Whay hat do YOU wear?

So, what hat do you wear?

I'm not big on hats myself. At least not right now. Maybe about 6 years ago, I wore them all the time and everywhere.

As a Cub Scout Leader, I know I can wear the brimmed leader hat, the campaign hat, or the hat of whatever rank the Cubs were . Again, hats are not my big thing right now, but I suppose I would wear the brimmed hat, if I wore any.

So........what hat would you wear?

Oh yeah, I'm not asking which hat SHOULD I wear because I have no clue. I know. Just trying to see who ( of you ) wears what , IF you wear one. You know...your preference.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer one of my Smokey Bears, and am usually seen in one of them. But I will an old camp staff cap whenever I visit the camp. I also wear the Expedition Hat, now know as the brimmed hat, when I know it's going to rain, and occasionally will wear my gray air scout beret from the UK with my Venturing uniform.

But the bulk of the time is a Smokey Bear.

I'd wear the brimmed hat if it came in my size. I've got a fat head (literally!) at 8 1/4. Typically need an XXL or so, which that hat doesn't come in.

If anyone knows of a close substitute, let me know!

Luckily, the centennial green uniform cap fits great, so that's what I wear.

It's too bad that hats have been degraded to mere fashion accessories in recent decades. (I shudder at the beret.) Folks who spend a lot of time outdoors still know that hats are protective gear. Broad brimmed hats provide shade and keep the rain off. It it's also crushable, you can roll it up and stick it in you back pocket.

I generally wear a campaign hat, although Im still searching for the perfect one. By perfect I mean one that has been broken in, not too stiff a vintage BSA. I take a 7 3/8 to 7 , which appears not to be that common, but I keep searching on eBay.

For a while I was wearing my Wood Badge patrol cap, but I just got my Beads (happy day!) and I have retired it.

Sometimes I wear the new BSA cap.

YIS

Mike

I wear a wide brimmed, green, mesh, camp hat made by Columbia for most summer activities. I sweat a lot and sun burn easily, so I need to cover my ears and nose as much as possible. For fall, spring days when the heat and sun aren't so strong here in the great white north I wear a ball cap. Right now it's my WB patrol cap (go antelopes). For winter give me a Team Canada toque.

So I guess it depends on what season you're talking about for me.

Well, like I said, I suppose I'd use the brimmed hat if I used one. And I'd probably use it in the summer (ish) time when the sun would pos4e problems.

Thing is, my hair seems to get thicker the older i get. I favor a high and tight military flat top haircut because it's soooooo thick.Myhead sweats even when the outside temperature is less than 32 degrees, so hats tend to create an oven effect on my head.

So I'd wear it if I spent a alot of continuous time in the sun.

Wide brim dark brown leather hat. Not BSA issue, but looks good with the scout uni, as well as our venturing crew's prediliction for activity in the Appalacian wilderness.

More importantly, it sheds the rain and keeps water/snow from filling the hood of my jacket!

We are desert units, so we prefer boonie hats. Military surplus solid color boonies are my favorite head wear to protect necks and faces. Our pack even has them available as a "class B" option for outings since the sun is brutal here.

Most of the time, though, I wear my AB100 white hat, or my first Wood Badge staff ball cap.

Our troop has not adopted a hat, but there is talk amongst the new socuts that they want one. I sometimes wear the brimmed hat. It is not so "stiff" as the campaign hat, but to me is a good looking hat which impresses a good image. Interesingly, I do not wear the Adult Universal Hat pin. Instead, I wear a recreation of the old 1st Class Scoutmaster pin. I wear no other adornment on my hat. I most often wear the brimmed hat with the Class A in the outdoors or when travelling.

When I am in a Class B uniform, I often wear a Greek fisherman's hat with another 1st class scoutmaster pin on the front. My walking stick, with which I am rarey seen without, has a carved and painted buffalo on the top.

I spend so much buying uniform and scout stuff for my kids that I've never been able to justify any sort of leader hat. I do have a nice wool wide brim hat that is well broken in. I usually waer that,but it's too hot in summer. I do have a scout emblem for it, but the hat is too thick and the clips on the back of the pins always fall out and I poke my head. I also have a baseball hat with a logo on it from one of the spooky type government agencies that I wear sometimes too. A friend picked it up for me and I wear it in honor of our unsung heroes who remain nameless yet ever vigilant.

Whichever one I can find, since I'm usually running out the door trying to get Tigerson or Scoutson into the car to head out without being late :) But seriously, the rotation right now is my new FOS hat (our council is doing special editions, with each year being dedicated to the 12 pts. We're on friendly now)A baseball cap I picked up at Philmont, My Wood Badge patrol hat, with Philmont brandings on it, or a CSDC hat that resembles the state flag of Texas. For the troop, I wear the official troop baseball cap. For COH and B/G, I wear my official Wood Badge Resistol straw cowboy hat. I am looking for a good summer hat for my stint as Cubmaster of day camp, something that will stand out, not just another baseball cap...Any suggestions? maybe my Jack Sparrow 3 point? sorry, thinking out loud again