Two patches on sleeve?

"scouts will not care what a Boy Scout Publication will be and unless it causes an issue of safety or grave concern adults should not force these things upon scouts."

Why not?

We force it on them in sports and few seem to care. "Tuck your shirt in or sit on the bench." "All players must wear white baseball pants and socks that match the shirt's color." What does it matter if a basketball player's undershirt doesn't match his uniform shirt's color? Not much but it must.

Part of growing up is learing that some things are appropriate and others are not. Too many parents skip this part of parenting which is why I saw a young fellow wearing a ball cap at a funeral recently and his girlfriend had an exposed belly button.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There we go again with the sports analogies! Shirts must be tucked in. It's a rule! There are tons of rules regarding uniforms in sports. Some are silly! Some aren't! And uniforms in sports are required. Uniforms in Scouting aren't.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

The difference between sports and scouts is that scouts is BOY LED!

If the Patrol Leader's Council can sit down and come up with a group decision that is supported by the majority of its members and does not risk health or safety then why should adults give their two cents?

Margaret said, "I foolishly thought I could get a simple answer to a simple question. I won't be so foolish again."

Sorry that happened. All Internet forums suffer from "too many chefs" syndrome" from time to time.

At risk of adding too much salt to the recipe, there's a way to wear a temporary patch under the right pocket but I'm not sure if it's "officially" meant to be used for a position patch. I've mostly seen it used for activity patches like a camporee or training event patcth. I bet the scout shop where you buy your uniforms can help.

Personally though, I'm with Ed... use velcro and switch patches. Have him wear the Den Chief patch when he's serving the pack and the PL patch when he's with his troop. It'll save a lot of sewing in the long run and nothing hangs from the right pocket.

"The difference between sports and scouts is that scouts is BOY LED!"

This is getting off the topic, but there are many who don't get the distintion. There are many youth who claim their position of captian of this team or that gave them lots of 'leadership experience' etc.

And you always see coaches being trotted out as some kind of 'leadership expert'.

"I bet the scout shop where you buy your uniforms can help."

I bet they can't. Sorry, but too often the people working the scout shop are very ignorant about the insignia and where they are worn.

"There we go again with the sports analogies! Shirts must be tucked in. It's a rule! . . . And uniforms in sports are required. "

So? The point is that there are right ways and wrong ways to do things and it is our job to teach our children the difference.

There is a right way to eat in polite company which isn't taught much anymore.

There is a right way to behave in church.

There is a right way to dress for a funeral.

There is a right way to wear a uniform, any uniform be it Army, Navy, baseball, basketball, or BSA.

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

emb021 said, "I bet they can't. Sorry, but too often the people working the scout shop are very ignorant about the insignia and where they are worn."

My comment was based on my experiences with the staff at the scout shops in my council. They are knowledgeable on uniform insignia and if they're not sure on something, they have access to the uniform inspection sheets that show where insignia are worn.

There is a right way to wear a uniform, any uniform be it Army, Navy, baseball, basketball, or BSA.

Yah, OK, so is there an answer key? :)

I'm just dying to know what the "right" answer is to each of these items.

Beavah

"My comment was based on my experiences with the staff at the scout shops in my council. They are knowledgeable on uniform insignia and if they're not sure on something, they have access to the uniform inspection sheets that show where insignia are worn. "

Then you are very very fortunate.

I happened to be at one of our local scout shops and was able to help a Venturing leader who was about to purchase venture strips for his uniform and wanted to know where they go. The staff there didn't know enought that they weren't Venturing items. Another time they sold a crew leader venturing silver award knots, tell them the knot could be worn to show earning a venturing bronze award...

Depends on your definition of polite.

Depends on your denomination.

Depends on who died.

Depends on the occasion and/or reason for being in uniform.

How's that Beav?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

-keep elbows off the table, use your napkin, close your mouth when you chew....

-dont fall asleep, lisson revrently

depends on who it is, but black, conservitivly.

-millitary, hats off inside, squared away and probuly a lot more

-baseball, uniform tucked in with belt and baseball pants

-BSA, thats why we have a guide and uniform inspections.

Ed's right.

In some churches I've been to, the right thing to do is talk loudly, clap your hands and stomp your feet. In other churches the right thing to do is talk softly, sit quietly, and kneel every now and then.

At some funerals I've been to, wearing black is a sign of respect. At other funerals, wearing white is a sign of respect.

At some meals I've been to, folks are expected to use their hands and lick their fingers. At other meals, folks are expected to use knives and forks and linen napkins.

As Ed notes, the "right" behavior in one context may not be the right behavior in another context.