Appropriate Footwear?

Can anyone tell me what is considered appropriate footwear for non-camping activities? Recently, many of the leaders I see are wearing open-toed footwear to troop meetings and other non-camping activities. What is considered appropriate? I've noticed that the phrase "closed-toed" has been removed from the uniform description in the Boy Scout Handbook.

Hi,

Sometime back I seen a list where it asked participants attending Wood Badge not to wear white shoes.

I'm a little unsure where it came from and why in these days of so many people wearing "Trainers" white would not be acceptable.

I can't help thinking that open-toed footwear with Scout uniform socks would look kinda silly and not wearing uniform socks is not being in uniform.

I remember in my young days I thought I was very cool in my knee high platform boots, like the ones Elton John used to wear.

Our Council requests that campers don't wear open toed footwear at camp. The request is made as a SYT (Save Your Tootsies)type thing. As yet we have to recruit a unit of Footwear Checking Commissioners.

When OJ comes home from camp Her That Must Be Obeyed, makes him load his stinky socks in the washer himself. She refuses to go near them,even Rory who will chew just about anything doesn't go near them.

Welcome to the forum.

I as a rule wear brown leather shoes when I'm dressed in uniform for non active activities??

Eamonn.

I personally think that the footwear should be appropriate for the activitiy. If a troop meeting or other event that will be indoors with no safety hazards then I don't see a problem with open-toed shoes. On the other end of the extreme, if you show up for a winter campout wearing tennis shoes you'll be sent home to change.

edited to add:

I do remember some discussion regarding sandal-type shoes for situations where the scouts would be wading. Some leaders encouraged this while others felt that full water-shoes should be worn in case of stubbing a toe on a rock. Again, my personal opinion would probably depend on the likelihood of sharp rocks being in the area in question.(This message has been edited by AwHeck)

I agree that the shoes should fit the activity. Often I wear sneakers to troop meetings, especially in the summer when I'm wearing my scout shorts. If I'm going to a district meeting, I'm more likely to wear casual or dress shoes. Funny you mentioned open-toe shoes with scout socks. I had a boy wear just that at our troop meeting this week. Gotta admit it looked a little odd, but he seemed to like it.

I thought the footwear used to be addressed more specifically, but I just checked all uniform inspection sheets. For Cubs, Scouts, and male leaders, all that is listed is "Leather or canvas, neat and clean". For female leaders, it is simply "leader option". I'd agree that the footwear should fit the activity combined with the description above.

At my Councils two Reservations, open-toed shoes are an invitation for the Commissioners, Camp PD, Camp Director, or Reservation Director to ask you to ...

1) Return to your camp and get appropriately safe footwear.

2) If needed, leave the reservation and get...

I mainly wear field boots in the field; I may wear New Balance gray cross-trainers or Reebok white simple shoes when home. If the occasion justifies it, business shoes.

Why? Black absorbs heat... white reflects it. Less heat on my feet, in summer, is a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Technically speaking, footwear is not allowed while wearing the Scout uniform.

The uniform cannot be mixed with 'civilian' items, so unless you have some BSA produced footwear, it is taboo.

At our local camps they are very specific that open toed shoes are only allowed on the beaches or in the showers.

Linda J,

Sorry, I was making a tongue-in-cheek poke at those who get so wrapped up in the letter of the rules that they become oblivious to reality.

The rules say the uniform is not to be worn with 'civilian' items. For sticklers, this means that undershorts and shoes without the BSA logo must not be allowed.