Toning down the uniform?

GW are you saying that you couldn't recognize a scout without red shoulder tabs and red troop numbers?

I think most units use unique hats, neckerchiefs, shirts etc to be able to spot THEIR scouts. These options still exist with the new unform. The BSA is simply doing what they can with the portions they control to tone things down a little.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong - but hasn't "toning down" been a continuing process, not something new with this uniform?

If memory serves, back in the late '80s/early '90s, the Powers That Be khaki'd the rank badges and patrol medallions, changing from much more colorful versions.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Actually it was in the early 80s that they went from black on red patrol medallions to the ones we have today.

As far as the rank badges they only thing that changed was from rectanmgle to oval and the background changed to match the shirt color. the emblems themselves went unchanged

The rank badges have changed a couple times.

At one time they were borderless, embroidered on fabric similar to the shirts.

Then there were the oval bordered patches with the colored backgrounds.

Finally we have what we have now.

To make things "cleaner" and more "toned down" rank patches should go back to the way they were, no borders. Same for position patches along with getting rid of the text on the position patches.

Thanks for the clarification on rank badges.

With regard to patrol medallions, in or around 1972, they went from the red-and-black batches to designs similar to today. In 1989, they lost the yellow/orange/blue/colorful backgrounds, according to the folks at patrolPatch (gilwell.com).

Going back to the original question - is the reason units are using bold/bright colors for troop shirts to pick their members out of a crowd? Or is it just because they look "cool"?

Since the old QM emblem was probably derived from the Army's QM emblem and is way too symbolic for today's world.

" - is the reason units are using bold/bright colors for troop shirts to pick their members out of a crowd? Or is it just because they look "cool"?"

I can't speak for every troop but my son's troop has orange shirts so they can be spotted. I know other Scouters who have told me that they picked bright yellow for the same reason.

"With regard to patrol medallions, in or around 1972, they went from the red-and-black batches to designs similar to today."

Correct. As part of the "improved scouting program", patrol medallions went colorful, as did the rank patches with the oval designs. Office patches were also redesigned to add lettering to give the title and more colorful backgrounds. (prior you had to figure out the office based on the color of the position patch and wreath (if it existed)).

"In 1989, they lost the yellow/orange/blue/colorful backgrounds, according to the folks at patrolPatch (gilwell.com)"

Again, correct. In 1989, the patrol patches, office patches for troops, and rank patches had the colorful background dropped in favor of more subdued tan (to match the shirt). A throw back to the pre-1972 designs.

A local troop has orange t-shirts and neckerchiefs. They meet in "The Halloween Capitol of the World", so the orange has a particular meaning for them. The orange neckerchiefs are for younger Scouts. When they earn 1st class they receive a different version of the neckerchief (black w/ orange embroidery, if I recall correctly).

So, while the orange makes their boys easy to spot, that's not the reason they wear it. I would think that some other troops might have similar local associations with a color. In a small town, with one high school, they may use one of the school colors, for example, to identify with their locality.