Be prepared for a cooler official Boy Scout uniform

Be prepared for a cooler official Boy Scout uniform

http://tinyurl.com/5lm7pz

10:33 PM CDT on Friday, July 4, 2008

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News

Gone are the Christmas green and red socks with a killer seam across your toes, pants that even your mother quietly questions, the bright red loops on your shoulders and a hat that screams hit me.

The Boy Scouts are getting a new look a new toned-down Class A uniform made of forest green and khaki high-performance fabrics, similar to what they'd pick out at REI or Dick's Sporting Goods. (And guys, the new baseball cap green all the way around with a single Scout emblem, a fleur-de-lis, monochromatically embroidered you'll want to wear everywhere).

[excerpted]

"The old shirts and bottoms are made of outdated polyester, not today's efficient synthetics."

Outdated? My "wicking" t-shirts are all polyester. And who can't forget Qiana nylon from the disco era. What's old is new.

As for the socks, mine never bothered my toes. I guess they are making seamless socks.

The Dallas Morning News, hmmmm...

Can anyone here say "tame reporter for the PR Department in Irving?"

OTOH, it's not a Wilderness MB student lighting a fire in Utah "no fire" country, nor is is sod-surfing in Georgia. Sometimes we count our blessings :)

From a distance (as in the photo), it doesn't look much different except for the green loops and unit numerals. Still a definite "dork" factor. Maybe it's the necker... Well, as my Scouting days come to a close, I won't be investing in one.

Unless someone sets me on fire and I have to replace the ones I have, I won't be buying one either. That polyester fabric will last forever.

But notice the two comparison photos. Left side, old uniform. Nice clean-cut boy with big smile in well fitted uniform, looking, well, nice. He could be petting a baby rabbit. Right side, new uniform. Unsmiling, 'means-business' look, with sleeves rolled up. At least he isn't holding an axe.

A fair comparison would be to put a tenderfoot, preferably a really pudgy, geeky-looking kid with lots of zits, the same kid, in both uniforms, timidly holding a frog. I bet the reactions to the two uniforms would be similar. But if people like the new one, that's ok by me if it's ok...bayou.

It isn't cool to be nice so BSA is trying to shed their nice guy image. No more helping old ladies across the street, now they'll push them into traffic. No more looking for lost kids or cats, now they'll kidnap them and hold them for ransom.

New advertising slogan, "Wanna be a thug? Join the Boy Scouts!"

I find it comical that they keep harping on the shorts. In 1980, that's what we wore, shorts. I wore rugby shorts until I got too chubby to be seen in them.

In 20 years, the boys will be looking back and saying, "I can't believe we wore those goofy long shorts and pants with our underwear showing." (we can only hope).

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

"In 20 years, the boys will be looking back and saying, I can't believe we wore those goofy long shorts and pants with our underwear showing (we can only hope)."

No hope for me (as my wife often says), you can count me out completely...my underwear has never shown and I have never been seen in that idiotic style.

As a matter of fact, I almost never wear shorts - too many unsightly circular scars where girls used to dare each other to touch me with a 10-foot pole.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)