Is the uniform a hinderance to retaining boys?

I spun this off the Adult uniforming question as our adults are having a running conversation in our Troop Committee meetings on the impact of wearing the full uniform (or any at all) on retaining/getting boys. Some of the MCs feel it is too much like the military, and others feel that a significant precentage of boys are turned off by wearing a uniform and leave scouting or don't join because of it. I myself don't agree with this, but I feel there is some merit. What do you out there think? Am I just setting myself up here?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. There are several threads about this very topic here--a search may be helpful to you.

When I first became a leader in Cubs, some of the boys and only one leader wore a uniform. I bought one, believing it to be the best way to set an example and having been encouraged by the person who trained me to do so. Interestingly enough, two things happened. Other leaders began showing up in new uniforms, and the boys all ended up in uniform. One was from a family that struggled, but help was provided in some way to provide a uniform because he wanted it. My experience was a positive one.

The troop we are now involved with has all boys coming in uniform, and they do encourage one another to wear the uniform. There is a uniform closet to help with cost issues, but I've noticed that--like our Cubs--when a need becomes known to the leadership, it is taken care of in some way.

While my Son and I were out selling Christmas Wreaths and Popcorn a pair of boys on bikes yelled out at us as they rode by. Their comment? "Cool!!!" Needless to say, my Son's chest stuck out even after that.

The uniform helps bring unity, an instant recognizable positive symbol of Scouting, and when worn with pride, it can have a cool factor.

Show me a Lad in Scouting who is having fun and is involved in a program that is both adventurous and challenging and I will bet my last cent that the uniform is in no way a hindrance.

Working with our youth leaders we need to make sure that each and every meeting is really the best show in town. When we do this sales of Scout uniforms will soar.

Eamonn

Adults should wear the uniform as an example to the youth. If the adults are not going to set the example then who will? If it isn't important for adults why should it be important for youth?

Adults should ask the youth to wear the uniform to appropriate events and functions. If you wonder why no one is in uniform it may be because no one asked them to be.

Most importanly the adults need to make certaint there is a good scouting program. If there is a good program then as Eamonn says, the uniform will be worn.

Put on a good program, set a good example, and encourage good uniforming. If that doesn't work then I don't know what to say.

As to the militaristic comments, I would suggest you ask your local council what a volunteer should do if they have ideas about improving the uniform. Then provide this information to those individuals and tell them that if they think they can do better they are welcome to submit a proposal through proper channels.

I should note that not only do the military have uniforms, but so do fire fighters, police officers, sherrifs, EMTs, rescue squad members, and a variety of others types of people that provide valuable services to the community. I wonder if they realise that when there is an emergency chances are the people who will respond are going to be in uniform? Would they turn away a fire truck driven by a person in uniform if their house was on fire? Would they turn away the ambulance driven by a person in uniform if they were having a heart attack? Would they turn away the help of trained and dedicated citizens helping to shore up the levie with sandbags during a flood just because they happen to be citizen-soldiers in a military uniform?

I can not help but have some serious doubts about any person that believes the BSA is too militaristic and wants to get rid of the uniform because of it.

It sounds like you have a committee of "tweakers". Whether or not BSA wears a uniform is totally and completely out of the hands of the local unit. I would guess the reason they're having a continuing discussion is because they think the unit has options to change it or eliminate it.

The committee is there to support the Scoutmaster in delivering the BSA program to boys. I'd suggest they read the Troop Committee Guidebook and when they are completely fulfilling all the committee functions, then they can spend the remaining valuable meeting time discussing whether or not the uniform is a good idea or whether BSA should ditch it.

I guess I have to differ with the prevailing wisdom here--I think the uniform (especially certain aspects of the current uniform) is a barrier for some boys. I agree that a quality program and encouragement can overcome that barrier, but my observation is that some boys see the uniform as a necessary evil to endure in order to get the other elements of the program.

Here's one thought: long-time Scouters and former Scouts love the uniform. But what do folks who are relatively new to Scouting think about it? What do parents and boys who came from families without a Scouting background think about it? Also, what do people in areas where Scouting is not all that strong think about it?

here i go stepping on toes again!

Speaking of the Boy Scouting program (not Cubs)...yes, the uniform is a problem...MANY boys would rather not 1-wear the whole uniform, 2-wear the green pants, 3-wear the neckerchief (both my guys hate the neckerchief) or 4-hate the hat....does it matter? probably not much...

Program, Program, Program, put a good one together, tell them what the requirements are, and most will, at least, grudgingly comply....some will even like it.

Militarist?..whats wrong with the military anyway? If you want mushie..join the glee club (sorry to all you singers...and before you scream, yes, I was a Scout and a chorus/glee club member).

As I tell any boy who will listen, the uniform has a place in their(our) organization, and just as in team sports... it is important for many different reasons.

Unlike others in this thread, I know there is a loss of a certain % of boys because of the uniform. I make a point of asking many boys as they start 'falling away' from scouting and the answer frequently is "my friends think scouting is '___' "(you fill in the term used here), or I don't want anyone to know I am a scout... This is a shared problem... BSA leaders, the parents, the society as a whole AND the BOY share equally in the existance of this problem.

In the end, NOT every boy is ready for the challenge of scouting...I hear it 'from district' over and over..."scouting is for every boy but not every boy is for scouting"...I wish there was a good way to overcome this issue...but all we can try to do is; keep on trying.

I agree, if you give them an exciting program, the uniform becomes second nature. A few years ago we were traveling from Texas back home to Illinois after a High Adventure trip with 6 high schoolers. All of us were in full uniform. Due to weather we had a long delay in the Houston Airport. Our boys were getting a little rambunctious until they were spotted by a group of Girl Scouts from Canada, also in full uniform. Needless to say, the delay was no longer a problem. In fact they were disappointed when our flight was called! They thanked me for having them wear their uniforms

Many cool actvities have goofy uniforms.

I cycle with my local bicycle club. Every Staurday we out there in our best spandex and wild colored shirts. Why? Part functionality but mostly association.

I used to horseback ride with a Fox hunting group. Yes the Taly-Ho people. Uniforms were applied there too. Pants, Shirt, Jacket and even buttons were dictated. These were more outdated as far as today's fashion but the clothes linked us to a centuries old tradition.

When I am in cycling cloths and with peers also uniform no propblem. Four or five together just as good. On a ride by myself when I stop in for a water at local 7-11 and my clip-on shoes go click-click, my pants look like I am wearing diaper and my shirt has some Italian Cement Company's name on it, people stare. Same thing when I rode horses and stopped with tall boots, and riding pants, (most of the time I left the whip in the truck) people would stare.

Maybe its harder for kids but uniforms are applied to most activities. Go to a skateboard park and see if they are dressed alike. My bet is they would look very similar.

end ramble

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

If the uniform is the hinderance to retaining boys, then shouldnt all the boys who leave Boy Scouts because of the uniform join a Venturing Crew, because as its been pointed out countless times Venturing Crews get to design/make up thier own uniform? Of those with Crew experience, what kills a Crew quicker, a lousy uniform or a boring program, if one at all?

I love the uniform! I think it's cool! I wear mine all the time! But the BSA doesn't require anyone who is registered as an adult or Scout to own one! So if a unit is requiring this then they are in direct violation of BSA policy!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10