uniforms at summer camp

I have a question about what is "usual" apparel for your scouts at camp. The camp my son is going to requests that the boys wear their uniforms for flag raising/lowering and his troop has a tradition of also wearing uniforms for the evening meal and opening and closing ceremonies. That's fine, as my son has two sets of the full uniform. During the rest of the day they've been advised to wear "field" uniforms. This is where my question comes in.

My son owns two troop T shirts and several (cub) day camp t shirts. He also owns a variety of other "camp-worthy" old clothes that I would not be upset if they came back in poor shape or even not at all, but they're not scout clothes (they don't have anything scouting related printed on them). Perfect camp stuff in my view. But does this advise to wear the "field" uniform mean he ought to be wearing a troop T shirt every day? Assuming he changes his clothing (I know, a lot to expect of a 12 year old!) that means I need to buy another 4 or 5 t shirts at $15 each and I'd rather not! Used t shirts aren't an option here either - they just don't hold up that well.

Also in your estimation, does "field uniform" mean boy scout shorts? Or could they be any type of shorts, with a boy scout T shirt?

Let me know what you think and thanks.

Lisa'bob

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it was taught to me, and which is usually how it goes here in Florida, the "field uniform" (which some call 'class b') consists of the following:

* a scout-related t-shirt

* scout shorts

* scout belt

* scout socks

* scout-related hat

If its 'any type of short', how can it be a 'field uniform'?

And any scout-related t-shirts are ok. Doesn't have to be a troop t-shirt, doesn't have to be the camp t-shirt.

Also, your camp's request is not unusual. That's pretty typical of all camps I'm aware of.

Regarding:

"Assuming he changes his clothing "

Based on several years experience, you assume incorrectly. You'd send 5 shirts to camp and come back with 4 clean ones...

We encourage only 1-2 tshirts, preferably non-white as they are usually filthy about 10 minutes after they arrive at camp... :-)

This is 'freedom' week for the scouts. If I didn't insist on mandatory shower days, in most cases, it wouldn't happen.

Our troop requires full uniform at breakfast and dinner, and for all camp wide programs (flags, campfires, etc.) During the day the scouts are free to wear anything they want, but most are in bathing suits, t-shirts, shorts or jeans. They don't have to be official scout shorts or scout t shirts. Let them have a little freedom. We are not the military!

Thanks for the responses so far and I look forward to more.

Let me clarify my question a bit. I am not asking what *should* be the policy. I am asking, if "field uniforms" are expected (and yes, I've noticed that this is the recommendation for most BSA camps), then what exactly can my son get away with here?

Is it the case that most BSA camps say field uniforms are expected during the bulk of the day but no one really dresses in compliance w/ the recommendation? In that case I could send him with his generic camp clothing and he'd be fine.

In other words, what do I need to buy for him and what can I manage not to buy, without causing him to stick out like a sore thumb because he's incorrectly dressed?

Lisa'bob

I've only been to 3 different scout summer camps, but all 3 of them required "Class A" (meaning shirt if nothing else) for dinner and campfire programs. Some required Class A for morning flag. The rest of the time, while a Class B was preferred, they could wear any kind of pant or shirt. Preferrably a scouting related shirt. No inappropriate logo shirts like for beer companies or such.

The only restrictive thing I've experienced was National Jamboree last year. Our council required our 3 troops to have 3 Class A uniforms. We had special hats and t-shirts made and they were the only hats and t-shirts allowed. Civilian clothing of any kind outside of pajamas or swimsuits were strictly forbidden. We did look sharp. It was however irritating to see other councils kids walking around in untucked t-shirts for their favorite sport teams. That was very rare, but you saw some of it.

Our council camps say activity uniforms for flags & evening meals, & field uniforms for all other activities. Our troop has a tradition of also wearing activity uniform for church services. Now, our council camps are very lenient on "proper" uniforming...the uniform shirt suffices for activity uniform and ANY Scout T-shirt (Day Camp T-Shirts included) paired with non-BSA pants or shorts is considered "field" uniform. I know that is not "correct" but most of the Scouts out here don't own BSA pants or shorts and no-one seems to care. I take care to model the correct way to wear both activity & field uniform but will not criticize those who don't wear the pants or shorts.

Our council sells left-over Day Camp T-Shirts for about $2-$4. That might be something for you to check into for inexpensive Scout T-Shirts. We also have serveral boys who have amassed a great number of Scouting related shirts over the years (camp staff, NYLT, Jambo, yadda, yadda) who loan them to boys who need a couple more shirts for a couple days.

National now makes short BSA socks -- the kind that comes just above the shoe line -- you know...the ones boys like to wear now. They are a white sock over the foot but have the traditional red & green stripes at the very top, which just show at the top of the shoe. If you want to get your Scouts into BSA socks with less of a fight, these are a viable alternative.

As to what counts at your council camp -- a phone call would be your best bet.

SR540Beaver pretty much said what I was going to. One thing they DO get sticky about at most scout camps is the wearing of 'open toed shoes/flip flops' around camp.

My experience is that its usually at events such as National Jamboree, NOAC (they seemed to have gotten very picking about everyone being in full uniform most of the time), and OA Sectional Events that they expect ONLY full and field uniforms, and nothing else, during the entire event.

My son's a staffer this year, he has both his Troop and Crew Class A uniforms in his cabin. He was issued 4 staff shirts for his particular camp, and 2 for the reservation. He is expected to wear:

BSA socks

BSA shorts

Scouting belt (he has a choice of his MOS, Philmont, and generic scouting leather belt)

Staff shirt

OA coup thong

MOS claws

Only at campfire are Class A uniforms in play, depending on weather dependent (heat alert 1 (WBGT > 95F) takes them out of play.

I sent him to Scout Camp at Geiger (St Joe, MO) to get him a week of camp before he went into job mode. There he had:

A variety of camp shirts and day camp j-staff shirts from the past couple of years.

Blue jeans for work day.

Grey Cabela's shorts (what our Crew elected for Class A pants/shorts).

Scout shorts.

Scout and Venturing Class A shirt.

OA coup thong

MOS claws

Class A for supper, please :)

As a Tribesman, for Thursday night and Friday night ceremony he had an array of ceremonial regalia and mandatory moccasins (hard sole, naturally).

In prior years, at H Roe Bartle, he's worn the shorts he took on the mountain trek at Philmont (2003), Philmont shorts, blue jeans, and his Class A uniforms for chapel and Call Night campfire. Oh. He had his Tribal attire last year for MOS elevation.

Was this TMI?(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Yah, Lisa'bob, I'm with whoever said "your son should ask his patrol leader."

But for some quiet addled adult info, I've never known a camp to do more than request attire. All "enforcement" is left to the troops. Around most camps during the day, scouts wear whatever they want in terms of shirts and pants (barring inappropriate slogans on T-shirts). Some troops will require their boys to wear troop or scouting-related T's, but they're a minority.

I'm old fashioned enough that I like to see boys in full activity uniforms for flag ceremonies (and therefore for breakfast and dinner right afterward). But then I remember my pet triceratops.

My son's troop suggests that the boys wear ANY scout related T-shirt when ever the field uniform isn't required. For young Boy scouts, that usually means bringing several cub scout Day Camp shirts, which is okay at our council's camp.

From my exprience this is what most camps request, however (based on the three camps I have gone to) it is almost never followed. They do expect the class a at meals/flags, but otherwise, whatver seems to go. My adivse would be to ask other scouts/leaders in your unit (or other people who have been to the camp before.)

Any scout related shirt seems to do my son likes to wear his cub scout day camp staff t-shirts in hopes that someone will mistake him for summer camp staff. He has almost enough official shorts to make it thru summer camp but judging by what I see at open shoot on the rifle range in the evenings any old shorts will do. Some of the boys even show up from dinner in class a shirts which will walk home by themselves at the end of the week.

Our summer camp didn't have any requirements but as a troop we required the boys to be in field uniforms for flags but not of meals. Since we cooked our own meals, that would soil the uniforms to an unbearable degree by the end of the week. Still, I was amazed at how dirty the uniforms got by mid week and unrecognizable by week end. I know a scout is "clean", but man, how do you keep them clean in a dust bowl of a camp? By Thursday, I stood there in my relatively clean uniform comparing the cleanliness of other scouts from other troops. Our scouts clearly were missing the mark. I guess I need to spend more time making sure the scouts keep out of the dirt than having fun at camp. This stuff is hard work!