Proper Patrol Emblems

I have come here seeking clarification on what is and is not considered a proper patrol emblem.

One boy in our troop has decided that military patches look "cool" and has convinced all the boys to adopt different military patches for their patrols.

He is the son of the committee chair and he and his wife (another committee member) see nothing wrong with this.

I have read that camo clothing is not allowed, nor are military medals. Doesn't this apply to military shoulder patches, too?

I don't want our boys showing up at district or council events with inappropriate patches.

I could really use some input.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago when I was in scouts, one of the moms in the patrol headed up the local school district ski school. They had a surplus of patches so our patrol became the Ski Patrol. We by using a seam ripper removed the ski schools name off the patch.

To use the military patch you have to remove any name on it, xxxx division etc. and then you still have to worry about copyright and any laws regarding the wearing of military patches by non-military. You have the same problem with use of trade marked designs such as Mario Patrol or Mutant Nija Turtles Patrol.

It is best to stay away.

A long time ago (back when the San Jose Sharks were a brand new NHL team) we had a new patrol forming in the troop. We had always taken the stand that if it was in the Catelog Scouts could use it. One young man saw that the Shark Patrol Emblem looked an awful lot like the the Shark's logo. They decided it would be cool. They then found a San Jose banner, took the hockey stick off of it, and had the best patrol flag I've ever seen. Was this classic copyright enfringment (sp?)? You bet it was. Do I think the offended would come after the BSA? I'm not so sure.

Anyway other than that one episode we keep the rule that if it's in the catelog you can use it, except for the blank emblem. This has worked for us.

I know of a local troop that uses military patches for patrol emblems.

I have no problem with the patches per se because I'm in favor of anything that helps build patrol spirit. However, most division patches are HUGE and look out of place on the tiny sleeve of a Boy Scout.

I like the idea actually. I'd want to be the Screaming Eagles with the 101st patch:)

I think those are pretty big though so it wouldnt work too well.

I've thought about getting a POW/MIA patch and put it on my BDUs that I wear when camping.

I have a "Scout" scroll already that I put onto a hat similar to the way the Rangers wear them. :)

Probaly shouldnt do it, but it works both ways; I'm a Scout, but not a Scout sniper which I believe is what the patch is actually for.

why not get permission from the military unit in question?

Write a letter to the Commanding Officer of the unit, tell them that you want to use their emblem as your patrol's. Throw in some mom and apple pie comments about the future of our country and how you support what the military is doing and hopefully we'll give you some good leaders.....

I'd bet that you would get a letter of permission, suitable for framing.

Then get the blank BSA patrol patch and get the unit's pin. Sew on the blank patch, pin on the pin and there you have it. (Maybe they will donate the pins) No problem with looking out of place because of the size of the patch.

Then send pix to the unit for their public relations.

"Not be be a wet blanket or anything, but . . . From the Insignia Guide: "Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, ..." "

Yeah, I wouldnt want to be one either;)

Anyway, they are wanting to use the patch, not the full uniform.

And, just saw this,... no sctleader, it's not. You can wear them, but you cannot try to represent one. There's a difference. Here's what I mean: Let's say, I wanna look cool. I'm gonna go with the Ranger tab, the Special Forces tab, all that good stuff. If I SAY I'm Ranger Qualed, or Special Forces Qualed, and keep telling people that, then I'm violating Federal Law. Thats impersination. (sp)

(This message has been edited by hops_scout)

OK, Hops, be cool if you wish, but here is the Federal Law: TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 45 > Sec. 771. Next Sec. 771. - Unauthorized wearing prohibited Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear - (1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or (2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps.

Which part of "wearing prohibited" is unclear to you?(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Sure...they are "except as otherwise provided by law." As is the Civil Air Patrol, USCG Auxiliary, Sea Scouts, Young Marines, Naval Sea Cadets, and maybe some others I can't remember right now. The "Screaming Eagle Patrol of Troop XXX" is not one of those authorized by Congress, to my knowledge.

From the first time a toddler picks up a stick and pretends it's a rifle, most boys are fascinated with things military. That doesn't diminish as they get older, it just morphs. Like it or not, many of the things we do in BSA are precursors to what they'd encounter in a military environment (uniform, leadership, self-reliance, altruism, fitness, patriotism, practical skills such as first aid/map reading/marksmansh

If we look at TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 45 > Sec. 772.

there's an exception for Boy Scouts.

The Boy Scout campaign hat is almost indistinguishable from both the Army campaign hat and the Marine Corps field hat. The Boy Scout "field hat" was remarkably similar to the Army's garrison cap. The Boy Scout beret was similar to the military beret.

The entire current uniform is similar to the Marine Corps' uniform.(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)