Blue Cards are a restricted item?

It all boils down to the fact that the Scoutmaster is in charge of the advancement in their troop. The Scoutmaster providing (i.e. choosing) the MBC for Scouts is part of the quality control that he may choose to maintain. Not all registered MBCs are equal!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are one unit that is finding more efficient ways to manage Merit Badges. I love the idea of boys seeking other adults and working on their own on badges but in 5 years despite promoting this idea for 3 of those years, only two boys came to me to independently work on a badge with a counselor, in one example I was the counselor.

Given the nature of the way boys and families work, I don't have time to change the world but with my limited time, I adapt to it (within reason). We encourage participation at the dreaded merit badge colleges, merit badges at summer camp and we sometimes hold our own merit badge classes. (Our merit abdges are a quality effort, not a rubber stamp deal).

Not only is it nearly impossible to get boys to seek out and work merit badges independently, most boys never finish partials, even with regular coaching and reminders from parents, adult leaders and patrol leaders.

That being said, the council and district MBC list is horribly out of date and we are in a more remote area so troop only MBC works for us. I got sick of re-registering with council every year for the same merit badges when I am a troop only MBC. (Why am I not open to all units ? I have enough time going into scouting now, don't have time for other boys from elsewhere calling me for even more of my time is the reason why).

Last year I re-submitted my MB list back to council early May. They did nothing for weeks and then contacted me late June about the mandatory YPT. I wnet online and could not find my records. After a number of calls they fixed the problem and there was all my current training including YPT.

It then dawned on me, my Adv. Coordinator only sent in the Advancement report, not all the blue cards. I asked myself why I was bothering to get writers cramp filling out 17 seperate blue cards when I ahve a groop do E Prep at my fire station for example. Adv Coordiantor told me she your prefer a spreadsheet with the boys and requiremtned, just put a date in the cell when a requirement was done.

At that point we dropped blue cards and registering MBC's. The boys still get a QUALITY merit abdge where they learn something from an experienced adult, there are no YPT issues, less time filling in byzantine blue crds and no hassles with council. It works much better for everyone even though it is not by the book.