Cub Scout awards on the Boy Scout uniform

This question is in reference to our Sr. Webelos who are crossing over this month.

Can the recruiter patch and the religious knot be worn on the Boy Scout uniform when earned as a Cub Scout? Are there any others?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, to the religious knot, "fine why not, no harm" to the recruiter strip, Council strip, American flag, yellow backed service star, World Crest, any temporary patch, no ranks except for Arrow of Light. I think that's all of them.

"Actually, for rank badges, if the boys have chosen to wear the oval Webelos badge they can wear that until they have earned their Scout badge."

Huh? Reference please? The AOL is the highest Cub Scouting award and as such it may be worn on the Boy Scout uniform.

The recruiter patches in our council are blue for Cubs and red for Scouts, so I would encourage a new boy to go recruite a new Scout and get the new patch rather than wear the old Cubs color... and it isn't that hard to find a friend to start Scouting with.

Rank insigna - The most current badge of rank is worn centered on the left pocket of the Boy Scout tan shirt above the AOL award.

The most current for a brand new Boy Scout would be his Webelos badge. He can leave his oval Webelos Rank badge on his tan shirt untill he replaces it with his Scout Rank badge.

Also don't forget Cub Scout service stars. These can be worn on the Boy Scout uniform too.

"The most current for a brand new Boy Scout would be his Webelos badge. He can leave his oval Webelos Rank badge on his tan shirt untill he replaces it with his Scout Rank badge."

Noooooo . . . . Webelos is a Cub Scout rank (or Webelos Scout Rank for those in the New World Order) and is not worn on the Boy Scout uniform. Cub Scout . . . Boy Scouts. You see, they are different programs.

BTW, his highest rank should be AOL at that point.

What is the definitive answer on the oval Webelos badge? I will have 5-6 scouts crossing over in a month, and would like to give a definitive answer to them. Personally, I was planning to take my son's Webelos rank off once he is awarded the AOL, but does he have to?

While it may be allowed, it cannot be because it is the new Boy Scout's most recent rank, however. Any 5th grader can cross over provided he has reached the age of 11; AOL only is required for those who are not yet 11. If he got no further than Bobcat, he could cross over. No way the Bobcat badge is going on the Boy Scout uniform.

AOL is most definitely a rank; most of the time, one refers to the Eagle Scout award, but Eagle is definitely a rank. I see no reason that AOL should be any different.

The Insignia Guide doesn't specifically forbid a Boy Scout from wearing the Webelos badge, but I would guess that in writing the guide, BSA never thought anybody would consider wearing Cub Scout rank insignia after leaving Cub Scouts. If it is OK for a Boy Scout to wear his old Webelos badge on his uniform, it would make sense too that a Boy Scout could wear his Bobcat badge. May as well wear his arrow points too.

I'm with 2cubs, they normally earn the AOL at the end of the Cub Scouting time. They cross over and should have their Scout rank almost immediately. As I see it, the only additional requirement is the parent's Youth Protection conversation, which we encourage them to do right away.

I would say no for this reason. TH\he AOL is the highest rank you can achieve in cub scouting and the BSA allows you to wear that on your BS uniform. Now in the past before the oval do you think that a kid would wear there webelos diamond badge? The answer is no so thats the way I would take as in no. BSA is stillusing the diamond badge becuase they still show it in the catalog. Thats my reasoning.