STEM-NOVA award, making it cool (and rewarding) to be a geek/nerd

Speaking as a geek/nerd (I prefer geek, but both terms were applied to me when I was young and could still be applied to me today), I am proud that Scouting is stepping up to the plate in this regard. I was a four-year letterman in high school, I'm going on a 4-hour hike with a friend the day after tomorrow, I am an Eagle Scout, I also love math, science, and tech and know that 42 is "The Answer". ;) Anyway...

The NOVA-SUPERNOVA award program will be introduced at the BSA Annual Meeting in May 2011. All other components to be developed and introduced 2011 through 2013. Bottom line: To make it cool (and also rewarding) to be a Scout who is interested in doing science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

The NOVA Award program consists of individual activity elements in various STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) topics structured for either Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts/Venturers. These topics are designed for high participation and to increase interest in STEM by making it relevant and fun.

STEM SUPERNOVA Award Program: The SUPERNOVA Award program is similar to the BSA Hornaday Award Program. The basic requirements are to earn certain Academic Pins (Cub Scouts), Activity Badges (Webelos) and Merit Badges (Boy Scouts) plus complete various other more rigorous STEM related requirements. The Venturing requirements are based on more independent achievement and teaching activities. SUPERNOVA is designed to encourage and recognize more in-depth achievement in STEM.

Cub Scout

o Cub Scout: Luiz Walter Alvarez Award -- Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck ribbon

(Yes, the flyer I saw said "Luiz" not "Luis")

o Webelos: Charles Townes Award -- Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck ribbon

Boy Scout

o Basic: Bernard Harris Award -- Certificate and Bronze Pocket Medal

o Intermediate: Thomas Edison Award -- Certificate and Silver Pocket Medal

o Advanced: Albert Einstein Award -- Certificate and Gold Pocket Medal

Venturing:

o Sally Ride Award -- Certificate and Bronze Pocket Medal

Adult Scouter:

o Paul A. Siple Award -- Certificate and Bronze Pocket Medal

I didn't recognize all of those people, so I looked them up on Wikipedia and grabbed the first paragraph of the intro to the article:

Luis Walter Alvarez (13 June 1911 1 September 1988) was an American experimental physicist and inventor, who spent nearly all of his long professional career on the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley. The American Journal of Physics commented, "Luis Alvarez (19111988) was one of the most brilliant and productive experimental physicists of the twentieth century."

Charles Hard Townes (born 28 July 1915) is an American Nobel Prize-winning physicist and educator. Townes is known for his work on the theory and application of the maser, on which he got the fundamental patent, and other work in quantum electronics connected with both maser and laser devices. He shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1964 with Nikolay Basov and Alexander Prokhorov.

Bernard Anthony Harris, Jr. (born 26 June 1956 in Temple, Texas) is a former NASA astronaut. On 9 February 1995, Harris became the first African American to perform an extra-vehicular activity (spacewalk), during the second of his two Space Shuttle flights.

Thomas Alva Edison (11 February 1847 18 October 1931) was an American inventor, scientist, and businessman who developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park" (now Edison, New Jersey) by a newspaper reporter, he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large teamwork to the process of invention, and therefore is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.

Albert Einstein (14 March 1879 18 April 1955) was a German-born theoretical physicist who discovered the theory of general relativity, effecting a revolution in physics. For this achievement, Einstein is often regarded as the father of modern physics. He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect".

Dr. Sally Kristen Ride (born 26 May 1951) from Los Angeles, California, is an American physicist and a former NASA astronaut. She studied at Portola Middle School, Westlake School for Girls, Swarthmore College and Stanford University, and earned a master's degree and a PhD. Ride joined NASA in 1978, and in 1983 became the first American woman and then-youngest American to enter space. In 1987 she left NASA to work at Stanford University's Center for International Security and Arms Control.

Paul Allman Siple (18 December 18 1909 25 November 1968) was an American Antarctic explorer and geographer who took part in six Antarctic expeditions, including the two Byrd expeditions of 19281930 and 19331935, representing the Boy Scouts of America as an Eagle Scout. Siple was also a Sea Scout.

http://www.tac-bsa.org/Home_files/NOVA%20Handout.pdf Where I found the information that I posted here.

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/RTN/RTN2010.aspx "The BSA STEM/NOVA program is designed to bring a Scouting focus to skills that are relevant and needed in our competitive world."

Yeh, reading the links posted and the stated long lead times to unroll these awards (two years?), I cannot get excited. But let me say National #$%@$!^ better FINALLY release the requirements for Robotics merit badge next week (National Robotics Week) as promised and long overdue!

It would be great if there were MBC's registered and informed in preparation of this announcement but that is another story. Reminds me of what happened last year with those four historic merit badges...

My $0.02

And yet I can't find anything about this through Exxon Mobil. Some of the components listed in the BSA program already exist as separate Exxon Mobil programs for all young people.

What are the actual requirements for earning these awards?

Bart brings up a good point about these awards, with the almost total devastation of the outdoor program in boy scouts and in leader training by National and the continuing alarming decline in troops and boy scout numbers these awards may indeed attract all the "nerds/geeks" out there into joining boy scouts since they will never have to camp out in the woods. The question is will there be enough nerds coming in to replace all those boy scouts who are leaving, and will the boy scout program that remains even be fit to be called Boy Scouts? I rather doubt it.

If it is so bad to have "nerds" in your troop then why does BSA brag about Armstrong and almost 50 astronauts making Eagle? Besides, who needs scouting more then the kids who don't want to go outside?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eagle_Scouts_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)

The boys who do not want to go camping are the slackers, We won't get them for anything and that is fine (even though they need it most) BUT I would love to get some highly motivated scouts who are interested in science into my troop! While many of them may enjoy the outsdoors the reality is if they are focused on their goal then BSA is probably not going to interest them despite this ribbon.

I think what it is good for is the bosy already in scouting to build America up again and take back our leadership in all the sciences!

Still do not know where these large quantities of scouts are that "do not camp". Unless you are insistent that the only real camping is to hike in, then I would say 95%+ troops camp, and 60-70% camp almost monthly, or other similar outdoor day activities. Many do more than one a month; and the "super troops" usually do two or three major high adventure activities as well. If the "scouts do not camp" complainers are referring to cubbing, then they are misplacing their concern. But in our area, cub camping is not uncommon on the family level; and most do day hikes to nature related activities a number of times a year.

Yes, it is possible for a boy scout to squeak by to Eagle without any significant camping experience; but unless the troop is simply ignoring "all" the requirements, even he will have had more than most kids not in the program.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

Adam

You just plain missed the point, the BSA mission is not to create scientists, that is for our school systems. It is fine to have scouts interested in science and we have MB's, etc. to address those needs. The BSA has its own special focus and the more we veer away from that focus the weaker the program becomes replacing scoutcraft skills with robotics or computers as a primary focus the organization ceases to be the boy scouts.

Nerd/Geek types really can use the boy scout program to learn that the world does not revolve around a computer or a lab and to help them grow into well rounded leaders. As far as the astronauts are concerned, a few years back I got to meet and talk with Buzz Aldrin on his book signing tour for about half an hour, and I can tell you he is anything but a nerd as are most of our astronauts who risk their lives everytime they take off into space. So that argument of yours is also invalid.

4-H predates the STEM acronym with their own Science, Engineering, and Technology (SET) programs in association with their respective state university. Not uncommon to see a 4-H club in a FIRST or NASA robotics competition at all levels.

Other former scout nerds: Bill Nye (the Science Guy), Steven Spielberg, Bill Gates.

This announcement seems like vaporware.

Another $0.02

I think we'll have to wait for the annual meeting and see what the real announcement looks like.

I don't object to having this option available, but I agree that this is not the thing that's going to make a big difference to Boy Scouts. The thing that makes Scouting a distinctive activity is the focus on the outdoors and camping. That's the brand. It's never going to be the case that Boy Scouts and the Robotics Club get mixed up in your mind.

Well, personally, I think that geeks/nerds make the best Scouts. I think dumb "jocks" (despite being a 4-year letterman myself) are the ones who don't know what the Outdoor Code is (to go off on something of a tangent, basically the Outdoor Code is what Leave No Trace is back before you had to pay hundreds of dollars to be "qualified" to teach it).

In reply to BadenP

"Adam

You just plain missed the point, the BSA mission is not to create scientists, that is for our school systems. It is fine to have scouts interested in science and we have MB's, etc. to address those needs. The BSA has its own special focus and the more we veer away from that focus the weaker the program becomes replacing scoutcraft skills with robotics or computers as a primary focus the organization ceases to be the boy scouts."

Nerd/Geek types really can use the boy scout program to learn that the world does not revolve around a computer or a lab and to help them grow into well rounded leaders. As far as the astronauts are concerned, a few years back I got to meet and talk with Buzz Aldrin on his book signing tour for about half an hour, and I can tell you he is anything but a nerd as are most of our astronauts who risk their lives everytime they take off into space. So that argument of yours is also invalid."

I don't think I did. The BSA's stated purpose at its incorporation in 1910 was "to teach [boys] patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred values." I see not a word about woodcraft, a boy can be self reliant with a job in a lab or at a computer just as much (actually moreso nowadays) then as a lumberjack... Make no mistake I believe a strong outdoor program is needed as much today as it was at the beginning. But the reality is many troops lose boys (or never get them) because they compete for the boys attention.

From the handbook

. . . mentally awake, . . .

Develop your mind both in the classroom and outside of school. Be curious about everything around you, and work hard to make the most of your abilities. With an inquiring attitude and the willingness to ask questions, you can learn much about the exciting world around you and your role in it.

BY updating the program it does not cease to be the Boy Scouts, it just stops being the same as it was when you and I were boys. I think they lose something as a result but, what good is a great program with no scouts?

I am not sure you understood what I said. I absolutely agreed they need the scouting program however you seem to think I use nerd in the derogatory. I most certainly did not most people who identify as nerds or geeks nowadays are very well adjusted and social, they tend to be academically achieving and into gadgets and tech...

The simple point I was making is this, to boast about so many Astronauts being eagle scouts and then to completely reject any science program in scouting is hypocrisy. National does not do it so why should we? The world is far more technical then it was when Buzz was going into space. The computer in your cell phone is thousands of times more powerful then the computer in the Apollo rockets, the kids today LIVE in a technical world, they learn about advanced science and technology when you and I were learning cursive (by the way they no loonger learn cursive). Being a nerd is simply being a kid in todays world and the Boy Scouts need to reflect reality if we want to interest them.

I concur with Baden P.

All scouts benefit from outdoor adventure, which used to be the BSA's main selling point.

Many nerdy guys have indeed worked their way thru the ranks and become Eagles, astronauts, etc.

But they didn't gain the lion's share of their scientific achievement, or knowledge, from the BSA. They either got a taste of it through a MB and desired more, or their school work qualified them for the MB.

Those astronauts from yesteryear didn't hang around the lab or the math classroom excusively during scout time. That was done in junior high, high school, or college. The BSA focus was on the outdoors.

I knew some very nerdy, bright but really awkward kids growing up. Mixing with other kids and getting outdoors broadened their horizons, I think.

I'm not sure that this represents a sizable step away from the principles of the BSA. We are creating a recognition for earning specific merit badges that already exist. Nobody is clamoring to remove the World Conservation Award or the Hornaday Awards and, yet, those are undeniably focused on science and involve earning science-related merit badges. If encouraging Scouts to earn science-focused merit badges will bring the downfall of the BSA then we would have closed our doors a long time ago. This award simply recognizes Scouts who choose to collect merit badges in a certain area.

If a Life Scout requested a Scoutmaster conference, and his elective merit badges were Chemistry, Computers, Electricity, Engineering, Geology, Energy, Astronomy, Robotics ,and Space Exploration, would you reject him on the basis that he is "out of touch with Scouting?" I don't think so. This STEM-NOVA project is designed to be an award, not a rank. If we abolished rank advancement in favor of STEM-NOVA then we would have cause for alarm but, as it stands, I think we should welcome it.

And incidentally...

How many leaders would be complaining about this if they got a square knot in addition to the medal?