Sign in to follow this  
Owl62

Neckerchiefs

How many of your units wear custom neckerchiefs?

Please describe your unit's custom neckerchief.

"I am somewhat curious about the troops who present a neckerchief to the Scout upon achieving First Class or some other milestone such as an overnighter."

The probably took their lead from those karate schools that make you "earn" your white belt.

I know of a woman who makes custom neckerchiefs. She mostly does embroidered eagle neckerchiefs, but did some troop neckerchiefs for my cousin. The boys look so good in their scout shirts with red neckerchiefs. Each neckerchief has their name embroidered on it and the troop number and year.

They are unified and proud of their uniforms. I think she only charged $5 for each neckerchief.

She doesn't have a website up and running yet, but her phone number is 801-809-9264

and her email is cstromberg1@hotmail.com. On the packaging it had her home address in Centerville, UT, but I probably shouldn't give that out on the Web.

Good Luck!!

On 2/29/2004 at 7:10 PM, eagle90 said:

Our troop does have a custom neckerchief. We had a contest among our scouts, parents, and siblings to design the Logo. The neckerchief is black with orange piping. The Logo is a campfire in red, yellow, orange and brown, with "90" in the flames of the campfire.

We insist on neckerchief wear at COH's and other formal activities, and summer camp. They are not usually worn at regular meetings, except by me. I love neckerchiefs and have a collection of over 200 of them!

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE??

Yes. I want to trade.

On 3/4/2004 at 8:58 PM, Fat Old Guy said:

Being a card carrying member of the Uniform Police, I am required to point out that making a neckerchief other than the official size is a big no-no. That said, I am a scofflaw and wear one that is huge.

I wear the old national-issue full-squares . The ones from the 1930’s are soft as silk, cool, and so comfortable round the neck. Needless to say, they can only be worn over a tucked-in collar.

On 2/29/2004 at 7:24 PM, Bob White said:

We use a stock neckerchief that is given the scouts when they reach First Class. It is worn for COHs and special events. The scouts choose to wear it under an open collar. Other times the scouts can wear any neckerchief of their choice, or none. They may wear any slide they wish with any neckerchief.

Bob

That’s a super idea. When I was a scout, we wore a variety of neckerchiefs - camp,event, award, national issue troop color, vintage full-squares of various colors to troop meetings I. My buddy, who took me to my first troop meeting wore a huge, white, rayon, TMR full-square that I wanted to wear so badly.

Posted (edited)

Wow, this thread is OLD - I was barely out of high school when this conversation began (it's funny to think that this site is old enough that I could have joined as a youth member had I been more internet savvy then!). Anyway, as long as it's been resuscitated ...

1) Yes, we have a troop neckerchief 2) It's the stock black neckerchief with silver trim 3) It's worn by all the boys under the collar, except for one boy who wears a vintage uniform and so prefers to wear his over the collar to better fit the era of his attire 4) The black and silver go with their patrol emblem, which is a silver knight, and their patrol flag, which is black and white and silver. These are the official colors of our troop 5) They always wear their neckers, even when only the activity uniform is worn (black t-shirt and Scout shorts/socks/belts) 6) All the youth members wear neckers, but none of the adults do except for me (though I am a unit commissioner, so I suppose I am outside the parameters of this survey - but I feel naked without a necker no matter my position!)

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Upvote 3