As somewhat of a child of the 60's, I come from an era when flying the American flag was taken to mean you were some kind of Neo-Fasicst far to the right of Attila the Hun fanatic so when I see American flags flown today, I cant beleive how far we have come.

I also cringe when I see a cloth flag flown from a stick on a car that is 2/3's its original size and so worn its colors are more pastel than original.

I appreciate the gestures people make with the flag, but I do wish they would follow the proper procedures when displaying it.

So, the quandry is should I enjoy the flags I see, or insist they be displayed right, I think I will just enjoy them. If the current tradition of displaying the flag continues, I will start talking flag code after awhile, like 5-7 years after from now

I am much less concerned with origin of a flag than I am about how it is displayed and/or worn.

My Scouts have made flags at our meetings. Do they "meet specs"? Not even close.

Does it bother me? Nope. Its all about learning what a flag means. All flags! Even one a Scout might make at home.

I do, however, have very special concerns about our Flag.

Home of the FREE!

Because of the BRAVE!

God Bless America!

Have FUN out there,

Roy Kaufmann

"OK. I stand (actually sitting) corrected. So since it is a law, what is the recourse if the law is violated?"

The Supreme Court knocked down the penalties for violating the Flag Code when they decided that burning the flag was protected by the 1st Amendment. That must have made Merlyn dance with glee.

"What if they offered you a 3'x5.7' flag to replace it?"

I'd thank them for the offer and ask that they give it to someone who does not have a flag flying in their yard. I have one already and like it just fine. It is fed, watered and cared for properly each day. It comes down in inclimate weather and even has it's own light sensored floodlight to illuminate it nightly.

Why did I get 3 security alerts when I went to that link FOG?

A little more info on fringe.

Records indicate that fringe was first used on the flag as early as 1835. It was not until 1895 it was officially added to the National flag for all regiments of the Army. For civilian use, fringe is not required as an integral part of the flag, nor can its use be said to constitute an unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statute. It is considered that fringe is used as an honorable enrichment only.

Info from http://www.legion.org/our_flag/of_flag_code.htm