a sticky subject.....

Greetings all...

Got a cub scout shirt for a lad off ebay. Well, it came in with glue where the patches used to be. Her who must be obeyed wants to know how to get rid of the glue. Any suggestions other than wd-40? I believe WD-40 would leave a stain. Any help appreciated...

BD

Try lacquer thinner or methyl ethyl ketone. Test first on the shirttail. Or just leave the glue there. When sewed in place, the new patches should cover the glue spots, assuming the previous owner glued the patches in the correct locations.

Some glues disolve with paint thinner.

Others I've boiled and then scrubbed the softened glue off with a Scotch brite pad.

I think that gluing patches onto to uniforms should be a felony.

BTW, WD-40 doesn't usually stain clothing.(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

As for the glue-on laws:

There are those that wish to participate that have the desire but not the skills. The cut-off age should be around 12.

Those below the age limit should be commended for their initiative.

As Commissioner for a Cub Pack, I was invited to inspect the Troops one night. I showed up and sat in the front row with several Cubs. One Scout nervously asked me if I checked their ears. I said sure and your fingernails and hands. I noticed him closing his fingers into his fists. I felt humor and sadness grip my heart all at the same time.

FB

You could take it to a drycleaner. He has all sorts of secret methods for getting things out of clothes. Well, in the good old days of perclorethylene they could. Around here drycleaners have just about been regulated out of business.

MEK is absorbed right through the skin so don't get it all over you or you will get sick. I know of a laboratory employee who spilled some on his clothes and had to be rushed to the hospital. Since the OSHA people took the toluene out of spot removers like Energine it doesn't work nearly as well as it did.

But there are some very effective citrus-based products that work well and are not toxic... I like one called Goo Gone. You can get it at most drug or hardware stores. It is also better than spot removers for removing the gunk left by price tag stickers.

One of my parents asked me the same question last year. I contacted HeatBond, they are one of the companies that make the iron on bonding material. HeatBond told me to use MEK or Naphtha, both are common dry cleaning fluids, although MEK is becoming very hard to find. I think that your best bet is to take the shirt to the dry cleaner and let them try to get it off.

But dont give up on ebay because of this shirt! Its still a great place to get uniforms. I have two shirts, a pair of long pants and a pair of shorts that cost me a grand total of $44.00. They are all in terrific shape! Yesterday I bought a brand new Boy Scout shirt for $8.00, to put away for my son to use next year.

There is a commercial product called "goof off" that I have found useful for removing various substances from places where they don't belong or I don't want them. This would probably work for most glue residues as well and is probably much less hazardous to work with. I never tried it on a scout shirt before.

LOL Big Dog! One thing that makes a difference is the type of glue used, but unfortunately there's no way for you to know that unless the seller could tell you (have you asked?). I know of one Scout family who thought Super Glue would be easier to use, but when they removed the numbers (tan shirt for Webelos, then bridged to a troop with a different numbers--uh oh!), they were left with a hole :( A little fabric inside the sleeve with new numbers over the top worked, but if you're talking a Cub shirt, that could get tricky. Would you let us know what does work for you please?

FOG,

Up until a year or so ago, I would have disagreed with you. BadgeBond, sold at our Scout Shoppe, made placing patches on a uniform properly easy so that boys learning to sew could get it right. The only patches that ever seemed to need removed and replaced (at least in my family) werer rank badges, and the new one always covered the old.

Now that I have an 18 year old son, who no longer wears a rank badge, his glue stained shirt isn't wearable. I heard him using some very un-Scoutlike language down in the basement before the last Eagle COH when he couldn't make his shirt presentable.

As to Ebay, I'm sure the bargains are good. In my Troop, we have started a uniform bank were old, usually too small, uniforms are donated. Whenever a Scout needs a new uniform, if cost is a problem, he trades in.

We are fortunate to be somewhat affluent, so we get more uniforms donated than traded in. Our boys have just aksed us to find a way to share our bank with other Troops in the area. They were quite dismayed at how few other Troops even bothered with uniforms at Klondike.

Let me know what worked to get the glue out. My son would rather spend the $38.50 on pizza at college than a new Scout shirt, if he can.

Mark