Define "Formal Occasion"

In at least 5-6 locations there are mentions of adult wearing (and should wear) their Eagle medal and any other medals that are appropriate (God and Country, Medal of Merit, etc.) for "formal occasions".

What occasions does this forum consider "formal" enough? (think for Cub Scout and/or Boy Scout occasions)...

Blue and Gold Banquet?

Definitely an award ceremony for God and Country awards and Eagle awards....

Scout Sunday?

but what else?

I would also wear medals anytime that there is a event on display for the public:

parades, scouts acting as color guards

I'd also add troop courts of honor.

So, actually, pretty much any time that I was wearing a uniform for other than a meeting or outdoor activity. I'd say that these are the same times that youth should be wearing their merit badge sash.

I would define it as any extraordinary awards ceremony, or any special occasion where youth members are present as more than just an honor guard (except perhaps for memorial day/veterans day ceremonies), ie: Blue & Gold Dinners, Eagle Court of Honor, Troop Court of Honor (held instead of a Troop Meeting), Scout Sunday, Unit anniversary celebration (I would hope a unit would have a big celebration when they hit a 25, 50, 75 or 100 year milestone).

I would not wear it at an adult awards ceremony (woodbadge beading, silver beaver, district award of merit) because youth would not normally be present at such an event (except perhaps as an honor or color guard), nor would I wear it at a parade or at an OA function like a Winter Banquet (because ranks don't have the same import in OA and aren't part of the OA experience - except for one pre-requisite).

That's my opinion for what its worth.

I agree with everyone else with the list of formal occasions. I have 5 medals I could wear, but usually only wear my Eagle, Religious Award and a Historic Trail Medal I am proud of. Most adult scouters I see at "formal events" don't wear the medals they've earned. That is their choice.

I would rather wear them at certain formal occasions rather than have them collect dust in a drawer in my bedroom dresser. My take on our Council Recognition Dinner and District Dinner is this: these dinners are very formal affairs with great planning and implimentation gone into creating these events by many dedicated scouters. Our Council Recognition Dinner, where the new Silver Beavers are awared and recognized, is held in a elegant courtyard and the dinner is superb. Every adult scouter comes looking their best, youth also. Other than an Eagle Scout Ceremony, I would rate these events as the next, best opportunity to wear any scout medals. That is my opinion.

For District and Coucil recognition dinners, we are encouraged to wear "full dress". Those are the only occasions that I wear them for. We once had a Unit Commissioner show up to present our charter and do a uniform inspection. He looked like a North Korean General, complete with every award, medal, badge, that he had ever earned since age 8...even wore his merit badge and OA sashes. We showed him the door.

I wear my Eagle Scout medal to Eagle Scout courts of honor. I wear the Silver Beaver medal to the council dinner when the Silver Beaver is awarded. The Scouts and Scouters who have religious awards wear the medals on Scout Sunday. Otherwise, medals stay on my "love me" wall.

Ed