Uniform and Insurance

It happened again yesterday. Another member of our district committee stated that neither our unit insurance through Mutual of Omaha, nor the Council insurance would be in effect unless we wear the uniform while traveling on a tour permit. In other words, if an accident were to occur, we would be uninsured unless we were wearing the uniform. I dont see what the uniform has to do with insurance. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

FScouter,

Although many troops have a policy within their unit that says boys travel in uniform, there is no such requirement placed on the unit by Mutual of Omaha or by the BSA in the Local or National Tour permit regulations.

Bob

Another scout myth shot down!?

Are you absolutely sure about this Bob?

I have heard this so many times, even at scoutmaster fundamentals!

I could not find any reference to this in the Scoutmaster Handbook.

The place to look is in the fine print of the tour permits. That is where all the required rules are . Uniform wear during travel is not there. I do however support the practice of puttin the uniform on when you leave the vehicle. It is easier to keep an eye on the boy's locations and as we all know the boys behave sharper when they look like scouts.

Bob

The Mutual of Omaha insurance protects: 1}all Scouts in the unit, 2) all the leaders, 3) any potential Scouts attending the event; providing that the event is a) approved by the Troop Committee, b) covered by a Tour Permit, c) the event is operated in compliance with BSA rules and policies, d) and the Youth Protection guidlines and policies in the Guide to Safe Scouting are adhered to. The BSA's liability insurance for each registered adult follows the same guidelines for coverage.

No where in any of these conditions is a Scout uniform required. While it is a great thing to have the Scouts and Scouters in uniform while the Troop travels, it is not a official requirement for insurance coverage.

We always travel in uniform to and from outings, not for insurance reasons but just because we are scouts.

It also has some other advantages. last summer we were en route home from a whitewater rafting trip and stopped at a Days Inn in Dayton Ohio after touring the US Air Force Museum (a great trip, if you are in the area). Upon our checkin, the Hindu gentleman behind the desk made a comment that we are scouts and in uniform, and gave us a 15% discount on our rooms. That was quite a savings on 5 rooms! We thanked him profusely and also sent a letter of thanks to his home office.