Multiple shoulder loops

"When questioned on the "accuracy" of what he was doing, he said show me in printing where it says I cant wear all three."

the problem with his attitude is that the Insignia Guide by and large is NOT written toward what you CAN'T wear (or who CAN'T wear) something. 99% of the Guide is written to who CAN wear something, and WHEN/WHERE it can be worn.

So. If you COULD wear multiple loops, it would say so. Also, someone could write a letter to Scouting magazine for clarification...

The Official BSA Insignia guide (item no.33066) costs about $5.00 and is a worthwhile investment for any unit. On page six in the special regulations section it says this about shoulder loops: "Colored shoulder loops identify the area of Scouting: blue, Cub Scouting; red, Boy Scouting; blaze, Varsity Scouting; green, Venturing; silver, council and district; gold, national and regional. Wear the color for the primary registered position in which you are functioning." Color is printed in the book in singular form so your good friend is not setting a good example by wearing multiple shoulder loops. EDITS for a typo.(This message has been edited by local1400)

In my neck of the woods we have a Pack/Troop whose CO is a church. The troop wears purple in some form or other all the time. Whether by CO mandate or not, they do it, and the COR has beaten back his fair share of challenges by saying simply "Would you invite the Regional President to visit with me please."

Yes, they do wear purple shoulder loops.

In two area Councils, Scout Camp Staff wear special shoulder loops. One simply has STAFF embroidered on the BSA silver loop, the other buys different ribbon each year and issues each Scout and Scouter on staff 2 sets.

Our District also awards Scouts who support 3 flag openings at RT or District Dinner R/W/B shoulder loops.

John, I've seen Scouters in my local Council wearing a CO-specific patch in the position above the right pocket normally reserved for Jambo patches.

The particular Scouter I'm thinking of is the COR for this unit, sponsored by an American Legion post. According to him, the Legion (maybe just the local post, I don't think he meant to imply it was national Legion policy) has mandated all members of its units wear that patch in that position, regardless of what the Insignia Guide or Inspection Sheet says.

And here I thought COs agreed to conduct their Scouting programs in accordance with BSA policy . . .

And here I thought COs agreed to conduct their Scouting programs in accordance with BSA policy . . .

Sure, Fred. But that's the Official BSA Rules & Regulations (aka policy) that they agreed to, alongside and co-equal to their own organizational policies (which are actually listed first, since they are the "supervisor" who is legally responsible for the unit).

Guidebooks and such aren't the same thing as BSA policy. They're under no obligation to even buy a Boy Scout Handbook, eh? Certainly not an Insignia Guide.

Besides, is an American Legion patch honoring our veterans really a hill we want to die on? ;) Or for that matter, a color symbolizing faith or God on a uniform that otherwise wouldn't have any such symbol in a God-centered organization? What do yeh think da Regional President or the Chief Scout Executive is likely to say to that?

It is always OK to modify the rules in a manner the rulemaker themselves would if they were present.

Beavah

Who said anything about dying on a hill? You can dismiss the Insignia Guide if you want. It wasn't written anyway for those that ingore "guidebooks" and do their own "thing", "knowing" that the rulemakers would do the same.

The courteous thing to do here would be to quietly clue in the poohbah at the CO that a custom patch on the uniform just makes them look silly.

"Guidebooks and such aren't the same thing as BSA policy."

Thanks for the laugh, there, eh? That's a good one!

But wait - why does page 1 of the Insignia Guide start with "Official Policy" and follow it with "Excerpts From the Rules and Regulations"? Now I am really confused. :-(

I need another good laugh, so please explain to this Tenderfoot what the word "Official" means? As in "Official Placement of Insignia" on the Official BSA Inspection Sheets. Are those just suggestions we are free to ignore? If so, why even have them?

So, you get a Scout who puts temporary patches ALL over the back of his uniform shirt, until he can't squeeze another one on. You ok with that? What do you think the Regional President would say to that, eh? I like this game! You are free to wear your patches however you want, as long as they are line with what you THINK the CSE or Regional President would allow. Maybe they will put that wording in the next Insignia Guide and clear it up for us.

If a CO wants to have something to indicate the CO that all the members of the unit will wear, there are better methods of doing so then putting a patch in the place reserved for Jamboree patches or unique shoulder loops.

Several National COs have such patches. They are ALL worn as temporary insignia on the right pocket.

(btw, I have seen a 'Legion Boy Scout' patch. A unit in my state wears such, but do so on the right sleeve, making it a little difficult to wear quality patches. I wouldn't put it there, but better then then other locations)

...a bit of a twist on this thread, but where do you get the yellow (or Gold) loops? I was chatting with a scouter last night about the loops and he said that he has been doing area stuff now for a while and had been looking for some. I just assumed that if you are asked to be on a area, regional, or national position, they give you that stuff. He said no.

I said, go get them from www.scoutstuff.com and he said they are no there. So I said how about the scout shop. He said, they don't have any. Now, I am guessing that as an area, regional, or national scouter...that would be a registered position...I would imagine and as such, he should be able to call supply or have scout shop order them, no? I told him to look it up in the insignia guide (...said he did not have nd I said just look in it on the shelf at the scout shop) and ask them to order it.

Simple, no? Or are these elusive yellow loops under lock and key? (I told him to grab the ones from the staff member and give him 2 bucks and he should be able to replace them easily...he he he).

I get silver loops over the counter at the Scout Store, but my guess is that the gold loops are a little more restricted for sale...

Since loops identify the role someone is registered for, what is his primary role and who is he representing/serving?

If he's representing or serving the area, i.e. committee, he should wear the loops. If he's representing his council at an area function, I'd think silver would be more appropriate...