Purchasing of Rank Patches

I recently went and bought about a dozen rank patches without submitting an advancement report and no one said a word. Maybe it's because I'm a regular customer but I've never seen them quesition anyone about rank patches. No, that's not entirely true. I recall a Dad buying a bunch of Cub Scout stuff and the shop manager explained that rank badges were usually awarded by the pack. The dad replied that he was buying duplicates for new shirt.

I've wondered about this. I know that when I was helping to run the Cub pack, we had to submit advancement reports. But now that my son is in a troop, they always seem to have a stockpile of all rank patches (except Eagle of course.) If a Scout has passed a BOR during a troop meeting, he receives his patch during the closing of that same meeting. He does not get the card until the next COH.

So someone's getting the patches from somewhere...

It is a local policy. My council will not sell one without a report. Of course, we do have a chronic problem with units getting their paperwork in. One unit had held registration forms for 6 months and didn't turn them in until recharter time.

Our council Scout Shop requires the advancement reports for purchase of all Cub Scout rank badges and all Webelos activity badges. (The DE says that WABS do ot require an advancement form, since they don't get entered into any database by Council, but the Scout Shop still requires the form).

When I took over as Cubmaster, I inherited two boxes that contained enough rank badges, arrow points, WABs, and belt loops to get me through the next two years. My problem is the reverse. I hand in advancement reports, but buy no badges. This confuses the manager of the Scout Shop no end.

The former CM told me that forexampl,e, at a Pack Night, he would buy six Bear badges to award. Only four Bears would show up at the meeting. He tried to award at the next Pack meeting, or give to the den leader. But no matter what he did, he still seemed to end up with an extra badge.

Multiply that by a couple of years, and I have an

large inventory. Helps this year's budget.

Solves the duplicate badge for a second shirt issue.

And also covers for those "rare" occaions where the DL says four boys need to get an award, and at the PAck Night, there are five.

Plan B - I work in Manhattan. If I go to the GNYC Scouty Shop, they will sell me pretty much everthing (never thought to ask about Eagle) and don't want my advancement forms. (They also don't want Brooklyn's or Queen's advancement forms either, which is strange, but that is their rules).

Our council will sell ranks, knots, etc. without an advancement report, especially if they know the customer but sometimes asks for an advancement report.

At the troop level, I do not award the Scout his rank badge until I (or someone) has turned in his advancement report to the council. The keeping of a stockpile of rank advancement patches is wrong. A Scout should be recognized thrice. First, when he completes his rank requirements (usually immediately after a BOR and WITHOUT a patch), second immediately after his rank patch is obtained, and third at a formal COH.

" The keeping of a stockpile of rank advancement patches is wrong."

Why? The Scout Shop is at least a half hour away. If a Scout has a BoR and advances, I don't expect someone to drive a half hour there and a half hour back to get one patch. Not very practical.

"At the troop level, I do not award the Scout his rank badge until I (or someone) has turned in his advancement report to the council."

What if no one makes it to the council office for a month? Are you going to make him wait? The various books say that you should give the Scout his patch immediately.

(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

Stapler guy says:  The keeping of a stockpile of rank advancement patches is wrong.

Where do you get that?  I see nothing wrong with having a supply of rank patches.  If a Scout gets a new uniform, I'm happy to give him a new one.  Just like I keep a supply of troop numerals, council strips and other necessary items.

As for your recognition process, that's fine for you.  In our troop, we recognize the boy after he completes his BOR and present him his patch.  He is recognized a second time at the COH with his card and parent's pin. 

There's no right or wrong on this one, it's a presentation style choice.  Obviously, if your council doesn't sell rank patches without a advancement sheet, it limits your options.

Our Scout Shop doesn't restrict patch purchase but does control the flow of rank cards. Usually, you only get one for each andvancement that you submit with a report. However, if you are a known entity, you can get extras and replacements.

I gather from the posts that a scout should obtain a copy of the advancement report that shows his earning of the current rank and show that when purchasing an additional rank patch. This would mean that in late spring as many scouts are getting new shirts in order to have more than one shirt for summer camp the troop advancement chair would have to make copies of many reports for scouts to have as proof.

Is a scout's rank card acceptable as proof?

I usually shop at the council store near where I work. This is not the council where my son is a member. This store has always sold anything you put on the counter. I went there this week to get the patches needed for my son to update his second uniform shirt. I was told that as of this week the store is now following National's guidlines and only selling rank patches with an advancement report.

I understand the need to control of the distribution of these patches. I am not sure but I guess If I had shopped at our home council's store they could have verified the rank status in the council's records.

I would periodicly need new or extra rank badge while I was a youth. All I ever did was go to the nearest Scout shop (at the office of another council, as it happened to be), pick one up from the pile on the shelf, and pay for it. No one ever asked a question or made a comment about it. Even the Eagle badges were right there on the same shelf. I always wondered if they asked for some proof for those.

This seems like one of those rules that is more trouble than it is worth. This is in fact the first I had ever heard of it.

"Even the Eagle badges were right there on the same shelf. I always wondered if they asked for some proof for those."

Not long ago, I was at the Scout Shop and a man asked for an Eagle Medal to replace his that was lost. The clerk simply reached into a drawer, pulled one out and handed it to him. I later commented to the clerk that I had assumed that there would be some sort of procedures to be followed to get a replacement Eagle medal and the response was, "Nah."