Shoulder loops, Venturing, and other BSA idiocies

Is there really a purpose served by responding tit for tat to rude comments? Theres no need to lower oneself to the level of a rude or insulting person.

Yaworski has raised some interesting points in various discussions on these boards. Though his style may be somewhat abrasive, and his frustration has boiled over here, that does not invalidate the points that have been raised.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Think about this baby-boy, by taking your shots at me, you are showing that you and I are the same."

I'm terribly sorry, and apologize to all. The comment I made was in anger, and the tone and wording reflect that.

I have dealt with mediocrity all my life, mediocre school officials, mediocre scouters, and mediocre people. I'm sorry that I lowered myself to their level, as I know the only way to combat such mediocrity is to rise above it in words and actions.

Yaworski,

I don't feel that attacking me was constructive or helped your arguments, and I'm not snot-nosed, I use Kleenex. I'm younger than you are, certainly, but that shouldn't invalidate any points that I make.

I will ask that my trespasses be forgiven, as I forgive those that trespass against me

(This message has been edited by Venturer2002)

I don't ever remember getting into a hissy with anyone while on a camping trip, sitting by a campfire. It would be nice to be there right now, wouldn't it? Maybe it's time to bury the hatchett.

I remember my old uniform had those little pants pocket flap that buttoned up or down. The piping around them were red and also the embroidery on the shirt, but the garter tassels were green. I agree with Bob White about the colors. Once they dropped the green tassel, red was the only contrasting color. I did like those no collar shirts though. The neckerchief was more comfortable and looked better. I still feel like tucking my collar in sometimes.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All:

From the limited informal research i've conducted, the original uniform from 1911 had woven band of cloth around the wrist to represent service time. The color was green for one year of service. I *think* that for three years, the Scout would wear a red band. (Most likely reflective of the Army's use of cuff cheverons for service time.)

I'm not sure when the stars were introduced, but they did not have numerals. They were worn with a felt backing. The backing color represented the years' of service. Green for one year, red for three (or five?) years. The system worked well for youth, but for adult Scouters in for 25 years, it got to be rather cumbersome wearing a row of 8 or 10 stars.

The loops worn on the Venturing shirt can be spruce, silver, or gold. Venturers are not requered to wear the Official polyester shirt from BSA supply. They are encouraged, but not required.

Hey, there's a dichotomy; in the siver over gold vein, Council Scouters wear silver, while national and employees wear gold loops. Does that make the local Scouters 'higher' on the totem-pole than the paid folks? 8)

Keep on Venturin' & Keep on Scoutin' ora

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Good questions. Now I got one. My wife I sit on several district committees and were presented with the blue district committee members patches and given silver shoulder loops. We were told that when we wear the district patch and silver loops, we can not wear unit numbers. Although I have seen SM's and ASM's who sit on district committees wear the silver loops with their unit uniform without the district patches. What is the correct way?

ASM1

Hi ASM1 & et.al.:

In a perfect world, the Scoutmaster should obtain a second uniform for the District-level position. Not all of us have the resources that Bill Gates has and it is difficult to obtain and maintain seperate uniforms for the seperate functions that a Scouter may perform. So, they switch loops to to the tasks for District/Council level activities. To be "in correct uniform," they should wear the red loops of their Unit position with the troop numerals, *even though* they are doing a district level function. That would be the most economical way to go. Of course, the silver loops also show others that this person is a point of contact for valuable information.

When someone corrects me for being out of uniform, I smile and say "You are absolutely correct." Then I walk away. Until they are willing to buy my uniforms, (I currently have five) that is all I will put up with. Uncle Sugar used to buy me uniforms, and I was very happy to wear them the way that was described. Even then, there were many who had tailored or custom items, as well as distinctive unit insignia and awards.

I feel that if someone is doing a volunteer job, s/he can wear any thing they want. I think that we should focus on program, and not clothing.

But that's just me.

Keep on Scoutin' ora

WOW! Good questions. Now I got one. My wife I sit on several district committees and were presented with the blue district committee members patches and given silver shoulder loops. We were told that when we wear the district patch and silver loops, we can not wear unit numbers. Although I have seen SM's and ASM's who sit on district committees wear the silver loops with their unit uniform without the district patches. What is the correct way?

If you think about it, when you are working at the district level, you are not representing a unit so why would you wear a unit number with your District patch? However, as was pointed out, not everyone has the deep pockets to buy a half dozen uniforms or can justify it to their wife even though she may have 10 pairs of seemingly identical shoes.

I've seen people use velcro to attach patches so they can switch them at will. There are other methods that work as well.