Placement of World Conservation Award

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know the Insignia Guide says different but this is an award not a camp-o-ree patch. They should allow the Scout to wear it on the right position above the pocket (if there is no Jambo patch). For

Or they can just forgo a camp patch and wear it instead as something that stands out. I can recall seeing hundreds of boys with C&O Canal trail patches in my time, I was the only one I ever saw w

I thought it replaced the World Scouting Movement badge over the left pocket? No.

"I think part of the reason there are scouts with it located above the right pocket is that the Badge Magic has an 'Official Placement of Insignia' sheet that shows the World Conservation award above the right pocket. "

YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT?!?!?!

I don't use the stuff, preferring needle and thread instead.

Yeah, the wording on the Badge Magic says "World Conservation Award is worn as a temporary patch, centered on the right pocket" and the picture shows the shoulders and pockets as on the previous official uniform inspection sheets. However, an addition that's not on the inspection sheets is the World Conservation Award above the right pocket where a Jambo patch would go.

Their sheet is similar to the inside back cover of the Bear and Wolf books ("Official Placement of Insignia") plus the addition of the WCA above the right pocket.

• 1 month later...

Have the requirements for the Boy Scout WCA always been the same? I was a Scout in the 1980s and earned those merit badges, but never got the WCA. I was under the impression there was some additional requirement as well, but I might be mising it up with some other award. My old handbook is misplaced -- anyone remember or care to check?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Just my opinion...

I would LOVE to see the placement of the award next to World Crest as a true symbolism of us connecting with our World Scouting Bretheren and truly leading the charge of us showing that we truly care for our planet. Right now the AVERAGE boy doesn't even know that they can earn the award and that would truly show a push for that award and possibly even the Hornaday once they catch the bug. In the 80's that's where I wore mine along with tons of other scouts in the Chicagoland area because we were PROUD of that award and what it meant.

Just my opinion on the award(This message has been edited by Groovephig)

"I would LOVE to see the placement of the award next to World Crest as a true symbolism of us connecting with our World Scouting Bretheren and truly leading the charge of us showing that we truly care for our planet."

Actually, what would really show us 'connecting with our World Scouting Bretheren' would be to do what WOSM seems to want us to do and replace the World Conservation Award with the World Environmental Award.

See the WOSM site for more info on this.

If the AVERAGE boy doesn't know he can earn the World Conservation Award, then the AVERAGE boy isn't reading his HBs.

I earned it just because I earned those MBs, but I knew that I could since I had read my book and it was right there. Actually, I didn't even wear the award until we moved back to the states. Everyone in TAC wore the council round patch as there temporary insignia, so I had the patch for at least two years before I even sewed it on my uniform...and there it stayed as my only temporary insignia until I aged out at 18.

I also received a personalized letter from the DFS....which goes a long way when your 13.

In certain cases, a temp patch on the pocket didn't work for some female scouters. The de la Renta uniforms were not anatomically compatible in some cases. As a result, they moved the temporary patch up above the pocket, like a jamboree patch. Others saw that and copied it, increasing the placement confusion. I don't know if the newer uniform design has the same problem.

RD,

If you read the uniform inspection sheets found on scoutstuff.org, ALL Cub Scout leaders, irregardless of gender, and female scout and venturing leaders can wear 1 temp patch either in the jambo spot, or on the pocket. That further adds to the confusion

And yes the WCA in the BSHB, so if a scout wants it, he has the info.

• 13 years later...

I know this conversation is long since dead but my Cub Scout recently earned and I was surprised to see the "temporary location" as the spot online. I was a Cub in the early 90's and many in my Pack earned it and all wore it in the Jamboree position above the right pocket.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:17 PM, niagarafalls said:

I was a Cub in the early 90's and many in my Pack earned it and all wore it in the Jamboree position above the right pocket.

When I was a cub, the world crest was o my for international participation. We wore the world conservation award on that side, not the Jamboree side. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

When I was a cub, the world crest was o my for international participation. We wore the world conservation award on that side, not the Jamboree side. 

Did you wear it next to or instead of the World Crest? I've seen it in recent years next to as well but I know a while ago it was instead of