Persuading Boys to Wear the Uniform

About that Scout Underwear. When my younger son was complaining about wearing his uniform he said one time "next thing you'll be making me wear Scout underwear."

So for Christmas, I took a pair of his tighty whities, sewed a Scout rank patch on the front and wrapped them up.

He loved it!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uniforms - "Does the clothes make the man, or does the man make the clothes?" I say both are true.

First of all, the adult leaders are the standard that the boys look at every time there is a scout gathering. In my troop, us leaders lead the boys by example. We wore our uniforms for every scouting event. If there was a chance of getting it soiled, we covered it or changed our clothes. The uniform was properly patched, no threads hanging, and proper shoes being worn. Our behavior was likewise.

Second, boy leaders need to be held to the same standard. The younger boys look up to them in leadership. If they are not willing to wear the uniform, they should reconsider being in a leadership position. This is "scout spirit" and rank being given should be considered.

Third, All scouts should be proud to wear their uniform. There is nothing in Scouting that they should be ashamed of. I was proud to display my badges and uniform when I was a scout.

Forth - This is hard to do, but all teenagers want to fit in. A two edged sword. At scouts it is easy to get them to wear a uniform because everyone is wearing one. Getting them to wear them in public where schoolmates may pick on them is different. As a scout, I did not let anyone speak down about scouts or my uniform. Once my patrol and troop members saw that I would not back down, they too developed that spirit. This spread to scouts in other troops in my school.

"The man makes the clothes"

Even if a scout is out of uniform, they should still have the conduct of a scout.

Many times when we would do service projects, people would come up to us and make comments that we all looked good in uniform. Many were older people, but there were some younger ones. I remember when some girls as school commented on how we looked. We had no problem getting the scouts wearing their uniforms after that. Girls still like seeing guys in uniform still goes. Also girls do not like seeing guys being ashamed of being in uniform.

RD

Encourage one part....

Howzabout a Neckerchief Slide Contest??

Go to your local ice cream shoppe and/or bakery and ask for some coupons to use as prizes...

Suggested Rules:

1) Entries must be "practical". They must be able to be applied to a neckerchief in the appropriate manner.

2) "On your Honor":, Made by the Scout. Adults may advise, but Boy made only.

3) Create some judging divisions... Carved wood, Carved 'other',

'recycled' masterials, etc.

4) Create some award divisions... Most creative, best use of color, best Scout Spirit, etc. 1st, 2nd, 3rd??

4) Try to have some outside people do the judging. Art teachers from school? COR?

5) Have the judging and exhibit at a COH or other big event.

6) Announce the contest after deep discussion among the Troop Committee(" Sure, why not? It's your idea, Go for it!") Give it a good time, maybe two or three months? And remind folks.. Pull out the Old Timers slides of yeateryear as inspiration ( ASMs wear the full uni, right?)

KiSmIf

YiS

(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Hi all.... I'm a bit new at this. My sons pack is a really good pack. There are over 80 boys, and last year they had 2 full 2nd year webelos dens that all made the jump to boyscouts. Uniforming is definitely not their strong suit. I see a lot of untucked shirts, missing hats, dissheveled neckerchiefs, and missing/incorrectly placed insignia. But my issue is more with the adult leaders than with the boys. The pack committee decided to change the uniform requirements to make hats, pants, socks, and belts optional for both adults and kids. I disagree with this, but I understand the financial reasoning. My issue is that many of the adult leaders show up to pack meetings in a uniform shirt and jeans. Some don't even tuck their shirts in. Now I am far from being a member of the infamous and notorious UP, but I believe that adults are ALWAYS setting the example whether or not we want to. I also believe that adults should always try twice as hard as the kids. I suggested that the adult leaders stop wearing jeans at pack meetings and all wear either uniform pands or a suitable substitute, aka khakis, cargo pants, etc. I am being told that jeans are "good enough."

So my question is this. Am I out of line in tactfully reminding this pack leadership that our motto is "do our best" and not "do our good enough."

dsantos,

I direct you to the Cub Scout Leader Book - let it answer the question for you. pg. 12-11, How To Wear The Uniform.

"Uniform parts should not be worn separately or with civilian clothing. The entire uniform should be worn or not at all. The pack does not have the authority to make changes to the uniform."

Same page, under How To Uniform Your Pack.

"Remember that uniforms identify boys and leaders as members of the BSA. Make sure that they wear the full and correct uniform."

I like to ask what would happen if their son showed up to a baseball, basketball, soccer or football game wearing only their uniform shirt. Would they get to play?

I am an example as I serve as ASM. I should always wear a complete uniform, not just selected parts of the uniform.

This is the attitude I have adopted for myself in my role in Scouting. I encourage my fellow adult scouters to share my example. I also instruct and encourage the SPL/ASPL/PL/APL,s that I am training in the Troop Leader Training program to be a good example by first being complete in uniform and then in their actions and duties to the scouts they are leading.

I would like nothing better than to see the scouts in the troop I serve appear in complete uniform to all events suitable for wearing a complete uniform,...however I can only hope for this result,..the best method to encourage it is still being a good example.

We normally offer scouts in complete uniform a candy treat at the end of our troop meetings,...the treats are the halloween fun size and we give 1 treat for uniform shirt, 1 for scout pants with belt and 1 more treat for uniform socks.

Hat and neckerchief can also garner an additional treat.

We havent run out of candy yet....but we may someday.

Being a reasonably silent example seems to work, no one wants to be nagged about what they wear. I once had one scouts mother not recognize me as she had only seen me for the better part of a year wearing only my uniform, not the civvies I was wearing while shopping at the supermarket.

Kraut60: Positive reinforcement, ooooo, I like that idea. I believe I will suggest that at our next Comm meeting.

Do you recommend a 'fair warning announcement' to the troop before you start the candy awards, or just start as you see the good uniforms and let word get around?

I try to set the example for my entire pack, in fact the other den leaders made some comments in jest about me showing them up by wearing a complete uniform to every meeting. Besides myself, only the CM and ACM wear a uniform of sorts - shirts usually. The boys are usually uniformed from the waist up.

My wife and kids ran into last year's Tiger den leader at the store who made a comment about not even having a uniform and Karen said, "That's just John's way, he'll wear the uniform or not do it at all." I guess after 13 years she knows me.

That being said, I still couldn't get her to pony up the money for a pair of cub scout pants for our Tiger. Guess what will be under the tree from Santa in a few weeks? Now to get him to keep his shirt tucked in....

John

Tiger Den Leader

Pack 13

SSScout; I would suggest just treating those boys who are in uniform and let the message be sent by deed versus word. In my expeience, most Scouts tend to forget any type of warning regarding those areas of Scouting not immediatly perceived as being "fun", and uniforms seem to fall into the "not-fun" category for most Scouts.

WVCubDad; I have had similar experience when I too was a Cub den leader. I wore my uniform to everything Scout natured, and was asked if I owned any civilian clothes by a fellow den leader once. My wife has never had a problem in spending for Scout uniforms. Her only request is that the uniform be worn to all Scout functions so as to justify the cost and to get our monies worth from the uniform before its outgrown.

I always have to wonder when I see a Scout come to the weekly meeting in just the tan shirt or a troop/camp t-shirt when I know the Scout owns a complete uniform but seems to busy to bother with it.

In the new TLT (Troop Leader Training) course, I point out to the new boy leaders that they should ALWAYS set the example by being in a complete uniform. Some Scouts arent sure why this is important, but I then ask if they are in or have been in sports or band. Most have been in one or both. I then ask how would the coach or director react if they had shown up to a practice/game or performance not dressed correctly. Most seem to "get it" and then understand why a junior leader SHOULD be completely uniformed.

I really wish that the new "Swithbacks" Scout uniform pants were availible for the Cub Scouts in their uniform shade of blue. These pants have been very well received by the Scouts I have seen wearing them and in my sons case, he has worn them for every thing including going to school.

Perhaps if the Cub Scouts can get these new pants, more parents would be willing to buy them. I see only one complaint parents have and that is the length of the zip-offs and that what to do as the boy grows. Any ideas out there?

"I like to ask what would happen if their son showed up to a baseball, basketball, soccer or football game wearing only their uniform shirt. Would they get to play?"

The answer is yes, at least in rec league baseball and soccer--as long as the pants were close enough to serve the purpose. In rec baseball, all the boys were issued baseball pants, but some showed up in their own...no problem. No shorts allowed though. In rec soccer, all the girls on my daughter's team were issued uniform shorts. Some show up in different shorts of the same (or similar) color. No problem. The situation was different on a travel soccer team.

So is Scouts more like a rec league where the kids play for fun and nobody raises a fuss if the soccer shorts don't have a stripe down the side, or more like a travel or school team where those kinds of rules are strictly enforced by adults? Or is the analogy just not all that helpful?

Hunt writes: "So is Scouts more like a rec league where the kids play for fun and nobody raises a fuss if the soccer shorts don't have a stripe down the side, or more like a travel or school team where those kinds of rules are strictly enforced by adults? Or is the analogy just not all that helpful?"

I guess it depends on how you feel about Scouting. Do you treat it as you would a rec league where kids are just playing for fun, or do you treat it as one of the most important programs your son will ever participate in? Is Scouting something you just do one night a week, or is it a way of life for you and your son? Does the rec league have a rich history, with many notable players wearing the uniform in the past? Would wearing the wrong shorts be seen as disrespectful to those who have worn the uniform previously? I doubt it, but the same doesn't hold for Scouting.

"I guess it depends on how you feel about Scouting. Do you treat it as you would a rec league where kids are just playing for fun, or do you treat it as one of the most important programs your son will ever participate in? Is Scouting something you just do one night a week, or is it a way of life for you and your son? Does the rec league have a rich history, with many notable players wearing the uniform in the past? Would wearing the wrong shorts be seen as disrespectful to those who have worn the uniform previously? I doubt it, but the same doesn't hold for Scouting."

You raise some good points, Brent, and they go to why a boy would want to wear the complete uniform--a goal I support. But when the sports analogy comes up, it usually--as it did this time--ends with "Would they get to play?" If they don't get to play, it's because the adults are enforcing the rule. I just think that's the wrong approach to encouraging full uniforming in Scouting--really, the point I made in the first post in this thread back in July--indeed, I even mentioned your last point, that Scouts should wear the uniform out of respect for others. Wouldn't you rather have your troop fully uniformed because the boys think it's important, rather than because they know Mr. SM won't let them play if they aren't?

I direct you to the Cub Scout Leader Book - let it answer the question for you. pg. 12-11, How To Wear The Uniform. "Uniform parts should not be worn separately or with civilian clothing. The entire uniform should be worn or not at all. The pack does not have the authority to make changes to the uniform." Same page, under How To Uniform Your Pack. "Remember that uniforms identify boys and leaders as members of the BSA. Make sure that they wear the full and correct uniform."

Yes, these are the official rules and I follow them as an adult leader.  However, these are policy guidelines and not law.  The policy is good and gives us guidance, however I have yet to witness or hear of any unit losing their charter because they did not follow the written policy.

As leaders, we should set the example and show grace to those that are little behind on the uniform policy.  Encourage but do not force.  There is no requirement in the BSA that one must wear the uniform to be a member.

Hunt,

I agree with your reasoning, and hopefully the boys will recognize the reasoning as well. The problem I see is some adults will see a boy throwing on a uniform shirt on the way to a meeting, after a sports game or practice, and encourage that as an attempt to be in uniform. I totally disagree - I would rather they just attend the meeting in their sports clothes than wear half the uniform. I think wearing just the shirt looks bad, and sends the wrong message. Next thing you know, half the Troop or Pack is wearing only the shirt, even though they didn't just arrive from a game or practice.

Jeffrey H,

The Insignia Guide contains the Excerpt From the Rules and Regulations for uniforms, and it states the same thing. These are the rules, not guidelines. You are correct that a boy doesn't have to wear a uniform to be in Scouts, but the rules and regulations state if you are going to wear the uniform, you wear it correctly, according to the regs. You won't see anyone lose a charter over it; you will rarely see anyone lose a charter over any violation of many of the rules that happen all the time. I think it is important to point out to a Pack that they don't have the authority to change the uniform - they probably don't realize they can't do that.

"The problem I see is some adults will see a boy throwing on a uniform shirt on the way to a meeting, after a sports game or practice, and encourage that as an attempt to be in uniform. I totally disagree - I would rather they just attend the meeting in their sports clothes than wear half the uniform. I think wearing just the shirt looks bad, and sends the wrong message. Next thing you know, half the Troop or Pack is wearing only the shirt, even though they didn't just arrive from a game or practice."

I agree with you on this--if you can put the shirt in a sack and change into it, why not the pants? It only takes seconds. I'll steal your analogy, and ask if the football practice was after the Scout meeting, do you think they'd have trouble getting the full football uniform on?