Calling All Uniform Police - Pant Question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BSA researched zip-offs for two years in cooperation with the US Army. Both determined that the pants were not functional under heavy use, plus, since the pieces were not worn and washed at the same time they faded at differing rates making the uniform unsightly. Both organizations decided not to introduce zip-offs as uniform options.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The touch, the feel of cotton, the fabric of our lives (yes, Madison Avenue does pollute our brains). Yes, FOG, cotton rocks!

I'll have to investigate the 100% cotton option. I'm happy with the BSA attire for the most part (my shirt collars "pill" up in a few months my biggest complaint) just as long as they don't come up with a BSA Speedo design I'll remain happy.

OK, got a question. I should know this, but I don't. Taught a SM Specific course last week, and, armed with all of the collective knowledge of this forum, announced to the class, that "BSA Policy is to wear the uniform completely and correctly, or not at all"..."but a uniform is not required to be a Scout."

So, the gentleman in the front row (there's always one in every crowd)asks, "WHere is that written?", so I showed him the Uniform Inspection Sheet. To which he replies, "I understand that defines what a complete uniform consists of, but where does it say that ONLY a complete uniform can be worn?"

From his own uniform, it was obvious that he was from one of those Troops which has declared that blue jeans are close enough.

Nowhere in the syllabus of the Scoutmaster/Assistant Scoutmaster Leader specific Training syllabus that I am aware of.

I cannot think of anywhere in any "Boy Scout" resouce either.

I only know of that in the Cub Scout program resources. You will find that instruction in at least two places in the Cub Scout Leaders Handbook.

Why in one and not the other? Different programs, diferent scouting divisions, different authors.

Tip to trainers; give resource references when you answer questions and stick to the syllabus as closely as possible.

And the answer is -

The uniform consists of shirt, pants, socks, etc. A shirt is not a uniform, a belt is not a uniform, and official BSA skivvies is not a uniform. To be able to say "I'm in uniform" means to wear all the parts and insignia correctly. You may wear a uniform shirt, but that is not a uniform. And as leaders, we are not utilizing one of the eight methods of scouting if we do not wear the uniform.

(Sorry, I can't tell you where to find the BSA policy you quoted at your training.)