Update list of MB categories since 1999 publication

*laughing at the word 'Dude' that Basement Dweller used.

Basement...

Do you have any registered merit badge counselors within your unit?? *Asks sweetly while batting eyelashes

*sighs.. I don't have ONE.

Second can't I use this info for an interest survey in my Troop or for the Merit Badge Academy I hosting that you're dead set against?.. *impish grin while pretending innocence

In your little tiny troop of 5 boys, why in the world do you need a merit badge councilor. I believe your wasting your energy.....

I think you have more important things to worry about....such as finding a feeder pack, recruiting new Boy Scouts, More adult leadership.......

You appear misguided to me....have you taken training???? IOLS SM and ASM courses?????

so is your son a star or life scout??????

Asking for my training records? Not a problem... *smiles while pulling them right out of Scouting.org

Here ya go Basement.. *grins

Scoutmaster training was the FIRST thing I signed up for when I came on board. Second thing was updating previous trainings like YPT and TD. Took TD to learn what this EDGE concept everyone was talking about. Next is IOLS in May.

A01 New Leader Essentials 10/15/2005

A90 Wood Badge 03/23/2008

C32 BALOO (Basic Adult Ldr Outdoor Orie 05/13/2006

C33 Outdoor Ldr Skills for Webelos Ldrs 05/14/2005

C42 C. S. Den Ldr.&Asst. Pos. Spec. Tng 03/18/2006

C61 Webelos Ldr.&Asst. Pos. Spec Tng. 03/18/2006

C73 WEB Tiger Cub Den Leader Fast Start 06/02/2006

D62 Chartered Org. Rep. Fast Start 10/25/2011

D62 Chartered Organization Representative Fast Start 10/25/2011

D69 Trainer Development Conference 03/04/2006

H96 Trainer's Edge 11/14/2011

S11 Intro to Outdoor Leadership Skills 05/18/2003

S24 Scoutmaster Specific Training 10/29/2011

SA Safety Afloat 04/03/2012

SA Safety Afloat 05/11/2005

SSD Safe Swim Defense 04/03/2012

SSD Safe Swim Defense 05/11/2005

WA01 This is Scouting 10/30/2011

WCF7 ScoutParents Unit Coord Fast Start 11/23/2011

WCF7 ScoutParents Unit Coordinator Fast Start 11/23/2011

WD77 Staffing the District Committee 11/23/2011

WDUC Unit Commissioner Fast Start 10/30/2011

WS10 Troop Committee Challenge 10/30/2011

WS10 WEB Troop Committee Challenge 10/30/2011

WS76 Trek Safely 04/03/2012

WS76 WEB Trek Safely 04/03/2012

WS81 Weather Hazards 04/03/2012

WSFS Fast Start: Boy Scouting 10/04/2011

WSFS WEB Boy Scout Leader Fast Start 10/04/2011

Y01 Youth Protection Training 10/04/2011

Y01 Youth Protection Training 08/27/2006

Now are you gonna ask me about my Troop leadership and committee members training? I can tell you straight out that I PUSHED training when I came on board. I was stunned to find out that none had Troop Committee Training. Went from 0% to 90%. My Committee Chair is the LAST one...*sighs when thinking about how he 'leads' committee meetings.

I'll be nice about my leadership and refrain from comment here deeply but picture isn't so great there either. Maybe you have an idea of how to encourage an OA, AoL, Eagle, ADC chair, Spaghetti Dinner Chair, W2DL(that goodness the role is done), CS camping Chair, etc., etc., etc., AND etc. who is my ASM who SWEARS he will NEVER do WB ummm...encourage him on updating his SM/ASM and IOLS training??? *ever hopefully

But there is again yet another thing I can't fall back on. I'm now realizing with all the great new adventures we had because of my son's Troop, they were NEVER boy-led either. Doesn't help me with this Troop. (This Troop is not my son's Troop.) This Troop don't want to fold nor move to another Troop because they have been around since 1938. I will not get into it on the forums but there are SEVERAL factors that cause this Troop to fold in within a 2 year span. I've been back to my son's Troop for observation and talked quite a bit with the new SM as they are now boy-led.

Boy-led is MY goal but don't expect it to happen over night as I've already quickly learned that. There is a whole lot more to SM than I ever knew or dreamed of. Doesn't help when my committee expects me to be CC too... *sighs

You can razz me and put down on the boards all ya want but I have to question.. isn't a Scouter helpful, courteous, kind and friendly? There is a term Cyber Bully for a reason!

I wouldn't be here if I didn't need help. There has been a wealth of knowledge here and what you don't see is me reading other boards.

Oh by the way...I'm PROUD to say my son is Eagle earned on HIS OWN merits!.. *smiles

Hello Deaf Scouter,

The one you reference is the 2001 printing online.

Have you asked your District Advancement Chair or the Council Advancement Chair? They are responsible for providing MBC list to Troops and Districts (they also approve ALL MBCs).

The list of available Merit Badges is found here:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/mblibrary.aspx

My $0.02

Rick

p.s. Thanks for reminding me, I have a MBC class comming and needed a new listing.

Rick(This message has been edited by ghermanno)

Scout Nut and Rick... *smiles

Thanks for the humor in the insights... *laughing

I've seen both those links... *smiles

I originally pulled Worksheet to help organize our MB library and realized the news ones were missing. Wanted someone else to file them into a category. I like the scouts to have the category theme list in their notebooks so if they have started partials and didn't like it they can see a pattern for themselves if its in two or three in the same category.

Now that I'm doing MB Academy, I really would like to be able to offer MBs is all the themes.

I'm also realizing mindframes and how mine came to be pre-set. As a parent of a Scout the MB section was confusing while the rank was as clear as a bell. I'm very much a visual person. Having just the words 'required' and blank spaces for MB on the chart and in the handbook was not helpful. I finally wrote the names out in list style and highlighted which ones we had done while putting the 'smile' face sticker on the MB poster chart. A parent does help their son but only if they understand themselves.

In the Scout's notebook, they have that same guide list with the online link to Scouting.org requirements and MeritBadge.org worksheets with the Troop rules of MBC. (We had 'family' MBC signing off on MBs when actually work was not being done and they were getting recorded elsewhere. I put a STOP to that.) When I first started as a SM of this Troop, I got told a lot, I have partials yet no proof. I spent 4 months tracking down these partials. What a headache and wasted energy IMHO and I can see why it because the first priority in hindsight.

They also have baseball card sleeve and its explained that both the Blue card and awarded card go in the same slot with the attached patch until the sash is bought. The those patches go onto the sash. I know from experience that my son's patches went misplaced and I see it with several of my parents. YES I'm organizing my parents but don't ya think I'm making the parents experience more enjoyable thus that rubs off on the scout..*winka

After all this discussion I'm adding themes picture pages of all the MB with a one page list of just names. There are tabs for other awards that scouts can earn with their requirements, Troop calendar, flyer section, and TroopMaster reports. Scout is required to add a pen and paper and their Scout handbook to it so they can practice 'Be Prepared'.

More and more I'm liking this idea of turning the MB over totally to the Scout and letting the parent involvement be at that end. I'll just help in getting NEW stuff introducing and connect it back to an MB. Let's go back to stressing Prepared for Life and have some FUN ADVENTURE in the process.. *grins

Now I have a question on Blue Cards with partials? Who keeps them? Some of these are 3 to 4 years old for stuff like Basketry that gets FINISHED in Summer Camp. TM is supposed to record paritals but most times it does not. I now understand its because SM just approved the MBC and the initiative to start a particular MB. We have an online MBC. Not sure yet if the youth Leaders can access it or not. If not, another thing that librarian does. Can we let the Scout keep them but some how many it so them can't add signatures? Thoughts, suggestions and/or considerations for this newbie SM?

Partials are the responsibility of the scout.....

So I am a cyber bully cause I ask questions?????? Nope, we have all kinds asking questions here from parents and kids trying to work the system, to 40 year olds trying to get their eagle. Ya need to know who your talking to in order to frame an appropriate answer.....

You are certainly trained.....

So your an adult who stepped into save a troop....hats off to you. and you were primarily involved on the district level, now having to step back to the unit level. I get it now.

"More and more I'm liking this idea of turning the MB over totally to the Scout and letting the parent involvement be at that end."

Uhm, isn't that how it's supposed to work? Nothing radical about that.

I'm not at all sure what you mean about the MB system being unclear. It's pretty simple to anyone who's read the BSH. No need for worksheets and theme lists and anything else. What strikes your son's fancy? Let him explore it. On his own.

Short.. I see you practiced the 'skim method' instead of the 'reading method' on the forums. We're talking two different Troops: My son's Troop and this Troop.

Short... hmmmm? Required merit badges are listed in the BSH (Boy Scout Handbook) PLEASE, PLEASE tell me the page number for the 2009 BSH copy that lists the 15 required MB BY NAME of which the scout chooses 12???????

Do you suggest 2 books to buy for the new Scout: BSH & BSR or just one, the BSH?... *asks sweetly and innocently while thinking MUST have the 1990 version

Hopefully my questions above posed the answer as to why as a Scout parent during my son's Trail to Eagle I was confused on Merit Badges? That experience has stuck with me and I created a guide that list where to find the MB info: meritbadge.org and scouting.org for a list of the names of the required ones since it is no longer in the BSH. Experienced Scouters know the Boy Scout Requirements book (BSR) has that answer and it changes every 2 years. Experienced Scouters don't suggest to crossover parents to buy the 2011 BSR version because there will be a NEW book in 4 to 6 years WHEN their scout actually USES it.

BasementDweller: Wondering what is your training?? You made an assumption that I was District. A 'true' District Scouter would not make the assumption mistake you did... *smiles sweetly while batting innocent eyelashes

DeafScouter,

I'm speaking generally of a parent's role in the Scouting journey. Scouts should be in charge, not their parents. Wasn't talking about your son in particular.

None of the issues you've raised are as insurmountable as you seem to think. The Scout has only to ask his PL, who if confused can ask the SPL, who in turn can ask the SM, who can flip open a copy of the Requirements book and answer the question. Or the Scout can go to the Librarian and check out the book for himself. Your discussion of theme pages, notebooks, tabs and folder pockets, frankly, sounds far more complicated than it needs to be.

If you don't mind me asking, did you consider suggesting that a Scout organize the MB library rather than doing it yourself?

Also: You have fewer than 10 Scouts at present. No need right now to waste time fussing with Troopmaster.(This message has been edited by Shortridge)