I'd peg the year at 1965 based on that blog of unvarnished truth, Wikepedia, under Eagle Scout Leadership Project

History

The merit badges required for Eagle have been a requirement since the inception of the award. A Scout's "record of satisfactory service" with his troop was first added to the Eagle requirements in 1927. This changed in 1952 to "do your best to help in your home, school, church or synagogue, and community." This vague statement was refined to "plan, develop, and carry out a service project" in 1965. In 1972 a leadership component "give leadership to others" was added.

c.f. Peterson, Robert (November - December 2002). "The Way It Was: Evolution of the Eagle Scout Award". Scouting. http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0211/d-wwas.html.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, for a long time after I returned to scouting and was doing all those ASM things with boys working their way to Eagle, some of them asked what my project had been and it stopped me 'cause for the life of me, I couldn't remember something that should have been really memorable. And then, much later, I realized that I wasn't going senile after all (don't say it!!!). I couldn't remember because I hadn't done one. Whew! I'm still wondering about why they added it to the requirements though? That's probably buried out there somewhere as well.

I know this situation is OBE at this point but I side with those who say don't sign. I have seen scouts literally decide to NOT finish out as Eagles because they'd seen guys like this get passed through the ranks to the point that the Eagle rank no longer meant anything to them. Letting someone like that through just cheapens the rank for the rest of us.

Coming late to this party.

We had a somewhat similar situation in our troop a few years ago. There was not a question of the scout's behavior or moral character, but he had been inactive for two years. The he showed up by surprise with a project workbook signed off by the beneficiary of the project as complete, and the project had never been approved ahead of time. This was not the only issue, but was the most significant issue. Both the SM and the CC refused to sign the eagle application. The council gave the scout his eagle anyway.

This scout will get his eagle unless the EBOR turns him down. So whether or not you sign will have no impact on his receiving the award. As you have acknowledged there are problems with the way the program is being run and this is just a symptom. No scout with the track record you described should have made it as far as he did without substantial corrective action, and that is primarily up to the SM.

I like Lisabob's suggestions of having a sit down with the youth without the dad and asking him why he thinks he should get the award. Make sure that he knows you are signing with reservations, but go ahead and sign.

Then get with your adult leadership and make the necessary revisions to your program, and possibly adult leadership if that becomes necessary as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, everyone trying to be friendly curtious and kind but I'll cut to the chase....

I say resign, Anyone that would blindside a kid a day before he turns 18 has no clue about the Scout Oath and Law and shouldn't have the privilage of working with youth. Really looks like this guy has more issues with dad than he does with the kid. Where were you when this kid was working on second class and life?

Amazing how many people involved with scouting are on power trips.