Troop Election Scandal??

Sounds like you have a bigger problem on your hands than just bad electioneering. If this scout is as much trouble as you have related, and I have no doubt he is, then his behavior is more than just unscout-like. He and his family need a serious sitdown with you and the chair and behavior expectations need to be laid out. Have you ever talked to the boy away from his father? Why does he feel the need to be the center of attention or else is so impulsive or rebellious? Having read what you just posted I think this is a serious behavioral issue that needs attention from the family. I would hate to see a boy who needs obvioulsy needs scouting to drop out. I know I sound like I am reversing a previous stand on this issue, but with this background, it is obvious more is going on that a boy wanting to be SPL and doing whatever it took to win

Wrong is wrong.

It does not matter how "the game is played" in school, work or politics. If it is the boys assumption that he was "playing the game" then it needs to be explained in no uncertain terms that "the game" is un-scoutlike, un-american, immoral and flat out wrong and exactly why it is wrong.

Just because we accept that bad things happen does not mean that we should participate or facilitate them by inaction.

The candy has been passed out, the candy (assumably) has been eaten, the honesty of the vote has already been compromised before the second election by virtue of the fact that the bribes can not be returned. The only logical course of action is to remove the scout from participation in the next election in order to assure that the previous bribes do not continue to influence the election.

All scouts holding positions of responsability in a troop need to have Scoutmaster's approval. Please notice that it does not say Troop Committee approval. When I said I would talk to the Chairman I meant I would explain the situation to him and TELL him what I plan to do and ask for his advice and input (I could be wrong you know.)

I agree with OGE, Sounds like a problem scout who needs some help and you should do what you can to help. Leadership can sometimes help these boys but not SPl and not this time around.

BUT

Folks please excuse me for this but I get the distict impression that his father was the assistant who didn't think this was a big deal. If so then their presence in the troop will be nothing more than an uphill battle with the parent being the apologist rationalizing their sons bad actions. Personally if I have tried my best and the problem continues and the Scout and his family refuse to recognise the problem then it's good riddance.

If I'm wrong I'll take jmcquillan's "dope-slap" happily.

Let us know the outcome...I'm curious to see how your folks react (i.e., committee, parents, boys in the Troop). I shouldn't stereotype (based on my personal experiences), but this is my prediction:

1) Boys will accept and understand - with possible exception to the newly elected SPL.

2) Most parents will understand, but some will make noise...more so than any Scout.

3) Committee will debate it for hours, but eventually will agree in majority with the decision.

My said experiences do not relate to your particular problem, but I think have a good idea as to how folks will react. Whether the committee agrees with you or not, stand firm. You have principle and BSA policy on your side. I probably sound a little bitter...I'm not. I just have a hard time listening to a lot of committee conversations. It only takes one person to stir the pot, and there always seems to be at least one willing person with spoon in hand.