Motivating scouts to wear full uniforms

I agree that adults setting the example of a full uniform is very important. I live in a fairly affluent community where the costs of the uniform are less of an issue. There are many families in other parts of the country where scouting is a major expense, with low to middle incomes, multiple sons in scouting at the same time, equipment costs, outing costs, dues, and uniforms for the boys. I would not judge such a person on the lack of a uniform. I have seen some CC and COR who have uniforms, but few leaders other than the SM and the ASM are expected to have uniforms most places. We are too short on good volunteers to make uniforms a sticking point for committee positions.

• 1 month later...

First, I'm really enjoy the exchange of ideas. A few observations. We have a good core of four mother's who have recently crossed over to the troop, they had decided to wear the red activities shirt as their uniform when their son's were cubs and continue to do som. As several other posts noted expense is an issue for some I'm sure, but from where I sit they wear "their uniform" diligently with pride. At this point I'm not sure how many of the boys would expect these women to wear khaki.

Second, I was offended at a recent training opportunity for leaders in camp when one of the staff repeatedly mentioned that "their leaders always wear full uniform." The four units that I have been associated with have never worn the full uniform in camp ( exceept for flag ceremonies or religious services.) This is very common in several districts in our council and certainly at camporees' or resident sumer camp.

I guess I just want to remind all to "Do you best," to take pride in the program, to adhere to our nat'l policies, and to remember the oath and law even when dealing w/ leaders and uniforms.

• 2 years later...

Uniform cost: I own two SM uniforms, one UC uniform, three SA uniforms (for Jambo). Is it expensive, not really. If I came to a Scouting event sans a uniform, I would not be attending in my birthday suit. I would have to be wearing something. That "something" costs money too. Don't look at wearing the uniform as an addtional cost, look at it as saving wear and tear on your other clothes.

Now for a growing boy, such as my two, they don't own as many uniforms but again, they outgrow, not outwear most of the clothes they own.

BW, great ideas on getting the boys and committee to wear the uniform.

• 9 months later...

So there I was, reading what I thought was a new thread until I got to the mostly-pleasant exchange between BobWhite and Ed, which caused me to glance at the dates on the posts. Is this a new "moderator thing," bumping three-year-old threads up to the top? (I realize Acco's post was a lot more recent but it is still an old thread.) I'm not criticizing, it seems like a good idea for threads that are deemed to be of continuing value. I do find some aspects of the statements in this thread to be somewhat ironic, but other than what I have already said, it's probably better if I keep the explanation of that to myself.

It seems the cost of the uniform always comes up. While $100 seems like a lot of money to pay for a uniform, I say uniforms for any organization are simliar in price.

My son is involved in soccer. He plays on at least two teams but has played on three teams concurrently. Each team requires a different uniform. 2 Shirts, Shorts, and socks. Of course he has needs two shirts, one light and one dark. At least two pairs of socks for tournament weekends. A complete set of uniforms for one team is between $90 and $120. I did not include cleats or shin guards because I consider them equipment like a backpack or sleeping bag. But they are both required to play. Shin guards are only about $20 but cleats run from $50 to $200.

Parents of sports teams don't constantly whine about the cost of uniforms. They find the money so that their son can play the sport. It is a requirement to play. Without the uniform, they are not allowed on the field.

A scout uniform shows that you are a member of a team. It also shows your accomplishments and roles you play on that team. While I agree that cut of the pants is not to my liking, it is the designated uniform. I wear my uniform, including the pants and socks at every scout event. I make sure it is clean and pressed before I leave the house. My boys were not wearing their neckerchiefs so I started wearing one. I began carving neckerchief slides and wearing a different one each time. Lead by example and quit whining about cost.

The history in our pack and troop is that we concentrated on the uniform shirt and neckerchief, the rest of the uniform being more or less optional. (It was basically just mandated as "neat and clean clothes").

I decided to go about figuring out a way to quietly increase uniform usage, because basically, teenagers will usually rebel against mandates. The trick to making it a positive experience is to make them think it's their idea :). We do regular uniform inspections, but the inspections were based on the troop's own uniform standard. I decided to start using the BSA uniform inspection form. (We give away some little prizes occasionally to those getting the most uniform points, and I'm adding the patrol total to that competition as well). So, those who start coming in a more complete uniform have an incentive to do so, and by also starting the track the patrol points, there's some peer incentives as well. We just started doing this recently, so it's too soon to see if it will help or not, but I think it might just be a good approach that will get a positive response.