Attention Uniform Police: Where does the district patch go on shirt?

Agree with your sentiments, Eisely. But the fact remains that the only things authorized for the MB sash are merit badges, period. If the patch is too large to be worn on the right pocket, it needs to go somewhere else, like a blanket, non-uniform jacket, pack, etc...but not on the uniform.

Officer TCD here, reporting that Varisty Scouts may wear the Varsity "V" on the bottom left of their merit badge sash.

I also remember that it used to be allowed to wear up to three temporary patches on the BACK of the merit badge sash. I can't find that in the current Insignia Guide, so I don't know if that is still legal or not.

Oh by the way, the IG also says that temporary patches worn on the right pocket should not overhang the pocket. The last district activity patch I received is roughly the size of a dinner plate.

Franticly searching... for a quote to the effect that "a leader is never out of uniform whn he wears the insignia of National, council and district and unit. One need not display every achievement and honor accorded."

I've noted before that I like to display NEW badges and frequently recycle them in order to pique interest.

Questions for the ages (sages?)

Is it still possible to purchase a OA lodge (pocket flap) patch that doesn't overhang the flap?

What are the limits on neckerchief design / ornamentation

To which Supreme court are the Uniform Police accountable?

Or more correctly who approves temporary patches for use?

Bob -- I not sure what that quote is from, and I'm not really sure what it means, except for the last line. There is a paragraph in the Insignia Guide dealing with "excess insignia" which says that only uniforms should be kept neat and uncluttered and that only insignia designating one's current status should be worn.

I agree with you completely that one purpose of wearing all the regalia is to pique the interest of the boys. I love to have kids come up and ask me what all the stars, knots and patches are for. Particularly with my cubs, it gives me a chance to "sell" some of the aspects of Boy Scouting they may not yet know about, like Philmont, jamborees and OA.

As to your questions, I believe most OA flaps are produced by the individual lodges, so if there is some variation in the size of the flap, that's probably between the lodge and the manufacturer. I don't know if there is an absolute size specification for flaps. I would guess that each manufacturer has it's own template.

According to the book, local councils may adopt special badges and insignia, but the purpose and design must be approved by National in advance. Although the IG doesn't say this, I think as a practical matter, the local Scout Executive is authorized to approve most local temporary badges.

I don't know of any special requirements for neckerchiefs, but I'd say they fall under the same guidelines.

And as to the accountability of the Uniform cops, I'd say they are beholden only to the Insignia Guide and peer review by other members of the fraternity.

(Break out the shovels boys, it's getting deep in here. :))

"One need not display every achievement and honor accorded."

I believe the quote is from B-P himself, referring to Scoutmasters, and I think the rest of it is "lest one appear like a Christmas Tree."

I will look for it ...

In my girl scout days, it was common to see girls in windbreaker or denim jackets covered in activity patches (not badges - those were on a vest or sash) Though I can't fit in it anymore - I still have mine, covered neck to hem and all around the sleeves in patches from 15 years of girl scouting. In addition to the badges and awards I earned and wore on my uniform, these colorful soveniers attracted many younger girls and sprouted many disccusions in all the adventures scouting offers to kids.

In our area - CUBS wear the red vest - BOY SCOUTS would not be caught in one - it's considered childish. Yet our boys are proud of the patches they have earned and collected from camp, conservation projects, polar bear awards and attending JLT, etc. Some have a blanket - but that's impractical to take camping, and if kept at home, nobody sees it. The red Jac shirts are nice - but awfully expensive for a growing boy. (I went thru a number of windbreakers as a kid) Why doesn't BSA authorise a official "patch jacket" or method of displaying patches?

i have a nice stack of patches for my son - an no good way for him to display them!

As for the uniform - Keeping it simple has alot of practicality - keeping stuff on the badge sash is nice - because if you are doing clean up or at camp, you can remove the sash and "protect" the badges. I wish they would put more of the insignia ON THE SASH and leave it off the uniform! Girl Scouts did this in my day - most of our awards were on the sash or the later vests. This means the uniform can be washed without wear on the patches or having to remove and replace pins. It also meant that you could have more than one uniform, if needed, and not have to duplicate all the awards! Also, sewing awards on a flat sash is ALOT easier than sewing them on a sleeve or pocket. (How many of your boys have their pockets sewn shut by their rank badges? Alot of ours do!)

Officer SL here.

The red jac-shirt is an official piece of the uniform, and patch placement on it is governed by the Insignia guide. To my recollection, the only things authorized are the universal BSA patch that comes with it on the left pocket, the Philmont Bull (which is where the jacket originated) and a SINGLE back patch, such as the OA patch. I see many scouts, as well as scouters with their jac-shirt filled with patches, but this is unauthorized. Some on this forum have said that activity patches may be worn on the MB sash, but I think that is in error.

When in doubt check the official resource The curent Uniform Guide. I believe you will find that there are only 4 possibly 5 specific patches that go on the red Jac shirt and there specific location for display. Read further and you will find that yes indeed a scout can display activity badges on the back of the Merit Badge sash.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)