back of merit badge sash ??

From the Uniform Inspection Guide #34283:

"Merit Badge Sash... If worn, Merit Badges are attached to the front (and back, if needed) of sash. Venture/Varsity letter is attached at bottom front corner. Temporary insignia may be worn on back."

and from the Insignia Guide # 33066 pg. 4, "Members may wear only temporary patches (no badges of rank) on the back of the the merit badge sash."

So, then we have to define "temporary insignia". From the "Insignia Guide", #33066:

Pg. 4, "... are issued for such events as summer camp, camporees, and Scouting shows... "yadda yadda.

Taken to the bottom line, common denominator, we have the idea that things you EARN (rank, privilege, certification) or are DESIGNATED AS (office, POR) are NOT to be worn on the MB sash. Things that you have PARTICIPATED IN (camporees, Scout camps, Jamborees, banquets, ) may be worn on the back of the MBsash.

YES: Camporee, Jamboree, Philmont, Seabase, recognition Dinner, NOAC,

NO: Past ranks, Patrol Leader, NESA, Fifty Miler, Life Guard, Cub Scout Stuff, Mile Swim.

GREY AREA: Book says yes to Totin Chip, Firemans Chit, but these are earned, yes?

But, again, I've seen few back of the sash displays. Only MBs on front. And V/Vs on bottom corner (rare!).

Back of the shirt is next...

Down side of trousers....

the answer is yes... but if your son is like my son the answer is "I'm not a girl scout mom" He sees lots of girl scouts since I double dip and he does not like all those fun patches. I don't like tons either except for some that are really special like my daughter's troop just took a trip to south dakota and so got a few from there which is really cool to show off to the younger scouts. My soon will stick to wearing one on his pocket when he choses to - normally he doesn't wear any temporary patches - he just sticks them in his scout show off binder.