchasing a few items with your own funds, they don't ask.

I bought an extra recently for a scout attending NYLT. Our scout shop uses an locally created order form for orders done by email. I simply put a note in the item description that it was a second rank badge for a specific scout. Needing a replacement or second badge isn't unusual. Can happen for all sorts of reasons and the scout shop should have a process in place.

I do like having a stash of badges at the troop level, so that we can recognize scouts immediately. But I've also dealt with enough messed up advancement records to know recognize that the follow up also has to happen (and doesn't always, despite good intentions).

The problem I could see with people trying to buy rank they haven't earned would be at the cub scout level, where scouts are a particular rank whether or not they have completed the requirements to earn that rank badge (in other words, a 2nd grader is a wolf cub for all of second grade, regardless of his status in completing the requirements for wolf).

Google Linda Ronstadt, about 50 lbs ago, and Cub Scout uniform and you might get a picture of the sexiest thing I ever saw in person!

Folks, what about the helicopter parent making shadow boxes for her Cub/Boy Scout(s). I'd hate to be the Scout Shop employee who denied her a rank patch because she didn't have an advancement report!

Well, I picked up the extra Rank patches I needed yesterday. I'm pleased to say that the scout shop guy told me it certainly wasn't a problem to purchase a couple extra rank badges for lost or extra uniforms. He said it's only an issue when a leader comes in and has a handful of 7 first aid, 8 computer, 5 shotgun, etc merit badges and claims they are all "replacements".

He laughed a wee bit when I mentioned that I brought an extra advancement form and would be happy to fill it out for the replacement rank patches too ;-)

Mike B