Webelos uniform for the boy, pants and belt for me Guess the $$$$$

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to skip the 2010 Jamboree. In our council, we were required to have 3 shirts, 3 pair of shorts, 1 pair of pants, 2 web belts, 2 neckerchief slides and 6 pair of socks. Plus patches. Since my son and I both went, multiply by a factor of 2. The good news is that I will never ever have to buy anymore scout uniform pieces for myself for the rest of my life......unless they change the uniform.

Saturday I signed the same said boy up for recreational soccer at $120. This registers him and gets him a simple uniform. His coach will get small equipment bag. This will also provide the team with practice field time and one ref at the 12 saturday games.

Does x = y ?

Is scouting too expensive? Is it more expensive than comparative youth programs?

A rambling thought is that this Webelos uniform will be used over a 2 year period.

Cost of uniform

soccer 120/12=$10 per event

Cubscouts 107.3/104=$1.03 per event

Scouting uniform approx. 10X less expensive than the soccer uniform

# of recognition in a season

Soccer probably 1

Cub Scouts (minimum) 12

Just you wait! if you son son goes on to Boy Scouts! Not sure if you are the type that wants him to.

A summer sleeping bag 40 bucks, some type of mattress 25 bucks.

Next a winter bag 75 bucks, a better mattress for winter 75 bucks.

Boots for camping 55 bucks, Boots for camping in winter 100 bucks. Odds and ends lights, eating stuff 35 bucks.

Now high adventures start! A good backpack 135 bucks. A lightweight sleeping bag 75 bucks. Lets not forget all of the clothes he will need for camping either!

See the uniform is not that expensive is it?