AOL knot - how to get another one

I have an Arrow of Light knot on my Cubmaster uniform. I think it's a great thing to have, because it directly relates to the cubs working on their AOLs, and gives me a nice connection with them.

As I do more and more multi-day events, I need another uniform shirt or two. I'd like to have AOL knots on each of them. What's the method for getting them? The scout shops keep them under lock and key, and I'm not sure what evidence I can give them to get another (perhaps the current knot on my shirt)?

My first AOL knot was acquired by a former advancement chairwoman, and it was very confusing. No other leaders in my pack had knots at that point, and the store gave it to her in some confusing transaction. The new advancement chairman is less seasoned, so I'd rather get it myself if possible.

(Just out of curiousity, for people who get other knots like cubmaster / den leader / scouter / etc knots, do you get some sort of card which indicates your right to purchase/wear the knot?)

-Melgamatic

Go to the scout shop and bring your shirt. that should be evidence enough. I knwo when i worked at a national scout shop, we took as evidence of earning the AOL, and eagel as well, the following; pocket certificate, certificate, pictures from a ceremony, and the existing uniform is a replacement.

To answer your question about the adult earned knots - you can either show your current uniform or the certificate that was issued when you were awarded the knot. As for the AOL - that's a hard one as many adults have lost their certificates or any documentation. Our Cubmaster has gotten replacements by signing a form attesting to something for the Scout Shop. Best bet, wear your current shirt and tell them you need new ones for new uniforms.

Seems it depends on whether your Scout Shop considers the knots restricted or not. A few years ago I went in to put a new uniform together, I had the necessary proof I needed for AOL and Eagle square knots, but when I offered to show the cards/certs I was told it wasn't necessary.

If you have earned the award, you are entitled to wear the knot. The knots are not the actual award.

As I recall, my Scout shop had the knots for Arrow of Light and Eagle in an open bin (though I only qualified for the first one). I took an AOL knot up to the counter and asked if I needed to wait until I could bring in my card from 196_ (which I do have), and the clerk said no, the Eagle knot requires proof but the Arrow of Light does not. I suspect this varies by council, although it shouldn't.

On a related note, I have also seen other patches in bins that one would not necessarily expect to see sitting out in the open -- including, on at least one occasion, Scout Executive! One would think there would be a fairly limited valid demand for that one. I would hope they would require proof for the SE patch, as well as others I've seen, including all kinds of commissioner and other council and district level positions. Since I have never held such a position, I have never had occasion to put the "security measures" to the test.

I brought my shirt in, but the guy behind the counter didn't seem to be very concerned (he was very busy setting up a lot of new Tiger Cubs with their new uniforms) and just let me buy what was necessary. Thanks for the help.

-Melgamatic

PS: I'm sure it's not just me, but seeing parents buying their Tiger Cubs their first Cub Scout uniform makes me very happy.

A Scout is Trustworthy. I would think that this would apply to scouters as well. Why would a scouter want to wear a knot that he never earned? I suppose there are new adults, or parents who think, "Gee, this red, white and blue doohickey would sure look good on a uniform". But that has to be rare. Showing proof should not be necessary. Anyone who wants to get a knot for some nefarious reason would be able to provide a wallet card without much effort at all.(This message has been edited by jet526)

My Scout Shop won't even question AOL, youth religious emblem, Scouter Training Award, and such.

They get a little more careful when folks ask for Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, Eagle Scout, Distinguished Commissioner, Venturing Silver...