one more about the red jacket..

This is a spin-off from another thread but I can't find it. I was reading somewhere that officially you can only put the patch on the front pocket...and the one centered on the back. Is this true? I have patches on mine that I inherited from my uncle, who wore it as an Explorer in the 50's. So I have patches dating for 56-03. It looks great and is a favorite in my collection. I wear it proudly. But can I?? Please let me know...

I probably still will wear it proudly whatever the answer..but im curious.

Yours in Scouting

VentureScoutNY

Thats kind of disapointing to hear. When I inherited the Jacket the back was covered neatly with vintage patches. So through my years in Scouting I added my own. It's too bad thats against the rules.

We all know those scouts that are wrapped up in patches and love them over everything...some times a little to much. ( For example years back a father asked where he could get one of those "sashes with the red arrow for his son" the OA Rep almost choked ) Well I was never all about my patches but I enjoyed collecting them for personal reasons. But if they cannot go on the Jacket where else to display them. The Vest isn't high in my style book..

I always figured when a scout is into something to let it grow. At least he isn't wearing a Jersey or a Sports coat with his Uniform. The Red Wool Jacket looks great and if he's got patches on it, against the rules or not, at least he's in the right direction dressing scoutlike. Wheh... Thoughts...

That's not exactly right but it is close. You will find the exact uniform guidelines for the Jac-shirt in the Insignia Guide 2003-2005.

There are I belive a total of 5 patch locations available on the Jac-shirt. Each location for a specific type of patch. There are more choices than have been mentioned so far.

But check the official resource.

It's not about money, it's about accuracy.

The BSA has a real problem with publishing on the internet. Even know much of the info on-line is not accurate. The cyber world is full of info that is outdated, altered, and corrupted (for lack of a better word). There really are only a few publications needed to have all the scout policies needed to operate a unit at your disposal.

Guide to Safe Scouting (free), Advancment Committee Policies and Procedures, Insignia Guide, the leaders manual for your program, the boy handbook for your rank or program, The troop Committee Guidebook for a troop, adult and youth apllications (free).

I encourage every unit to make the small investment and buy them(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Those pubs you list could all be put in .pdf format (not editable), on a single CD and reproduced locally for about 50 cents a copy, and mailed to each unit for another 50 cents. It's no more difficult to ensure you have the latest edition of an electronic version than it is hard copy.

That's true and national has started to do that with some materials. More and more all the time. Traing manuals and district and Council materials are a good example. Rountable Annual Planning Guides are now distributed trhough ScoutNet. More training programs are going on line interactively. Guide to safe Scouting has been on line for a couple years now.

I expect to see this trend continue. Slowly.

I would suggest the best way to prevent bad information from being circulated online would be to provide official electronic versions of the various publications on the various official national websites. Oh, and pdf can be edited if you have the full version of Acrobat. I would suggest that the manuals should remain available in hard copy, but should also be provided in a soft format.

• 1 year later...