Uniforms and Cub Scout Overnighters

Two weekends ago we went to Battleship Cove for an overnighter. The instruction to our pack was that all of the boys should be in uniform: while traveling, while on the ship and then next day while traveling home. Not very complicated or difficult, and with almost no exceptions our boys and leaders were properly uniformed.

I was astounded to see that our boys were the only cubs in uniform. We were 50 out of probably 450 CS on the ship that weekend. There were some other leaders in uniform but no cubs and there was a BS Troop who changed into their uniforms for dinner.

So whats with these people? Ive seen this before on CS overnighters. I just dont get it. The boys have uniforms to wear, not to hang in the closet.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you and your way of thinking.

While the BSA does not have a rule that states Scouts have to be in uniform while traveling. I do like to see a troop or pack in uniform.

Last year I was having lunch in a local fast food restaurant, there was a troop there. The little Lads looked tired and some still had not seemed to have been able to locate their combs.

I spoke to the Scoutmaster, who said they were returning from Gettysburg. Thats about a six hour drive from where we were at. These guys must have got a very early start.

As I returned to my table I overheard two little old Ladies remark how nice it was to see Boy Scouts and how cute some of them were, they went on to say how they never see any Boy Scouts any more. While this wasn't in the district that I serve it was in the Council.

When we think about marketing, we seem to forget that people do like to see the youth members and when they see a uniform they know what they are looking at.

Of course it might not always be viable to have Scouts travel in uniform. Our OA Lodge had 22 members travel to NOAC by van. The trip took 3 days, so they wore activity dress. On the way home they stopped at different places of interest and did change into full uniform.

It does seem a shame to spend all that money on a uniform and then not wear it.

Sad to say OJ, who does have several full uniforms, has taken to not wearing the shirt. He now carries it and puts it on when he "Has to." This is the kid that wants all the newest and latest patches on his uniform?? One day I will wake up and understand the the thinking of a 16 year old. When that times comes I will be a little old man saying to my pal that you never see Scouts any more as we munch on lunch in a fast food restaurant that is offering a discount for old people.

Eamonn

"So whats with these people? Ive seen this before on CS overnighters. I just dont get it. The boys have uniforms to wear, not to hang in the closet"

These are the same people who will also tell you that the uniform is too expensive. If they would only pull it out of the closet and wear it at every opportunity, the cost would even out!

Class A's are always in style!

CBW

"... I overheard two little old Ladies remark how nice it was to see Boy Scouts... "

And there is the reason we wear the uniform while traveling. The uniform helps present a positive image of Scouting to the public.

"Class A's are always in style!" Is that the old red beret?

I know that, but it makes a good answer when someone asks me if they should wear their uniform to an event.

Dress uniform - blue blazer, grey slacks or skirt

Field uniform - khaki or yellow blouse, olive or navy slacks or skirt

Activity uniform - Scouting t-shirt, olive or navy shorts

CBW

It sure is a training issue. Some leaders don't put enough effort into having a well dressed Troop/Pack.

When I was a cub we went to Battleship cove and I remember wearing either my blue shirt, or an activity shirt. I remember all of us cubs being in our blue shorts the whole weekend. The only thing that we could do different was wear navy hats, which all made us feel like we were sailors, adding to the fun of the trip.

I returned to Battleship cove last year with 2 fellow Eagle Scouts. We wanted to stroll down memory lane and reminise about when we were there as cubs. We had a great time, and there were kids running all over the ship on a big adventure as we one had done. Only until I saw the Cub master did I know they were cub scouts. None were in uniform, except the cubmaster who was in his tan shirt and jeans. I was slightly disappointed to not see any of the boys in unifrom, and especially the leader. I was happy though to see the kids having fun either way.

But it really does come down to the leader, the role model. If the leader was in full unifrom, I have a feeling so would his scouts...

I've never been to Battleship Cove, but we took our Webelos to stay aboard the USS Yorktown in late July of this year. The ship sits in Charleston Harbor, S.C.

Because we knew the average temp in S.C. for the time of year we had pack t-shirts made, of 100% cotton, just for the trip. And we still just about fried aboard ship. You could be standing or sitting still and sweat would just be rolling off your face.

We traveled and boarded in uniform, but spent all day Saturday in the comfort of the pack shirts. Must also say that the bright gold of the shirts made it easy to spot our guys. :)

The Yorktown in July? Are you insane? I've done two tours of duty on the Fighting Lady and my chiropractor has a new Lexus to prove it.

Keep in mind that while on board the boys were "in camp" and were okay to be in activity uniforms (although in a thread a few months back someone make the point that there is no such thing as a Cub Scout activity uniform.) On the other hand, I agree it would be nice to see the boys in full uniform. We tried to get our guys back in unform for dinner. Truthfully, we all know they're all wearing the same underwear all weekend, so it shouldn't make much difference that they wear their uniform the whole time.

No such thing as a Cub Scout activity uniform?

There are several t-shirts offered through National supply, as well as other t's, available through packs and Cub events to wear along with the shorts. That, at least in my mind, is a Cub Scout activity uniform.

How did someone make the point that there was none?

CBW

Yes, Twocubdad, we figured out the insanity of the Yorktown in July real fast. Actually, I fought hard to keep the pack from scheduling in August, and I was right. Two out of four weekends in August there were hurricanes sitting in Charleston Harbor.

If our group ever does it again, 6 or 7 years from now is the soonest any of us are willing to discuss, we're going to shoot for May, Oct. or Nov. Never, ever, July again.

I can see why they have a minimum age requirement, After our experience, I'd never dream of taking kids younger than Webelos age, it about did our boys in.

We have a grandmother who's raising two of our cubs and she landed in the hospital with her back due to the trip. I can see your chiro getting rich off of it.

There are a lot of good reasons to wear the uniform on activities such as this. First it's appropriate for the activity level. If we are traveling long distances and not straight to a campsite I find it easier to find the pack or troop members if they are uniformed. I also see how boys and adults in uniform behave better. And like others I have never had the scouts out in public and not have people say a lot of very nice things about them and the program.

As far as the uniform goes the posters are correct that there is no Cub Uniform EXCEPT for Tiger Cubs, for all other levels you are either in uniform or not in uniform (See page 12-11 of the Cub Scot Leader Book)

There is no Class A or B however the description given of the Fiekd and Activity uniforms was incomplete.

The Field Uniform should have included BSA tan shirt and BSA pants or shorts (BSA tan or yellow blouse, and BSA skirt, slacks, or shorts for the women), BSA belt, BSA socks.

The Activity Uniform is a Scouting Related T-shirt or polo, BSA pants or shorts, BSA belt, BSA socks.

The uniform is a controlled trademark of the BSA it is always good to see it worn correctly.

BW