Uniform awareness presentation project

Trevorum,

All I am saying is the different CSP just make it confusing to "me." I don't know if they are authorized or not but when each council makes and sell these patches its telling the scouts and scouters that its an authorized patch to wear whether they are or not. I also can understand the appeal to wear some of these CSP because they are nice patches.

Mark M.(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can see that a part of the presentation will have to cover the "issue" of which is a CSP and what isnt may need to be included. I am very grateful for the feedback those members of this forum have posted regarding this thread, I thank you all and am tailoring my outline to reflect most of the views that were posted here, especially Lisa'Bobs regarding the target audience for this topic.

I had hoped that having it flexible enough for the Scouts would be beneficial, but upon review, I see that having Scouters and parents as the focus will likely have the best long term result in that those folks will exert the most influence any of our Scouts will see.

I do feel that having it (the presentation) flexible in scope to be able to go further in depth for Roundtable or leader training, or having the more basic information covered for new Scout parents will still work out.

I am considering having a demo using the new "switchbacks" uniform pants versus blue jeans/cotton pants by taking a pair of each and immersing them in water and wringing them out at the start of the presentation, and comparing which pair of pants will be drier at the end of the presentation by offering participants the chance to compare and draw their own conclusion.

kraut-60 writes:

I am considering having a demo using the new "switchbacks" uniform pants versus blue jeans/cotton pants by taking a pair of each and immersing them in water and wringing them out at the start of the presentation, and comparing which pair of pants will be drier at the end of the presentation by offering participants the chance to compare and draw their own conclusion.

As soon as possible before the presentation, suspend another pair of Switchbacks over a bucket of water with the bottom inch of both pant legs immersed in the water, with another pair of jeans suspended over its own bucket of water with the bottom inch of both pant legs immersed in the water.

At the end of the presentation, a participant measures with a yardstick how far up the pant legs the water has traveled. In front of a fan, have each participant put one bare arm in contact with the inside of the wet cotton leg with the other bare arm in contact with the inside of the wet Switchback leg and decide which arm is more comfortable.

In theory a third demonstration is possible: in front of a fan a thermometer in contact with wet jeans will show a lower temperature than a thermometer in contact with wet nylon. I haven't verified that myself.

Kudu

1) The old Cub Scout training motto: KISMIF.

Decide exactly what the desired characteristics are for your audience. TAILOR your training to their knowledge and experience level.

A parent becoming a Scouter, who is at the New Leader Essentials level of knowledge needs and merits basics. Give him and her exactly that.

If you elect to take that "becoming a Scouter" parent, and expose him/her to the depths of arcane knowledge and Indian Lore about CSPs, and you risk losing them to the movement forever.

A more advanced course, perhaps for a UOS, a roundtable special feature, or Commissioner's College can go into deeper detail.

2) In light with the water-wicking demo, do a fire demo. Put a match to:

- Nylon of the weight used for the new shorts.

- Poly/cotton of the weight now used for trousers.

- Cotton of blue jeans

- WOOL!

Three of these fabrics will require water and/or a fire extinguisher at hand. The wool won't.

I hope the BSA standard fabrics are treated with fire retardent, but I'm not betting on it.

3) POWERPOINT? POWERPOINT??? The most effective training is hands-on! Leave the puter at home.

(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

• 1 year later...

I am bringing this thread up after all this time to report that I did indeed do it and that it came off well...thanks in a large part to the feedback(GIFT) I received from those here on the forum.

There was no powerpoint or demonstration of fabric performance or non-performance, instead I used the official policies and BSA regs as the foundation of the presentation, the first 2 pages were composed of this material. I pointed out what the uniform does and asked questions to promote discussion among the audience.

I had an additional 2 pages of information that included why camo isnt a good idea...wearing older/vintage uniforms...reasons TO wear scout uniform pants/switchbacks...and a narrative that had the listener on an airliner with the crew in uniform from the waist up and how they would react...I asked the listener to give THEIR impressions of what they thought of uniforming and does it better the BSA program or detract from it.

I will strive to post the presentation I gave so that any who are interested can peruse it at their leisure. As per John-in KCs advice, I left this presentation flexible enough so that it can be expanded to a College of Commissioner Science class, or simplified for a new Scout parent orientation, or as a quick instuctional capable of being delivered by a Scout to the patrol or troop.