Spats are supposed to keep junk, dirt, snow, woodticks, and even according to the pre WW2 US army doctrine, water out of the boots and pants, and to keep the footware dry from dews and damps. Spats are gaiters, just older looking ones. The army surplus store by me has some in my size I was looking at because I hate messing up the cuffs and calves of my scout uniform pants in muddy terrain.

Hey, if you want to change your shoe color as a joke, get the cheapest pair of shoes that you can find and a few bottles of poster paint and repaint them every evening. They would be a flat color, but you could pick from many many diferent colors. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

To truly make an impression as well as aiming high for a personal experience I would suggest low rise scout socks with sandals.

My kid brother actually came to work yesterday with blue socks and flip flops, so I am guessing we could all be at the forefront of a new fashion statement

do you think I could find sock garters to match my scout socks? What supply number would that be?

I have earlier confessed a complete lack of fashion consciousness. Clearly I am in good company. If they say, "not white, please", doesn't that mean you CAN wear white if you want to? I suspect it reflects a practical problem of keeping them clean. Or I could be wrong. And.. I gather from the discussion that people laugh at me in my corduroys behind my back. Oh well, at least it's not open ridicule. Voomp, Vooomp, kinda like a hand saw. Great for hiking, scares bears away.